ZaneKaminski

Made ROM SIMMs, wrote ROMdisk driver, need help debugging

On 7/28/2020 at 2:41 AM, ZaneKaminski said:

I also think that it's an embarrassment that there isn't an open-source StuffIt clone! Maybe I will start a StuffIt clone project and we can all contribute.

Stuffit Expander does have an alternative: MindExpander. It's not open source, but it is Freeware IIRC. I used to use that in the late era Mac OS before moving on to Mac OS X. Seemed compatible enough and was less bloated than Stuffit Expander, and I can't remember having any issues with it either.

9 hours ago, cheesestraws said:

Disinfectant

Have you ever encountered any of the viruses it's supposed to protect against? Nevertheless any of them for the past 30 years or so.

Also, I'd vote BBEdit Lite (freeware) to be included. TeachText is severly limited in text editing. For instance, it doesn't support a text file over 32kB in size, since that's a resource limitation or something like that.

Edited by jammi

8 hours ago, jammi said:

Have you ever encountered any of the viruses it's supposed to protect against? Nevertheless any of them for the past 30 years or so. 

A couple of them pop up often enough in older downloads in my experience that it's probably better to be safe, especially given that Disinfectant is really light and small.

On 7/31/2020 at 3:09 PM, reukiodo said:

I've had a lot of time to think about what to include in a 'recover' image on the thread https://68kmla.org/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&controller=topic&id=56932

I'm curious if we could fit all of these utilities in the 8MB SIMM with System 8.1, I would definitely order one. Since it has a switch for 2 different 8MB ROMs, maybe one with the popular 7.1 option, and the other with 8.1 for HFS+ support?

Your 8.1 ROM image thread is interesting. I'm guessing it would be feasible to have a 7.1 image with Ethernet and AppleShare for an 8MB ROM. Have you come across anyone making a ROM disk image like that?

On 7/30/2020 at 1:19 PM, JDW said:

I've sent you two PMs about your ROM over the past few days but haven't heard back from you. 

QUESTION 1: Do these ROMs come programmed or not?  It might be blank.

QUESTION 2:  If the ROM is blank, can I use my ROM-inator II programmer to program Zane's ROM?  If so, where is the *.bin file?

Sorry for my absence--please check your PMs.

Yes, it should have been programmed when sent to you, but a mixup could have happened. I am not sure if the programmer can program my ROM SIMM, but it can certainly read it out (if indeed it originally supported that feature). The ROM is here, named rom2M.bin: https://github.com/garrettsworkshop/MacIIROMDiskDriver/tree/dev/bin

On 7/30/2020 at 6:52 PM, tt said:

@ZaneKaminski Are the SIMMs programmable from the host machine? If not, can we use our programmers that were designed by @dougg3? I saw the screenshot of the utility to adjust the options, how does that work? Your comments on updating the way drivers work in ROM are very interesting.

Is it possible to fit networking in the 7.1 boot image to allow for connecting to AppleShare servers? This is something I've wanted to do with my 8MB SIMM but I don't remember if it wasn't feasible or if it requires too much space.

Also definitely interested in buying one. If you need help testing the new 8MB board I'm interested in checking it out.

No unfortunately it's not possible to program them from the host machine. If the dougg3 programmer does not work with the SIMM, it would just be a software issue that can be rectified with an update. I will look into this after we send the 8MB SIMM out since the chips are not socketed on that one. Yeah, I have included AppleTalk on the 7.1 image (for the 8MB ROM) as well as the 6.0.8 image (for the 2MB ROM). I think we have enough testers right now, but we have more gizmos planned in the future so there will be opportunities to test other things.

On 7/31/2020 at 6:09 PM, reukiodo said:

I've had a lot of time to think about what to include in a 'recover' image on the thread https://68kmla.org/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&controller=topic&id=56932

I'm curious if we could fit all of these utilities in the 8MB SIMM with System 8.1, I would definitely order one. Since it has a switch for 2 different 8MB ROMs, maybe one with the popular 7.1 option, and the other with 8.1 for HFS+ support?

Ooh yes, this is a good idea. I am getting sick of having to transfer stuff between my old Macintoshes and new Macs as binhex files on a FAT-format floppy.

On 7/31/2020 at 9:48 PM, cheesestraws said:

Trying to get what everyone wants from their recovery partition into 8mb, especially a read-only 8mb, sounds like an impossibility.  A better option is probably where things were going to start with; provide enough of a basis to get other things on safely.  So, disk utilities, CD-ROM drivers, maybe Zip disk drivers (?), Ethernet drivers, Disinfectant, AppleShare.  It's probably better to think about this as a Disk Tools replacement, rather than as a full Recovery Partition.

Yes, I've been seeing it as a disk tools replacement too but didn't think to articulate it that way. I unfortunately even had to remove TattleTech, sadly, since the latest version comes in at 1.4 MB... too big considering everything else that must fit into the 7.5 MB image.  I've got everything you mentioned except the Zip disk drivers and the ethernet drivers. I can include the Iomega Zip disk driver, but there are quite a few manufacturers of ethernet cards and even more card models. Unless someone has some kind of universal driver for all of the adapters with a particular chipset, I don't think ethernet drivers should be included. BMoW's SIMM has compression, so you can evidently get 50% more space, but that requires a lot of RAM to decompress the image into, so we prefer to target ours a little differently and not implement any kind of compression. So unfortunately we're stuck with 7.5 MB.

Oh, on a funny note, I just graduated from college in May, and while putting the 8MB ROM disk together, I noticed one of my professors credited in the about screen of Disinfectant! How funny, in the "small world" kind of way--he is in the mathematics department at The Ohio State University, not even in the computer science or EE department. I'm gonna write him a note about it.

Oops, didn't see the posts on page 4 earlier when I replied...

On 7/31/2020 at 10:25 PM, jammi said:

Stuffit Expander does have an alternative: MindExpander. It's not open source, but it is Freeware IIRC. I used to use that in the late era Mac OS before moving on to Mac OS X. Seemed compatible enough and was less bloated than Stuffit Expander, and I can't remember having any issues with it either.

Ooh, I will look into MindExpander, including just personally.

On 7/31/2020 at 11:19 PM, jammi said:

Also, I'd vote BBEdit Lite (freeware) to be included.

Hm yes, I would like to, but BareBones still exists so I will have to ask them. Hopefully they agree.

On 7/31/2020 at 11:26 PM, cheesestraws said:

A couple of them pop up often enough in older downloads in my experience that it's probably better to be safe, especially given that Disinfectant is really light and small.

Unfortunately it's still ~600 kB, which is a lot heavier than some of the more basic utilities which may weigh in at just 8-32 kB. But it's worth it to include.

BTW, Norton Utilities although commercial, is a powerful utility pack and the company does not exist anymore.

Edit: Apparently Norton still exists. Symantec Utilities for Macintosh is another set of powerful disk tools. Not all of them are useful though.

Edited by jammi