Jabber

FACEBOOK

GOOGLEPLUS

TWITTER

YOUTUBE

Interests

OCCUPATION

Found 141 results

1. So, I can't get any version of System 7 to boot on this machine, which is frustrating. I have tried 7.0.1, 7.1, 7.5, none of them boot. Of course, System 6.0.8 works perfectly (go figure!). Now, this problem was present before my recap, but I thought that recapping and cleaning my logic board might make it go away, it didn't (I'm hearing words in my head I don't want to hear "Run a patch wire!"). The other thing is my serial chip, before my recap every time I wanted to do something with the SCC the mac would lock up and freeze, now, I haven't been able to test it after my recap, but I think that issue may have been fixed by recapping it. Not totally sure though Yes, I do get a nice boot chime now, as well as all the other sound that didn't work before. I don't feel that my recap job created any more problems, as these problems were present BEFORE I recapped. (Also, I'm fairly confident in my soldering skills too) Thanks
  2. Hi all, First order of business, is this a IIsi/IIfx ROM SIMM? It seems like it has the potential to be one. back side: And second order of business. I noticed that my SE/30's Video ROM is a little different than most. Most don't have a paper label placed on top of the ROM chip, and most aren't an EPROM! That's right, underneath that paper label is a glass window for erasing the EPROM with a UV light. Thought it was a little different. As always, here's a pic: Thanks, TheMK
  3. mattislind

Asante Maccon SE/30 drivers?

I traded a Radius board for a Asante Maccon board for my SE/30 and now I need the drivers. I failed to find them through google. Anyone has them? Downloadable? /Mattis EDIT: Maybe I should have written diagnostics disk. So I could check that the card is found in the machine.
  4. Blougram

Questions about SE/30

Hello, A few years ago, living in Sweden, I was having fun with an SE/30: getting it online (through a SCSI > ethernet adapter) and playing online chess, hooking it up to an external "14 LCD monitor for 24-bit 640x480 browsing. I have since moved to the US, and recently the itch to play with a compact came back with a vengeance. I got hold of an SE/30 with 8 MB RAM and a 1 GB HD; it seems to be working just fine, but I do realize that it probably needs to be recapped sooner rather than later. Anyway, I have two questions: 1) Is there any way to split up large StuffIt files into floppy-sized chunks on a PC? I have no trouble transferring smaller files through HFVExplorer and a USB floppy drive (including installing 7.5.3 using one floppy), but I haven't figured out how to transfer larger files. Would it be a good idea to get USB and SCSI zip drives? 2) I'll be getting an ethernet card in the mail, and was wondering about the best way to connect it to my WLAN. In an earlier thread, someone recommended an N300 Wi-Fi extender; would that work without a switch? Cheers, Blougram
  5. Hi everyone ... first post for me here. Have a bunch of early model macs most of them working but having trouble reviving my SE/30. Recently had the logic board recapped, just got it back and was happy to see the happy mac icon after reassembly. Looks like it boots to Sys 7.X on the internal (original) 80MB HD but near the end of the boot sequence after all the Sys 7 icons are displayed and I'm expecting to see the internal HD icon in the upper right corner, I get a pop-up message saying the disk failed to initialize. Also seeing that the floppy drive isn't recognized, as I tried to boot from floppy disk and got nothing. Tried connecting a good external 1GB SCSI HD, which I had some trouble getting to connect and boot but then same error ... which leads me to suspect this is not just a HD problem. Will take the machine apart and put a known good HD in and retest ... but wondering if anyone here has seen this partial boot then "failed to initialize disk" popup error? Thanks, Craig
  6. I'm sure this topic has been asked many times, but I want to know everyone's latest thoughts on the matter. System 7.1 seems to be slightly more lightweight than 7.5, but is it really a significant difference? I realize that almost all of the functionality in 7.5 can be added to 7.1.1 by copying the control panels over (PC Exchange especially comes to mind). I plan on using system picker to pick between 6.0.8, some version of 7 (7.1.1 or 7.5.5) and 8.1. Would love to hear your thoughts, thanks!
  7. Is there any progress or late-breaking news regarding this topic? Bw, Kristian
  8. Hi everyone, I own a Macintosh SE/30 with 5MB of RAM, 200MB HDD running with System 7.0 I know it's possible to connect one of these machines to the internet but I'm aware that's it's not an easy task ! Basically, all I know is that I need an ethernet/SCSI card. But I have no idea precisely what kind of ethernet card I need. And I don't know which software to use. Could you guys give me some advices ? I didn't manage to find any tutorial about this subject. Thanks !
  9. Hi All, Firstly, I'm really sorry if this has been covered before, I have had a search and couldn't find anything, also, sorry if I'm missing something REALLY obvious! I've just got myself a Shiva NIC and have successfully attached my SE/30 to the network and, internet. Everything, network wise seems to be working well. I can FTP to my NAS at home and get on the net... I am using Netscape 2.0.2 (and also 3.0.4 and 4.0.. My problems start when I try to make any changes to settings etc in netscape. As soon as I open up a dialogue box (to disable Java, delete certificates to renew etc) I am unable to complete the task as the windows are too large for my little SE30's screen, and so I don't have an "ok" or "cancel" button in the screen to click. I've seen various instructions to select options in Netscape, so I'm assuming I'm missing something obvious... but how do I make these dialogue boxes/windows smaller to fit on my screen and not make themselves so big I can't close or select "ok" on them? I don't know if this is a Netscape thing or a mac settings thing... please can anyone help!! Many thanks Cheers gskips
  10. ktkm

