Sign in to follow this  
zimwhatzim

IIci - best way for file transfers

So...the problem is that floppy's obviously don't hold much. Forget that, even...on El Capitan for some reason putting in a floppy formatted on my ci results in read only status. Not sure what's up with that. So, what would you all figure the best way to get files onto the machine is? 

The reason your floppies are being seen as read only is because OS X since Snow Leopard dropped write support for HFS Standard.

There's software out there that can add write support back in, but they're somewaht buggy, and I'm not sure if they support anything newer than Snow Leopard.

As far as transferring stuff around goes, I concur with everyone else, though. Either figure out a network, or use a pair of Zip drives (or a SCSI external Zip drive plus a bridge machine with a built in Zip drive; anything up through the Quicksilver (with Zip option) would do).

c

Edited by CC_333

your close enough again you should come over zim.

Yeah I know. I'll see what I have going on this weekend if you're around. 

CC_333: thanks for that. I have an iBook G3 with 9.2.2 and 10.3 installed. I'll fire that up for floppy transfers. 

olePigeon: Let me see if Macdrone has one sitting around and then I'll hit you up for assistance :)

Edited by zimwhatzim

For speed a Jaz drive would work, Ethernet would be the next best thing. For a few files ZIP drives work well, or burn a CD with an external burner. Worse come to worse stick the OS HD in an external enclosure and connect it to an SCSI equipped newer mac.

Sorry to sound like an advertisement, but Floppy Emu could help with this. You can use Mini vMac or Fuse OSX to mount a large HFS disk image on your OSX Mac, and copy all the files into it that you want. Then copy that disk image to an SD card, put it in the Floppy Emu, and run it in HD20 hard disk mode on your IIci. You could then run everything directly from the Floppy Emu, or copy all the files to the IIci's internal HD.

I've tried using ZIP disks as a sneakernet method for transferring files, and decided it was more trouble than its worth. Ethernet is a good option, once you get it set up.

Just so I know, olePigeon, what's involved with getting the ethernet card going? What software would I need? 

You shouldn't need any special software for most NuBUS ethernet cards, except for the ones from Dayna.  I found that they work out of the box by just plugging them in.  However, the only way I found to make them plug & play (if you're running System 6, 7, or 7.1) is to run your System installer, and make sure to select ALL networking options, whether you use those options or not.  You can then disable extensions as you see fit (such as TokenRing, etc.)  For whatever reason if I only select NuBUS ethernet options, it still wouldn't work, but it'd work fine if I selected all the options.

Other than that, should be fine.  Check your system folder first, though, and see if you have the Ethernet NB extension installed.  If you do, try just plugging it in, it may work.

I don't have any classic system installers unfortunately. This machine came with 7.1 and 7.5.5 pre-installed. I have a look at the system folder tonight. Regarding floppy emu, yeah I'd love to get one. They seem fantastic.

A Zip/Jazz Drive would the better option. A CD RW Drive would be great too. Followed by a network.

I have an old 8X CD RW+ Ricoh burner that works well with Adaptec Toast (4 I think). It just took forever to burn disks even at 8X. Reading them was never a problem. My Jazz Drive I switched from machine to machine and have a bootable cartridge for most machines.

SyQuest was another great cartridge disk system, but for 100megs, the Zip/Jazz cartridges were a lot smaller. Those Syquest were huge!

I set up my G5 right next to the ci for floppy disk access. It's running 10.5 and seems to work well for that. Plus I have some older OSX games from 2001-2004 I like to play. Anyway, I have wired network access via an airport that's set up to extend my current wifi network. Works awesome. So is rather stick an Ethernet card in the ci at this point versus work with external media.

Hi all,

I would say networking is the best option too. I got it working between my IIsi with a Asante NUBUS card and the iMac G4 (lamp) of my girlfriend running OS-X 10.4 on the lamp and Classic 7.5.5 on the IIsi.

This page is a great resource: http://www.applefool.com/se30/

You can get the networking client software here: http://main.system7today.com/updates/75x_68k.html(OpenTransport and Apple File Sharing Client)

Procedere: Install 7.5, the updates to 7.5.5 then OpenTransport, then Apple Sharing Client. For most NuBUS network cards no special drivers are needed.

Best is when the file server is also a MacOS system, so the resource forks of your files will not be messed up.

Regards

Florian

Hey thanks buddy! I was about to post saying that the card works great, but I cannot seem to get a connection via FTP for some reason. I believe the problem is I don't have the right version of OT. 

@Macdrone: you rock. Seriously. Thank you so much. I'll be out to visit again soon. 

7.5.5 with MacTCP as well. I do have 7.1.1 installed as well. Part of the problem is that I can't really get software larger than a floppy on the machine without networking up and running :)

Edited by zimwhatzim

I could not get my color classic setup through an airport base station.  I had yo use a 10 base T hub into a base station.  The airport seems just too new when I tried to get all the kinks worked out.

For some reason having a 10bT hub / switch in between your old Macs and anything newer seems to help.