Jump to content
Kwahu

NEW GAME for 68k based Macs - VergeWorld: Icarus

Recommended Posts

That's insanely incredible! 8-o You've really got something in the making here!

 

I'll happily buy a copy when it's released! :D

 

Do you have any plans on recording Programming sessions? (I love watching/learning the process of coding for these old machines.)

Edited by PowerPup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks incredible! Considering a Mac has weaker graphics for games than an Amiga, what kind of hardware would we need for it to run like in the video?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jinnai said:

That looks incredible! Considering a Mac has weaker graphics for games than an Amiga, what kind of hardware would we need for it to run like in the video?

I'm guessing that you would need at least a 68040 to run those 3D graphics...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Byte Knight said:

I'm guessing that you would need at least a 68040 to run those 3D graphics...

Currently it's playable on a 68020, and we want to have it working on 68000 after rewriting it from C to asm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s awesome.  Would be interested to know your approach.  My first reaction was “there’s no way to do full-screen blitting fast enough on a 68k Mac” but either (1) I’m wrong (but I don’t think I’m wrong) or (2) you are only double-buffering the area around the ship, and the rest of the background is being drawn direct to screen with hidden surface elimination, which is pretty clever.

 

I’m not sure how much of a perf boost you will get moving from C to asm, though, depending on where the code is slow and assuming you’ve already done all the obvious things like loop unrolling, which I’m sure you have.  (And of course, no color Macs had a 68000 anyway.)

Edited by Crutch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow that is great!  I'd love to hear more about your Dev environment, shared code base between Amiga/Atari/Mac, how you achieved it etc.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Crutch said:

That’s awesome.  Would be interested to know your approach.  My first reaction was “there’s no way to do full-screen blitting fast enough on a 68k Mac” but either (1) I’m wrong (but I don’t think I’m wrong) or (2) you are only double-buffering the area around the ship, and the rest of the background is being drawn direct to screen with hidden surface elimination, which is pretty clever.

 

I’m not sure how much of a perf boost you will get moving from C to asm, though, depending on where the code is slow and assuming you’ve already done all the obvious things like loop unrolling, which I’m sure you have.  (And of course, no color Macs had a 68000 anyway.)

Currently we only have Amiga and Atari versions, I have just bought Macintosh Performa 475 and will start porting like next month. We don't use any custom chips so I assume that porting is doable. 

We are using 2 environments right now, one is Cygwin and the other is Ubuntu on Docker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Full disclosure, we do not expect to achieve more than 12 fps on pure 68k, we will try to adjust the game play so that 12fps is enough to play and beat the game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your demo looks very promising. Some thoughts: A monochrome variant for the original 68000 is a completely different beast than colour games for the later models. However considering the original Flight Sim ran on an Apple II a game like yours is surely doable on a 68000.

The demo seems to require only 16 colours - on a Mac freely picked out of a 24bit palette. This helps with the original LC's slower system bus.

Your screen size seems also quite moderate. It may fit on the original monochrome's 512x342 pixels, and the popular Macintosh 12" RGB display (512 or 560 x 384).

For me the flight scene looks so attractive, I would want to see it embedded in a full game story.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1.

With some modification to the color palette, the flight scene could be the sequel to Another World, after the ending scene, perhaps?

Rewriting the horrible Heart of the Alien, that fortunately never made it to the Mac.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×