SE/30 Start-up time

I saved an SE/30 with 64MB of RAM! Since I’m not used to this amount what is the normal boot-time? It takes approximately 50 seconds for the ”happy-mac” icon to do it’s thing in 32 bit mode (Mode 32 7.5), is this normal? Is it time for a re-cap? /K
  11. SlateBlue

SE/30 Woes

I recapped my SE/30, and the repair failed to fix it. Prior to recap, the Mac had horizontal bars from top to bottom and no chime. The attached photo shows the screen after recap was completed, and still no chime. I checked to make sure RAM was installed properly. Also, if I remove the RAM, the horizontal bar pattern returns. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I apologize if the pic is oriented incorrectly. The uploader does this automatically and I'm not sure how to rotate the photo.
  12. Sexytaco

SE/30 Buying Advice

Hi, A seller near me has a lot of broken Macintosh SE/30s. Apparently they boot but they don't display anything. They're about $85-95 each. It seems that a few of them come with what appear to be Asante ethernet cards in the PDS slot. A few also have Radius Pivot cards. The cases appear to be in ok condition, not that great but not that bad. Does it sound like a relatively cheap and easy fix? Is it worth getting a few of these? Thanks
  13. Sexytaco

Macintosh SE/30 Dual Floppies?

Hi all, After buying a beautiful Macintosh Plus with accessories the other day, I soon learned there was another compact Mac I should lust after: The Macintosh SE/30. After days of sleepless nights scouring eBay, I finally found one that wasn't going to cost me my left kidney. It's in pretty rough shape, but I don't really care. I'll give it some love. I paid 80 bucks US for her. Comes with a RasterOps Colorboard 264 video card too. But what I do wonder about is the dual drives on the front? I read on the SE/30 Wikipedia page that Apple sold an upgrade kit for the SE (non /30 model) that included a new bezel along with the new internals. My first thought was that this was such a model, but then I noticed that the top slot is a fair bit bigger than the bottom one. Any ideas as to what's going on with this? Thanks
  14. I've recently gotten my hands on an old SE/30 that was stored quite well for the last few decades. I booted the machine up 2 years ago, and at the time it worked like a charm. When I went to start it up recently it displayed a typical Simasima (Horizontal lines, no boot) symptoms. I've done the following things: - Replaced the PRAM battery (it was totally dead) - Cleaned board thouroughly (although have not given it a full bath) - Replaced capacitors: C1, C3, C4, C5, C7, C8, C9, C10, C12, C13 (with 47µF, 16v, tantalum) and C6 (with 1µF 50V, electrolytic). I did not replace C11 or C2 (axial). - Removed and cleaned ROM SIMM - Removed and cleaned all RAM The good news is – it works! The machine now boots up and functions well. However, there are a few issues I have't been able to figure out: 1. The screen has a checkered pattern, almost as if its off register. However, all the troubleshooting information I've found basically says the machine shouldn't boot with a checkered pattern. 2. There isn't a proper bootup sound, although sometimes it does make a really strange garbled boot tone 3. The floppy drive is dead (probably unrelated) I'm looking for any suggestions people might have. Here are my best guesses, but I'm completely stabbing in the dark: - C2 or C11 is bad and causing the issue? - I have a cold solder(s) on my recap job (I would give my recap a B-)? - There's some kind of issue with the monitor's calibration? I've included a video of the strange boot. Any help would be appreciated! IMG_7242.mov
  15. joethezombie

SE/30 Sony Power Supply, Recapped

From the album: Macintosh SE/30

SE/30 Sony power supply after a full recap. Here's the cap list from DigiKey. It will not work for the Astec version. A couple of notes: 1. The "big guy" capacitor (620uF, 400V) is no longer made. The one in the list has a slightly higher capacitance at 680uF. The protection circuit (limiter) in the power supply can easily handle the negligible jump up to 680uF. Something very important, however: the legs on the replacement capacitor are not going to match the slits in the power supply board. I had to widen and lengthen the corners of the existing slits for the new capacitor to fit. I used a Dremel with a small abrasive bit to do this. I thought I'd taken a picture of the result, but apparently I was too excited to get the supply up and going and neglected to snap one! So, this is a picture of the completed board, so you can see the size difference and position of the capacitors. Very happy with this recap.
  16. I've just released a new game on the iOS app store, in both free and paid for versions (although, for some reason, the free version isn't showing up yet). The game is called Innecto (https://www.45rpmsoftware.com/innecto.php) and, ordinarily, I wouldn't post anything about it here because it doesn't run on 68k hardware - and is therefore of no interest except… …Except that parts of it were written on my old SE/30. Who says that modern software can't be written on old hardware, that old hardware is useless? (No one here, that's for sure!) So why did I do it? Well, for several reasons. 1.) The custom typeface used in the game, Segment, was created by me using Fontographer. I got my copy of Fontographer, bundled with a Microtek scanner (purchased from Ol' CW in the UK - as Computer Warehouse used to occasionally brand themselves), and since it still works I can't think of a good reason to spend money on a newer version. However, it does mean using either a 68k or PPC Mac - and, since it looks like arse on MacOS 8 or newer, I choose to use my good old SE/30 with A/UX (copying the files over the network onto my Mac Pro come build time). 2.) The Mac Pro (2010 model) is a great machine. It multitasks well. The enormous 4K monitor is also built for multitasking. The SE/30 with A/UX is also a great machine, and it too can multitask like a champ. It's 9" monitor, however, is great to look at but rubbish for multitasking. This is its great strength since I too am rubbish at multitasking. I get distracted. So the SE/30 is a very human scale machine, for this human. I can crack on with work without distraction. The bits of Innecto that were written on the SE/30 are: The custom typeface (using Fontographer, as mentioned previously) The help screens and documentation (using BBEdit) Some of the source code - although (obviously) the compilation was done in Xcode on the Mac Pro. So try the game, if you're able to - and take this post as further evidence that old Macs rock - and real work can be done on them!
  17. Huxley

Ultimate SE/30 Config?

