Sign in to follow this  
Mikeyy00

Classic II - how to get online

Hi,

Have a Classic II, going to install 7.5 on it. I sourced one of those Asante Localtalk to Ethernet adapters.. so that gets my Mac talking Appletalk on the network. I have a Pismo running 9.2, I think that'll be able to "see" the Classic and file share.. but is there a way to use this setup to somehow facilitate an internet connection on the Classic?  Yes, I know browsing isn't happening.. but I really want to get my IRC fix using the Classic.

Thanks!

A2Server (RaspberryPi) or MacIP.net (virtual machine or bananaPi) will connect to the internet over localtalk.

File sharing is possible, also with windows PC.

Edited by dochilli

To expand on this a tiny bit: the general class of software you need is called a "MacIP gateway".  This is something that you install on the Ethernet side of your network and it does the relevant magic to make IP work over LocalTalk.

The two that @dochilli mentioned above are probably the two easiest to set up.  There is period-appropriate software around as well but it's probably best to go with the modern options.

Ended up using "MacIPGW" along with connecting the Classic II via an Asante ethernet - localtalk bridge. Works great. Not the quickest in the world.. but I can chat on IRC, and transfer floppy images in ~1 minute or so. No complaints.