JDW

SCSI ID Selector Switch on back of Hard Disk SC

I have a Hard Disk 20SC external SCSI drive enclosure that has a SCSI ID selector switch on back.  Because I am using a non-stock IBM DGHS 4.5GB drive inside, I've left the SCSI ID select switch cable disconnected.  But I am eager to change the SCSI ID on the fly.  

Here's a photo of the drive label, showing the SCSI ID jumper settings:

IBM DGHS 4.5GB Hard Drive Specs

I believe the precise jumper settings follow what is shown on page 17 of this PDF.

And here's a photo of the inside of my HD20SC (a still image from my PSU recapping video):

HD20SC_JDW.thumb.jpg.0c5cc34eb4e6dd240779197884ed2c67.jpg

It seems that an ST-225N was the stock drive and its SCSI ID jumpers seem to correspond to that blue connector in my above photo:

225n1.gif

What I am curious about is how the HD20SC's SCSI ID selector cable works.  I haven't yet torn apart my HD20SC to figure it out myself.  I will do that, but I wanted to post here first. The above ST-225N diagram shows 4 pairs of pins that can be shorted to select SCSI ID, but the drive enclosure's blue connector only has a 6-wire cable, meaning it could only control 3 pairs, not 4.

Any thoughts?

Now that I ponder the DGHS's jumper table a bit further, it seems that only 3 pairs of pins are jumpered in order to select SCSI ID's 1 to 7.  So it should be a simply matter of extending the wires of that Blue connector so it reaches the front of the drive.

Great video, I'm going to see if I can follow the same procedure for the SCSI selector on my external CD ROM drive - put a 300i in a Panasonic SCSI enclosure (Panasonic drive was dead) - would be nice to be able to select the ID's.

Thank you for the kind words, Eric.  Getting the SCSI ID selector to work on my HD20SC has been very useful, so I know you will benefit from the effort required to make it happen on your CD drive.