elemenoh

Sad Mac when connecting external SCSI2SD to SE

Getting chime then Sad Mac 0000000F / 00000002 whenever connecting an external SCSI2SD to a Mac SE.

I've tried the following:

- Changed out the ROMs to newer FDHD versions

- Connected to external CD-ROM which worked okay

- Made sure internal HDD was set to ID0 (since the volumes of the SCSI2SD are on 1,4,5,6.

- Disconnected the internal HDD

- Checked voltage rails OK

This SCSI2SD works fine on many other Macs.

Any ideas for what to check next? I'm kind of at a loss since SCSI seems to be working fine with the CD drive.

It could be the 53C80 SCSI controller itself. Is it known to actually work? It's soldered down (not socketed) on the SE, I believe, but you might want to consider trying to replace it, if you don't know that it's functional.

9 hours ago, aperezbios said:

It could be the 53C80 SCSI controller itself. Is it known to actually work?

It works fine with an external CD-ROM, but maybe it has some other fault. 

Is the external version Termination Powered? Have you tried an external power source?

edit: which version of SCSI2SD are you using? Can the USB port be used to supply power?

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini

16 hours ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

Is the external version Termination Powered? Have you tried an external power source?

It's termination powered. I haven't tried external power yet, but haven't needed to on any other Mac. I'll give that a try though.

16 hours ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

which version of SCSI2SD are you using? Can the USB port be used to supply power?

I'm using the external 5.5. Yes, it has a port I can connect to try it out.

https://store.inertialcomputing.com/product-p/scsi2sd-v5.5-usps-int-1st.htm

Good! My WAG was that your SE has weak termination power for whatever reason. Has it been recapped? Have you got a meter you can use to determine the power output level if the USB power test proves successful?

So I tried with an external USB power source and it made no difference. I also tried with a couple other SE MLBs and hit the same issue. So it sounds like it might be some kind of config issue with the SCSI2SD. I might try disabling all but one ID and see what happens. Any other suggestions?