Sign in to follow this  
68kMacx86

Performa 600 won’t turn on

So my Performa 600 was in the middle of installing system 7.5.0.  I fell asleep and when I awoke in the middle of the night I found it was asking for disk 7 so I inserted it. As a side note I salvaged a floppy eject motor from my IIci and it works beautifully. So, anyways, I noticed the computer froze so I push the power button on the rear but nothing.  Nothing when I hit reset. So I pull the power and plug it back in and now it won’t turn on. It’s been perfectly fine before this. I had replaced the PRAM battery but now it’s removed so anything that needs resetting can drain its power. 

So I found a bunch of capacitor goo all over the Egret chip. I decided as painstaking as it is to remove the board and wash it. Then I used a hair dryer to dry it. First try to power on was death chimes. So I  hair dried it some more and allowed it to sit while my wife made dinner. 

I wolfed down my ribeye steak and put desperate housewives on paws. It clicked. Wouldn’t power up but clicked. Tried another PSU. It clicked. I let it sit some more while I watched the rest of desperate Housewives and then I tried to turn it on. A beautiful chime followed by a power off. Took a few more tries to get it on. Now it seems ok but I’m not sure