Jump to content
K55

RaSCSI Development Thread

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, landoGriffin said:

(BTW - I owe Saybur a beer, or 20. His documentation for how the Nuvolink works is AWESOME!)

Aha!  You're doing that?  That's great.  Means I don't have to. ;)  I didn't want to do it much but it's a bit of a prerequisite for other things I want to do soooo...

 

And yes, that documentation is wonderful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2020 at 6:51 AM, Endsjustify said:

2 different lid options would be good, one with and one without allowance for the 2nd db25 board. That’s really just because I wrecked my extension board by accident during my build so won’t be using it (I do prefer the access to the internal SCSI connector anyway). ;)

 

Punch out, access for the lcd screen extension would also be handy. 

Great suggestions! For the 3D-printed case, I think there might end up being several variants:

  • Internal hard drive bay mount
  • External with one DB25
  • External with two DB25

And then, there's the question of which Raspberry Pi. If you're going to use a Raspberry Pi 4 instead of a Zero W, that would be a different case, right? And what if you want to use a Zero W with a USB Ethernet Adapter (for eventual Ethernet support)? There seem to be a ton of possibilities.

 

Work and family have kept me super tied up for the last couple of weeks, so I haven't been able to build my RasSCSI yet. I hope to very, very soon. I'll probably get started on the case before I even get it working with my Mac. :lol:

Edited by PotatoFi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, PotatoFi said:

Great suggestions! For the 3D-printed case, I think there might end up being several variants:

  • Internal hard drive bay mount
  • External with one DB25
  • External with two DB25

And then, there's the question of which Raspberry Pi. If you're going to use a Raspberry Pi 4 instead of a Zero W, that would be a different case, right? And what if you want to use a Zero W with a USB Ethernet Adapter (for eventual Ethernet support)? There seem to be a ton of possibilities.

 

Work and family have kept me super tied up for the last couple of weeks, so I haven't been able to build my RasSCSI yet. I hope to very, very soon. I'll probably get started on the case before I even get it working with my Mac. :lol:

The difference between the 2, 3 and 4 is really just the power and hdmi ports in terms of external access. You could get around specifying a case per board by making a simple single slit opening at the base of the Power I/O side that is large enough to accommodate all the ports instead of a single opening for each port (like the attached picture). A Pi zero could theoretically run the ethernet dongle out of any of the unused ports on a full sized case, so you could really just look into an alternate mounting scheme to mount a zero in a full size case versus a seperate pi zero case. You could even include port blockers to plug in place to give it a cleaner appearance versus unused openings if opting for a Zero.

 

Just some thoughts.

 

IMG_3574-1.jpg

 

Edit: Actually, further thinking about it... the GPIO and rear mounting hole locations don't change for the raspberry pi zero to full size (see attached images), so there may not really be much mounting difference to consider. Just add 2 extra mount points for the forward mounting holes of the pi zero (if even necessary, possibly for stability) and maybe a second slit for the alternate location of the sd access (if you choose to provide external access to the SD, it doesn't really feel necessary in am appliance type device like this).

IMG_6115.jpg

IMG_4262.jpg

Edited by Endsjustify

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2020 at 3:19 PM, landoGriffin said:

Holy cow!! The RaSCSIs sold out on Tindie!! Thank you to everyone who ordered!

And I didn't place my 2 orders yet... well by the time I get my other projects done and I'm ready for this one, I'm guessing the next RaSCSI revision will be out and about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm having trouble mounting an ISO image. I have a `.iso` off the web for A/UX 3.0.1 and I've attached it with `rasctl -i 2 -c attach -f /path/to/file.iso`

It shows up as a CDROM using Lido 7.56. On my Mac IIsi running 7.5.5 I installed "Apple CD-ROM Setup 5.3.2" and I now have some CDROM-related Extensions in my System folder.

 

In Lido, when I click on the drive, I just get the error chirp. Is it my ISO image perhaps?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NoTrueSpaceman said:

I'm having trouble mounting an ISO image. I have a `.iso` off the web for A/UX 3.0.1 and I've attached it with `rasctl -i 2 -c attach -f /path/to/file.iso`

It shows up as a CDROM using Lido 7.56. On my Mac IIsi running 7.5.5 I installed "Apple CD-ROM Setup 5.3.2" and I now have some CDROM-related Extensions in my System folder.

 

In Lido, when I click on the drive, I just get the error chirp. Is it my ISO image perhaps?

Well Quick fix... I copied `CD-Sunrise v2.2c` to my Extensions folder and now I can see the drive. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, quorten said:

And I didn't place my 2 orders yet... well by the time I get my other projects done and I'm ready for this one, I'm guessing the next RaSCSI revision will be out and about.

Should have a big batch around the end of October (fingers crossed). JLCPCB is renovating their factory, so they're limiting orders right now. (If anyone has any suggestions for alternatives that SMT assembly for about the same price, I'm all ears!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, NoTrueSpaceman said:

Well Quick fix... I copied `CD-Sunrise v2.2c` to my Extensions folder and now I can see the drive. :lol:

You re-discovered issue #1 on Github!

https://github.com/akuker/RASCSI/issues/1

 

You need to use a hacked Apple driver in order for the Apple CD driver to work. There are probably also third party drivers that work, but I went with the hacked apple driver method.

 

I'll add a note to the setup instructions. It probably doesn't help if this is buried in the Issues list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, landoGriffin said:

You re-discovered issue #1 on Github!

https://github.com/akuker/RASCSI/issues/1

 

You need to use a hacked Apple driver in order for the Apple CD driver to work. There are probably also third party drivers that work, but I went with the hacked apple driver method.

 

I'll add a note to the setup instructions. It probably doesn't help if this is buried in the Issues list.

