OldMacGuy

A Bit Of A Rarity

Awesome find!  Glad it made its way to a collector rather than a landfill.

The book "Revolution In The Valley" is all about the making of the original Macintosh, written by much of the team,  most of which has been posted to folklore.org,  so here's a relevent story about them switching from the Twiggy to the Sony drives

https://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?project=Macintosh&story=Hide_Under_This_Desk.txt

Whole site and book is worth checking out

9 hours ago, Torbar said:

Awesome find!  Glad it made its way to a collector rather than a landfill.

The book "Revolution In The Valley" is all about the making of the original Macintosh, written by much of the team,  most of which has been posted to folklore.org,  so here's a relevent story about them switching from the Twiggy to the Sony drives

https://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?project=Macintosh&story=Hide_Under_This_Desk.txt

Whole site and book is worth checking out

awesome site. I’ve read every page on folklore.org. Great stories about the gestation and birth of a world-changing product. History told by those who made it.

10 hours ago, OldMacGuy said:

The ROMs of the other 2 were dumped. I just emailed the person who dumped them: James Macphail of Sigma Seven Systems in Vancouver BC. Hopefully I’ll hear from him soon.

It looks like the ROMs out there are different from yours -- they have the normal blinking ? in a disk, not the symbol in one of your photos.

12 hours ago, slomacuser said:

I can upload them to garden, they are ver 4.4 and 4.3 ...

Thanks, that would be great!  Although the icon in your graphic seems to be yet another version than the one in OP’s photo.

They are up on garden, my graphics are from version 4.3 the 4.3T ROM is from 07/04/83, ROM 4.4T version looks very similar to standard Macintosh 128k ROM.
Except it has a different floppy disk driver.

9 hours ago, slomacuser said:

They are up on garden, my graphics are from version 4.3 the 4.3T ROM is from 07/04/83, ROM 4.4T version looks very similar to standard Macintosh 128k ROM.
Except it has a different floppy disk driver.

If/When I get the ROM dumped, I will make them freely available to the community. Per DogCow’s research, the 2.45 ROM is from mid-March - mid-April 1983.

9 hours ago, OldMacGuy said:

If/When I get the ROM dumped, I will make them freely available to the community. Per DogCow’s research, the 2.45 ROM is from mid-March - mid-April 1983.

Thanks for doing this. I can't really understate how much I've gained from all of the materials the community has shared on outlets like Bitsavers, Macintosh Garden, the Internet Archive, and so on. I always try to pay it forward with stuff from my own collection.

As a side note, does anyone have a schematic of the ROM adapter? If the ROM gets released I might burn it to some real ROMs and throw it in my retail Mac 128 for a laugh :D

23 hours ago, tattar8 said:

Good luck!

Any idea if those ROMs are on the Web somewhere?

They've been on Mac GUI Vault for a few years: Twiggy Mac prototype ROM

I also did some write-ups back in 2014, investigating the file format and ROM:

Twiggy Mac ROM disassembly

Report on Twiggy Mac disks

8 hours ago, blusnowkitty said:

As a side note, does anyone have a schematic of the ROM adapter? If the ROM gets released I might burn it to some real ROMs 

It isn't necessary to have the adapter. You can merge the contents into a Hi and Lo ROM as used on the production Macintosh board. Some people have already done it a few years ago with the newer Twiggy ROM version.

Edited by Dog Cow

8 hours ago, Dog Cow said:

It isn't necessary to have the adapter. You can merge the contents into a Hi and Lo ROM as used on the production Macintosh board. Some people have already done it a few years ago with the newer Twiggy ROM version.

Ah cool; so 

copy /b high1.bin + high2.bin combined_hi.bin
copy /b low1.bin + low2.bin combined_lo.bin

or for *nix

cat high1.bin high2.bin > combined_hi.bin
cat low1.bin low2.bin > combined_lo.bin

Burn to a pair of 27256 EPROMs and enjoy? Sounds easy enough.