aperezbios

Scuznet SCSI to Ethernet Adapter PCB & parts kit

If I'm counting right, they're all spoken for, but if not, I'd like to purchase one too (assuming the atxmega128a3u is pre-programmed). Thanks!

Ok so I just got these PCBs today, I had them done in red and here's what they look like.

Component

uyAXv1N.jpg

Solder

27BPX5c.jpg

And here's the board post-assembly. This took about 2 hours to complete. Please note the power jack holes are too large for the jack itself, so I wrapped some solder wick around the pins for void fill before soldering it down.

OEY4Xpt.png

Solder side

6akpIma.jpg

I have 9 PCBs, people who are interested and posted above get first dibs. Please PM me with your address and I will send you my PayPal email so you can pay.

Shipping is $5 via First Class Mail Parcel, plus $2 for the PCB = $7 delivered.

You can purchase parts from DigiKey using the BOM files and DigiKey's BOM tool.

Edited by switch998

11 hours ago, techknight said:

How do you solder the SD card connector? 

This type of connector has a flip over cover, the metal cover on top essentially flips up vertically. With that up, the pins, that are just about visible through the cover in the picture, should be accessible for soldering.

Very elegant in implementation and looks fantastic as well. What are the dimensions of the PCB? Were you able to decode the addressing  in order to use a single SCSCI ID for both functions?

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini

8 hours ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

Very elegant in implementation and looks fantastic as well. What are the dimensions of the PCB? Were you able to decode the addressing  in order to use a single SCSCI ID for both functions?

PCB is 80x100mm. There's a technical discussion with a bit more detail here:

Just FYI to those who are building this: The BOM has a discrepancy (at least the CSV BOM on github does) where it calls for an atxmega64, while the firmware is built for atxmega128 in the makefile. I don't know if it will make a difference, but I would assume the 128 is the correct part.

I ordered the atxmega64 from the BOM without checking, and it would program but wouldn't boot up. After a few minutes of head scratching/debugging, I realized I had the incorrect part. I changed the target AVR type in the makefile, so we'll see if it works with the ATxmega64 once I have some time to set it up.

Also, to program this chip you'll need a PDI programmer, I used my EEPROM programmer TNM5000, which does support PDI (and writing the config EEPROM) over the ISP port. I think you may also be able to use a buspirate and avrdude, or JTAG.

Edited by switch998

Thanks, so at 80x100mm, replacing the FDD in something like my PowerBook 150 and adding WiFi bits to it ought pose no technical problems? That's assuming hardwiring connections. I'd been planning to put a Micro EN/SC in the 150's HDD Bay along with a CF adapter on the IDE connector. But the Micro version seems sparse enough on the ground that I'm thinking more along the lines of preserving both of mine (DAMMIT!) rather than hacking one.

With WiFi, who really needs a Floppy? You could make it look just like your French Connection @bibilit [:D]

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini

8 hours ago, techknight said:

If this is a popular item, this might be something @maceffects could potentially build and sell at a low volume, if its economical. 

Sure, if demand exists and it can be done cheaply enough I'd be happy to help with something like that.  Though part of me wants to make a custom case for it too... :lol:

On 7/18/2020 at 10:49 AM, switch998 said:

Just FYI to those who are building this: The BOM has a discrepancy (at least the CSV BOM on github does) where it calls for an atxmega64, while the firmware is built for atxmega128 in the makefile. I don't know if it will make a difference, but I would assume the 128 is the correct part.

Sorry about that, I updated the BOM after making my prototype but didn't change the Makefile.  Fixed on Github.  So you're aware, I have not tested the 64A3U (my prototype uses the 128A3U) but the chips should be identical except for the extra memories, which the firmware doesn't use.

These look great! but there's no way I'd be able to pull off all that surface mount without screwing it up. If someone ever starts producing assembled (or at least surface mount assembled) versions, I'd be very interested.

Would this work to get ethernet connectivity under A/UX on an SE/30? I'm skeptical as I haven't been able to confirm that *any* of the existing SCSI to Ethernet adapters work under A/UX, but perhaps my information is incomplete.

9 hours ago, tdr said:

Would this work to get ethernet connectivity under A/UX on an SE/30? I'm skeptical as I haven't been able to confirm that *any* of the existing SCSI to Ethernet adapters work under A/UX, but perhaps my information is incomplete.

Very likely not. I don't think there are any A/UX specific drivers for SCSI Ethernet solutions, A/UX was an expensive beast, so most of its users probably went for pricier internal cards that were supported instead, for the supported Mac models that didn't include Ethernet as standard.

8 hours ago, Daniël Oosterhuis said:

Very likely not. I don't think there are any A/UX specific drivers for SCSI Ethernet solutions, A/UX was an expensive beast, so most of its users probably went for pricier internal cards that were supported instead, for the supported Mac models that didn't include Ethernet as standard.

Yeah that sounds plausible, thanks.

10 hours ago, tdr said:

This is a wonderful opportunity to learn how to write System V network drivers...

*ducks*

On 8/12/2020 at 12:50 AM, tdr said:
On 8/12/2020 at 12:26 AM, Daniël Oosterhuis said:

Yep, high end systems only. Wasn't A/UX and IIfx an Apple/NSA development kinda deal? Would big UNIX installations have been Ethernet or Token Ring based in that time frame?

8 hours ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

Yep, high end systems only. Wasn't A/UX and IIfx an Apple/NSA development kinda deal? Would big UNIX installations have been Ethernet or Token Ring based in that time frame?

I do know A/UX was meant to entice Uncle Sam into adopting Macintoshes running it, due to the whole "government must run POSIX compliant operating systems" thing in the late 80s.