360alaska

3D-Printed Objects

22 hours ago, Jinnai said:

I don't like hijacking maceffects, but I have a couple from a scrapped centris 610...

-pic-

If shipping to the Netherlands isn't too crazy, I'm definitely interested :) 

Given you mentioned a scrapped 610, do you happen to have the spare middle blank bezel or CD-ROM bezel for that same computer too, that you might part with?

On 8/11/2019 at 10:38 PM, MarNo84 said:

Hi,

sadly I couldn't find my fine measurement tools :( I just tried my best on some pictures :/ maybe someone also has a CC and could make it much better than I did ;)

15655558608472.jpg

15655558610248.jpg

15655558609305.jpg

15655558608853.jpg

15655558610469.jpg

15655558609957.jpg

15655558609476.jpg

15655558607219.jpg

15655558608021.jpg

15655558607670.jpg

Hmm I just want to ask again ;) does anyone every tried to recreate the Macintosh Color Classic front badges/logos? Unfortunately I lost my small logo/badge after I measured it :/

On 6/3/2020 at 2:30 AM, Daniël Oosterhuis said:

If shipping to the Netherlands isn't too crazy, I'm definitely interested :) 

Given you mentioned a scrapped 610, do you happen to have the spare middle blank bezel or CD-ROM bezel for that same computer too, that you might part with?

Putting in a random address in the Netherlands returns an estimated shipping cost for up to a pound of $23.28 USD. Its $13 if I select "large envelope" but... especially with a bezel, an envelope would be impossible.

19 hours ago, Jinnai said:

Putting in a random address in the Netherlands returns an estimated shipping cost for up to a pound of $23.28 USD. Its $13 if I select "large envelope" but... especially with a bezel, an envelope would be impossible.

At that shipping price, I'm definitely interested, feel free to shoot me a DM.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4494947

Finished the flip-out foot for the Dekstop PCI Power Mac line. My 7200's ...let's just say I underestimated just how brittle these plastics can be. I thought I was being gentle, but apparently that wasn't gentle enough, so I mocked this up last weekend.

On 6/3/2020 at 2:31 AM, MarNo84 said:

Hmm I just want to ask again ;) does anyone every tried to recreate the Macintosh Color Classic front badges/logos? Unfortunately I lost my small logo/badge after I measured it :/

Just curious, MarNo84, you're looking for just the plastic piece itself, right? I haven't seen anything (at least on the consumer level) that can do the 3D object printing and the screen printed text. I think the best one could hope for is a 3d print, with a clear printed label, similar to what Maceffects did for his SE/30 clear case purchasers— i.e. a clear label set in Apple Garamond. 

As far as making an STL. I could probably do it, but this is one of those pieces I'd need to have in-hand—a bit impractical in the current climate :/ When I duplicate parts I constantly take measurements with my micrometer. I'm not saying all of this this to completely put the idea down, but just expose the reality, if you haven't already been thinking about that yourself.

The pain points are really the curve/bevel on the bottom. Another is the shape—that gentle curve across the face of it— getting the resolution on that will be a tall order for the average consumer printer. I'd really need to have it in-hand to be able to take the subtle measurements and refer back to it, without having to have the back-and-forth of camera angles, etc.

Finally, the color. Unless you don't mind white or a gray that doesn't quite match, it's going to be very tough, nigh impossible, to color match it.

Edited by jessenator

A couple of people asked about these specifically, in reference to my adventures in CRT swapping land, so I finally got them up on Thingiverse: trim pot adjustment tips. These are long enough that one could potentially use them freehand, but are also designed to fit into 4mm hexagonal toolkit driver handles. 
HCs09tih.jpg

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4499563

FYI, on my analog board, most of the trim pots the flat blade worked fine, but the width coil adjustment needed the 2.5mm hex.

Edited by jessenator

On 6/24/2020 at 7:29 PM, jessenator said:

Just curious, MarNo84, you're looking for just the plastic piece itself, right? I haven't seen anything (at least on the consumer level) that can do the 3D object printing and the screen printed text. I think the best one could hope for is a 3d print, with a clear printed label, similar to what Maceffects did for his SE/30 clear case purchasers— i.e. a clear label set in Apple Garamond. 

As far as making an STL. I could probably do it, but this is one of those pieces I'd need to have in-hand—a bit impractical in the current climate :/ When I duplicate parts I constantly take measurements with my micrometer. I'm not saying all of this this to completely put the idea down, but just expose the reality, if you haven't already been thinking about that yourself.

The pain points are really the curve/bevel on the bottom. Another is the shape—that gentle curve across the face of it— getting the resolution on that will be a tall order for the average consumer printer. I'd really need to have it in-hand to be able to take the subtle measurements and refer back to it, without having to have the back-and-forth of camera angles, etc.

Finally, the color. Unless you don't mind white or a gray that doesn't quite match, it's going to be very tough, nigh impossible, to color match it.

Well to be true.. I would just need the badge/part in it's shaped form - even without the printing. I know it's a hard level 3d printing every detail and especially these secure points and curved shape - I would be ok with a little afterwork, grinding and sanding. My printer is capable printing very small and round structures - it's worth a try. If I would have a spare logo plastic, I would mail it to you...but actually there is no spare case to take it from :/

I've created some 3D printed "ROM Clips" that hold a Mac ROM-inator II in place on the SE/30. More info (and discussion) here: