Jump to content
JDW

Video: Recapping the SONY CR-44 Power Supply (for SE & SE/30)

Recommended Posts

I finally finished my video on recapping the SONY CR-44 PSU, which can be used in the SE and SE/30.  The video is long but informative.  A Mouser Cart is linked in the text description under the video (you'll have to watch it on YouTube to see that), for those of you wanting to easily purchase all the electrolytic capacitors required.  You also find a link in that description to my SEASONIC PSU replacement video, for those of you who haven't seen that one either.  There's still reason to recap the SONY PSU though -- it's fanless and dead silent when operating.  If you have only 1 PDS card and no major upgrades, the SONY PSU, once recapped, is more than adequate.  Enjoy.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@JDW Thank you so much for taking the time to make this video, I appreciate this must have taken a lot of your time.

 

I was struggling to find a replacement for the original 620 uF 400V capacitor for C162 but after watching your video I've found a United Chemi Con 680 uF 400V which should be fine, I hadn't originally realised that using higher capacitance was OK until I watched your video!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have watched so far just the first 3 minutes. Is it accepted/veryfied knowledge that the Sony has a black switch and power connector and the Astec a white one? I'm asking because I'm having two SE/30's with Sonys and one has black components and the other one whites...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, joshc said:

I was struggling to find a replacement for the original 620 uF 400V capacitor for C162 but after watching your video I've found a United Chemi Con 680 uF 400V which should be fine, I hadn't originally realised that using higher capacitance was OK until I watched your video!

That 680µF 400V capacitor is listed in the Mouser Cart that I always put in the Text Description beneath every one of my videos.  I would encourage everyone to always check the Text Description because it contains far more than just that.  I actually spend days crafting the Text Description alone to ensure not only that all information is 100% accurate, but that I feel satisfied that the information presented is sufficient to help people accomplish what is set forth in my videos.  The only downside to providing a Cart is the Mouser is always putting at least one item in the cart on backorder.  But if you search Mouser for the same voltage and capacitance and take note of the physical size of the caps in my Cart to ensure your replacement (for the backordered items) is the roughly the same, you'll be fine.

 

3 hours ago, Oberlehrer said:

I have watched so far just the first 3 minutes. Is it accepted/veryfied knowledge that the Sony has a black switch and power connector and the Astec a white one? I'm asking because I'm having two SE/30's with Sonys and one has black components and the other one whites...

It's not only the color of the power switch that differs.  The vent holes in the side of the PSU also indicate different models.  In my experience, the SONY PSUs do have the Black power switch.  I've yet to see a white one on a SONY, but that isn't a 100% guarantee that there were never any.  In the world of sourcing electronic components, you never know!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JDW said:

In my experience, the SONY PSUs do have the Black power switch.  I've yet to see a white one on a SONY, but that isn't a 100% guarantee that there were never any.

344964025_sonypowersupply.jpg.8975444ec54c0f59dd785da4f5deeef2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which is why I said, "In the world of sourcing electronic components, you never know!"  SONY might have wanted black parts but were only able to secure white at some point, or maybe white was cheaper at one point in time.  But as you can see, there are no heat vents on the side of the SONY PSU.  But on ASTEC PSUs, there are heat vents there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×