Sign in to follow this  
zimwhatzim

My IIci

Now to get a 24bit Nubus video card, the Mac IIci Cache Card and an Ethernet Card to get it online.

Have fun!

It says the one he bought comes with a cache card and a video card. Interesting question, whether Charles also recapped the cache card (quoted listing says logic board was recapped). I think there's been some discussion of cap failures the cache cards.

Regarding Ethernet cards, I think the big three brands were Dayna, Farallon, and Asante. There were other cabling used in addition to UTP back in the IICI's day, so look for a card with an RJ45 Jack, unless you have an Ethernet media adapter laying around. Card's with RJ45, Thinnet (coax), and (can't remember the name) generic DB15 connectors all on one card are not uncommon. You just don't want to get stuck with a thinnet only card or something like that.

Edited by trag

(can't remember the name) generic DB15 connectors

AUI, aka "FatNet"because of that Fat Coax cable the connector attached too with a "Vamp Clamp"

There are AUI to RJ45 adapters out there. The small boxes are fairly cheap on ebay.

Edit - almost forgot. Depending on who made the IIci Cache card, there are 1 or 2 caps to replace on it. Apple has 1 cap on their version and its that dreaded 47µf @ 16V that leaks on all the machines it is in.

Edited by Bunsen

Hmmm. I'll take some more detailed high res pictures of the boards in the machine.  Maybe you can identify them better that way. I had a Quadra 700 years ago that had the AUI to RJ45 that worked out pretty well. I was hoping for a solution like that, if possible, though I'm not picky :D

AUI, aka "FatNet"because of that Fat Coax cable the connector attached too with a "Vamp Clamp"

There are AUI to RJ45 adapters out there. The small boxes are fairly cheap on ebay.

That's it. AUI. THE DB15 Ethernet connectors are AUI. Apple used the same style connector for displays, just to make things interesting. And before someone is driven crazy, it's probably not correct to call it DB15, but it gets the point across.

Your Q700 had Apple's version of AUI, AAUI, on the logic board and would have used an AAUI to RJ45 media adapter. The AAUI connector is much smaller than the AUI connector and has the virtue of not looking anything like Apple's display connector, although now days it bears a slight resemblance to a mini Displayport connector.

Edited by trag

Good question, I only paid $5 + $3 shipping for an Asante MCNB back in November. 

While these aren't as cheap as what I got...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131594971205Apple card for $8 + $13.50 shipping (to me)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252266624839Farallon card for $15.40 + $6.25 shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381137815128Asante MacCon II+ for $10 + $12.50 shipping

I know you're moving, ZimWhatZim, but when you get things up and running again, what is the status on the IIci?

Before I forget - The Cache card has 2 caps - those dreaded 47uf @ 16V ones that leak. Though the corrosion they do is easy to repair, they short out and causes problems and you would think it is a dead or faulty card. One of the caps is by the RAM and the other is near the opposite edge above the connector.

http://maccaps.com/MacCaps/Capacitor_Reference/Entries/1989/9/20_Macintosh_IIci_Cache_Card.html

Hm. Maybe I'll just remove the card for now. I'd rather not take a chance. Uniserver said he'd recap it. I'll PM him and talk $ :)

:D For 2 caps? It would cost more to ship it than to fix it yourself!  But if you have your take this route, it's understandable. Sometimes I wish i never learned how to solder. Then again, if I didn't I would not have had so much fun over the years!

But removing the card is a safe bet I will say.

Edited by Elfen

That's understandable. Uniserver would be the best person to send it to. I'm just thinking how funny it it that shipping would cost more than the actual repair. But you know, sometimes it has to be done like so.

I remember owning an old '73 VW Super Beetle and I had to special order some mid 70s Porsche Struts (the closest VW Equivalent since the VW ones were no longer made). I had to order from VW/Porsche/Audi who ordered them from the West Germany and shipped them to the USA. As you can guess, between shipping and customs fees, I paid more for shipping for those struts than the struts themselves! Same thing happened to a friend who owned a rare Automatic Stick Shift Super Beetle and a High Pressure Transmission Oil line broke. Again, the part had to ordered from West Germany. $80 shipping for a $30 hose less than 18in long and its fancy connectors on its ends. Least to say he was angered by the shipping fees.