Sign in to follow this  
erichelgeson

Repair a 15" Multiscan

I'm attempting to (safely) diagnose and repair a 15" MultiScan monitor for my 6100.

The symptom is a vertical line - I can see the boot screen/etc change in this 1px wide sliver:

IMG_20200617_204606.thumb.jpg.ff91b14f95a5d0d959c7d2b231ff8508.jpg

The back cover comes off with two screws and two tabs which I'm not able to determine how they are released:

IMG_20200618_103534.thumb.jpg.0c7edd4da10d2608bfcc6eb8bd2a3210.jpgIMG_20200618_110622.thumb.jpg.a71744dc43bfe6728dda7411f93a0b7b.jpg

If anyone knows how to release those tabs please let me know!

PS: Yes I understand the dangers and am taking precautions as I attempt this repair, I wont continue if I feel it is too difficult or unsafe.

Seems like you don't have horizontal deflection.  Check the horizontal connections on the yoke and look at the PC board to see if anything (big transistors or caps) look like they're distressed.  You might have a bad HOT.

Ive ran into this problem in the past. 

There is a transistor that goes bad on a little tiny daughter card style PCB thats mounted on a heatsink in the rear of the monitor. 

You should check this. (Im going from memory, dating back to 2000, so it can be fuzzy)

I just noticed the transistor on the heat sync to the left does not have a middle leg - not sure if that's intended or not. Visual inspection after removing dust, i cant see any apparent damage. capacitor looks a bit bulged.