JDW

MacEffects Clear Case REVIEW, for SE & SE/30

@techknight for a clean appearance then would it be OK to use a shielding paint to make the back of the tube uniform? For guitar use there is a conductive paint for shielding inside pickup cavities. (or the original aquadag of course).

Not crazy about setting up the inside of the clear case with chrome, metallic flake paint, colored powder coat on the chassis etc. Sounds like a Hot Rodded Ford coupe  .  .  .

.  .  .  or worse, a PC Gamer's rig. :p

Tastefully neat goes a long way though. I have an Amiga 1200 with the A1200.net clear case - sanding and painting the metal shielding a flat black was a big improvement. I think my Mac's frame would look great in a flat black too, not the scratched-up gray it is now.

22 hours ago, aeberbach said:

@techknight for a clean appearance then would it be OK to use a shielding paint to make the back of the tube uniform? For guitar use there is a conductive paint for shielding inside pickup cavities. (or the original aquadag of course).

it has to be conductive, and grounded. Also it has to be applied properly, almost identically to that of what the original Dag coating had. 

Also Guitars =/= 10 to 12KV of energy. 

Edited by techknight

Great content as always @JDW - Thanks for the mention at the end! I though how could a case review be a 1 hour video, watched it, and didn't realize an hour had gone by :)

While I do think the clear case looks nice, I think it's "not for me" - I like the look of an original retro-brighted case.

If you haven't, consider a donation to his channel! Making in depth videos like this is time consuming I'm sure.

@maceffects Are the Rev A cases still available at all?  JDW mentioned it in the video, but I don't see them on the site so I'm assuming they're all sold out?

JDW does some of the most thorough reviews on compact Macs that I've come across on Youtube. I really enjoy his videos and come away with learning many new things. Were it not for his PSU and analog board recapping videos (which I have watched multiple times), I would not have had the confidence to perform those tasks on my Mac SE FDHD. 

@Torbar I still have some more.  If you are looking for one please send me a PM. 

@krishnadraws & @erichelgeson You are right he does great work.  His videos have helped me many times.  That is why I thought I should send him something to thank him for his great work.  Fortunately, he turned it into an amazingly helpful video that will show others the install process too.  And don't worry I have some original beige systems as well.  Everyone has their own look they want.  I'm always discovering what cool mods people do. 

@JDW thanks for sharing yet another terrific video.  I am about halfway through and the details you include is always fascinating.  I always learn something new from your videos, for example I had never thought about the different types of first-gen ADB mice even though I have certainly noticed the different mouse ball colors over the years!  You also have a great and friendly presentation style, not to mention the professional editing.

One observation, I am surprised you recommend prying apart the case with bits of metal.  I am a big proponent of the no-pry case opening technique described nicely by @Dog Cow here:  https://macgui.com/news/article.php?t=479   In my experience it works 100% of the time on both original Macs and SE/30s and means no metal ever has to touch any part of your case except the screws!  It may be worth sharing with your YourTube viewers.

Edited by Crutch