supernova777

GPUs that support accelleration in MacOS 8.6

The 7500 and 8500 get confused because their R-codes are so similar, IE, "R200" for the 8500 verses "RV200" for the 7500. They *are* different products and not directly driver compatible. The 7500 is *basically* an die-shrink of the original "no model number" Radeon, but note that it also is not *completely* compatible with it as it includes the "Hydravision" feature originally rolled out on the RV100 core, IE, The Radeon "VE" or Radeon 7000. If you have a Radeon driver that predates the replacement of the original Radeon SDR/DDR there is a very good chance it'll barf on the 7500 and the ROMs for the two types are certainly not compatible.

As to the VE/7000, also be clear that this is a essentially a completely different chipset from the original Radeon, in that it has a *lot* of the 3D acceleration hardware dumbed-down or omitted entirely. (It has half the pixel pipelines, no T&L, no Hyper-Z, etc.) It was positioned as a budget/slash/business-oriented solution and 3D performance-wise it's barely better than RAGE 128 cards. (IE, it's not much of an upgrade to replace the stock RAGE 128 in a B&W with a 7000.) The only good things about it were:

A: It eliminated the severe texture-size limitations of the RAGE 128 and many other cards of that generation, which is why it's the dumbest GPU that supports Quartz Extreme, and

B: "Hydravision" support, which allowed two DACs (or a DAC and a digital output) to share a single virtual framebuffer, which was in some ways more efficient than having to render two "separate" screens for dual-heading.

So, in short, *Chronologically* Radeon cards go like this:

Radeon DDR/SDR/LE -> Radeon VE/7000 -> Radeon 7500 -> Radeon 8500 (different family)

Performance-wise they go like this:

Radeon VE/7000 -> Radeon SDR/LE -> Radeon DDR -> Radeon 7500 -> Radeon 8500

And, again, be clear, the 7500 is *not* exactly the same as the old Radeon, both are better than the 7000, and while later versions of the "Radeon" extensions for Mac OS support all of them (I believe, anyway) the ones contemporaneous with a given generation of cards will almost certainly not like a newer one.

I don't think the Mac Edition R7000 is green. I think it's red. I could be wrong. I have one around here somewhere... its in box 59, but I can't find box 59. Apparently I didn't put it back in it's proper segment of the attic... Sigh.

http://www.insidemacgames.com/previews/view.php?ID=35&Page=7

this is the article here that clams the radeon 8500 has driver compatibility with os8.6

Driver Support
Always a touchy issue, we were reassured that this card will ship with both Mac OS 8.6/9 and OS X support out of the box, and ATI will continue to support and enhance the drivers for both operating systems. They even plan to include RAVE support, and of course OpenGL support will be the core of the 8500’s performance on our platform. ATI has well over five years of experience developing and testing Mac OS drivers, and we don’t expect that to be discarded when the 8500 arrives.

I don't think the Mac Edition R7000 is green. I think it's red. I could be wrong. I have one around here somewhere... its in box 59, but I can't find box 59. Apparently I didn't put it back in it's proper segment of the attic... Sigh.

The retail boxed version I had was red.

Well found a pair of the PCI Radeon Mac editions I have (both were in B&W G3 machines.

1st one is P/N 109-85500-01 Radeon 7000 mac32m  green board (has VGA, DVI and S-Video out, just a heatsink for cooling) 2002 ATI

2nd one is P/N 109-77700-00 R6 SG32M green board ( has VGA, DVI, S-Video out and heatsink + fan for cooling) 2000 ATI

Bummer is the one B&W G3 with my RTMAC card had a red maxell battery explosion. The board looks fine (other then  the battery holder falling off) and it leaked into the case (hinge area, cleaned up as best as I could). First time for me to have this problem, the machine was stored inside.

post-6-0-20908000-1489900682_thumb.jpg

post-6-0-01642900-1489900761_thumb.jpg

Edited by Unknown_K

The red ones that seem to be the ones always leaking. Never seen one in a G3 PPC leak before (and to be honest I tend to remove them when I store units).  Anyway outside of the mess the machine still works 100%.

ok cool coz yea all mine are green SAFT type batteries.. i never had a problem ever (knock on wood) how many macs do u have to own before this becomes a real issue? i think i have under 10 at least ;) maybe thats why im in the clear LOL

Edited by supernova777

I have had that machine for maybe 10 years, it can happen to anyone at any time. Store unused machines without the battery (not sure how I forgot that one in there).