I totally forgot about this too.  I'll add these details to the wiki re: mounting ISO images w/ RaSCSI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, landoGriffin said:

Should have a big batch around the end of October (fingers crossed). JLCPCB is renovating their factory, so they're limiting orders right now. (If anyone has any suggestions for alternatives that SMT assembly for about the same price, I'm all ears!)

Any chance of there being extra 2nd db25 boards/connectors to buy, I ruined mine during my build... long story. I’m not sure I’d ever use it it, but it would be nice to have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Endsjustify said:

Any chance of there being extra 2nd db25 boards/connectors to buy, I ruined mine during my build... long story. I’m not sure I’d ever use it it, but it would be nice to have. 

Yup! I'll send you a PM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, landoGriffin said:

(BTW - I owe Saybur a beer, or 20. His documentation for how the Nuvolink works is AWESOME!)

Great to hear, I'm glad people are getting use out of it.  Let me know if you see holes in the docs, I can fill those in from the original hardware if needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, landoGriffin said:

You re-discovered issue #1 on Github!

https://github.com/akuker/RASCSI/issues/1

Ha! I knew I'd seen something about CDROM support but (at the time... Thanks NF_!) the setup docs have had a placeholder and I couldn't remember where.

 

I'm trying to boot/install A/UX and have had a bear of a time.  I could get the Mac trampoline boot system setup, but the A/UX-proper installer side of things needs to access a second partition of the CDROM directly with all the A/UX stuff. (I think?)

 

I wonder if supporting the standard Apple CDROM driver would allow A/UX to work. Evidently it's picky. It doesn't seem to respond to having an alternate driver installed.

 

I used a random ShoeBill image and strangely it would completely boot into A/UX but be utterly too slow to use with 5MB of RAM. When I upgraded to 65MB of RAM, it freezes early in the boot process!

 

System 7.5.5 is crazy fast with 64MB though ;)

 

Overall everything seems to be working from the RaSCSI side. I need to setup the web frontend and try that out again. I also need to get the MacCon card I have working. I'm missing the bracket, so it's a bit precariously installed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, NoTrueSpaceman said:

I'm trying to boot/install A/UX and have had a bear of a time.  I could get the Mac trampoline boot system setup, but the A/UX-proper installer side of things needs to access a second partition of the CDROM directly with all the A/UX stuff. (I think?) 

Slightly offtopic here, but from my experience (admittedly with scsi2sd) it is a lot easier to just copy the A/UX image to a virtual hard disc, boot from that and not muck about with CD-ROM emulation at all.  The installer will quite happily run from something it thinks is an HD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, cheesestraws said:

Slightly offtopic here, but from my experience (admittedly with scsi2sd) it is a lot easier to just copy the A/UX image to a virtual hard disc, boot from that and not muck about with CD-ROM emulation at all.  The installer will quite happily run from something it thinks is an HD.

I tried that route and didn’t get it to work. How did you copy the image to a virtual hard disk? Do you mean mounting the iso? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NoTrueSpaceman said:

I tried that route and didn’t get it to work. How did you copy the image to a virtual hard disk? Do you mean mounting the iso?  

I'm going to write up a writeup of how to do it when I have time and energy.  What I think I did was set up a new block device on the scsi2sd (using v6 here), dded the ISO onto it, replaced the driver on that logical device with the normal hard disc one using HD SC setup, then booted from it.  It does work, because this is the only way I could get the thing installed here :-).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, got the emulated HD up and running on my LC III with OS 7.5.5 after tinkering around with HD SC Setup 7.3.5 (Patched).  No such luck with mounting CD's.  I've installed Apple CD/DVD Driver 1.3.5 and patched it per instructions, but I get the "disk unreadable by this Macintosh" message (see below) when I try to mount a CD.  It appears that it at least sees the image as a CD.  Maybe my iso disc image is bad?  Is there any site that has a bunch of Mac iso image downloads that I could use for testing?

 

991949597_ScreenShot2020-09-15at5_19_43PM.thumb.png.031d8d7211ec80e1f23cb1a61176c8ac.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I downloaded the Myst French version iso image from Macintosh Garden and the CD mounts fine.  Still looking for a site with Mac CD iso images or does everyone just convert them from other image formats?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I usually start with www.macintoshrepository.org and www.macintoshgarden.org.

 

If you find a .toast file, you just need to rename it to .iso, and it should work fine with RaSCSI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, landoGriffin said:

I usually start with www.macintoshrepository.org and www.macintoshgarden.org.

 

If you find a .toast file, you just need to rename it to .iso, and it should work fine with RaSCSI

Good to know - thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One step closer to working Ethernet! Today RaSCSI was able to receive packets from the Mac and write them to a Linux tap device :-) 

2020-09-20-163010_3840x1080_scrot.png.a3a038abf59cd4e904bd9a47d3253c75.png

 

Traffic still doesn't go the other way, so the overall function is FAR from usable, but this made me happy! :-D

 

Happy Sunday everyone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, landoGriffin said:

One step closer to working Ethernet! Today RaSCSI was able to receive packets from the Mac and write them to a Linux tap device :-) 

2020-09-20-163010_3840x1080_scrot.png.a3a038abf59cd4e904bd9a47d3253c75.png

 

Traffic still doesn't go the other way, so the overall function is FAR from usable, but this made me happy! :-D

 

Happy Sunday everyone!

Amazing work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, landoGriffin said:

One step closer to working Ethernet! Today RaSCSI was able to receive packets from the Mac and write them to a Linux tap device :-) 

 

Traffic still doesn't go the other way, so the overall function is FAR from usable, but this made me happy! :-D

Nice!  It would be awesome to have Ethernet functionality too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×