Howdy guys, I've been sinking some time into kitting out my snazzy new SE/30 (purchased from our very own khannonnd). It's working nicely now and once all my packages are delivered this week, it will have: 68 megs of RAM (4*16mb sticks + half the original 8mb it came with) Mac ROM-inator II replacement ROM stick SCSI2SD with a 16GB card (to be partitioned into whatever subdivisions will make an SE/30 happy) Internal Asante MacCon II Ethernet card External SCSI CD-RW drive (still trying to find good drivers for this one, since the "Sunset" drive and FWB's CD-ROM Toolkit haven't worked well so far) Apple Extended Keyboard II + ADB Mouse As far as I can tell, the only significant upgrade other than what I've listed above would be a CPU upgrade board, but given the expense and rarity of those I'm not holding my breath. I also know some folks have opted to do a greyscale mod on the internal 9" display, but I'm not super interested in that, since a big part of the nostalgic charm of the SE/30 to me is the black-and-white 1-bit image. Other than beginning a Captain Ahab-style quest for a 68040 card and the requisite connectors, are there any other upgrades I should be thinking about in my quest for the ultimate SE/30?
  18. Off with the derby: A little accessory to match: Now fitted with a distinguished top hat:
  19. See that adapter? Think about it as a little bit of inspiration. So, the SWIM chip as we all know is an upgrade to earlier Macintosh SE machines that were equipped with 800k drives and was once an upgrade option for users who want to read and write 1.44MB floppy drives. I'm now an owner of a battery-acid-victim SE/30 motherboard and was wondering about what could be used as a donor for other systems. I am also in possession of an 800k Macintosh SE overseas and was just fantasizing about using the SWIM chip and SuperDrive from the SE/30 in the SE. First problem: form factor. The IWM and SWIM chip in the Macintosh SE is the 28 pin DIP package. Yeah, good enough. Too bad that the SE/30 SWIM form factor comes in a 44-pin PLCC form factor. (square package with pins on all sides vs. rectangle package with pins only length-wise) So, looking a little deeper at the documentation referenced below, it seems they are work-alikes, they just need to be wired up properly. And possibly it may mean that I need to do a bit of board design to get the right pinouts. This is new territory for me, but nothing's impossible, right? So then the living Mac SE gets the SWIM chip in the bespoke cradle in a DIP package, the SuperDrive from the donated SE/30, and a whole new era of parts salvage possibilities comes about. This feels easier than, say, trying to emulate the behavior of a SWIM chip in a programmable package (using a Teensy or similar that's more powerful than the Mac SE itself.. ha!) Assuming the board pinouts were routed appropriately and the thing actually works, I'd imagine this would be useful for people doing resto-mods and retro-upgrades to their Macintosh SE machines. Donor boards for SWIM chips wouldn't be limited to just SE/30's, they could come from Classic logic boards, IIci boards, etc. References: http://mirror.informatimago.com/next/developer.apple.com/technotes/hw/pdf/hw_14.pdf Apple Technical Note HW14 <a data-ipb="nomediaparse" data-cke-saved-href="http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/wrstuden/Apple_PDFs/SWIM%20Chip%20User"href="http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/wrstuden/Apple_PDFs/SWIM%20Chip%20User" s%20ref.pdf"="">http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/wrstuden/Apple_PDFs/SWIM%20Chip%20User's%20Ref.pdf Apple SWIM Chip Reference Guide http://www.ccadams.org/se/MacSEservice.pdf Mac SE Service Guide Mods - feel free to move this message into a different forum if it's not appropriate - hardware hacks? I dunno.
  20. joethezombie

SE/30 Analog Board Re-Cap, bottom

Solder-side view of the SE/30 analog board. The capacitors have been removed and the pads cleaned up, waiting for the new caps to arrive from Digi-Key.
  21. joethezombie

SE/30 Analog Board Re-Cap

All capacitors have been removed from the analog board and is now ready for the replacements to be installed. Copious amounts of electrolytic fluid has been cleansed from the board. The pots were sprayed out with contact cleaner, and exercised back and forth full-stop. Additionally, the (very noisy) fan has been replaced with a Nanoxia Deep Silence 60mm fan, NDS60-2000.
  22. joethezombie

SE/30 Power Supply Re-Cap, bottom

Solder-side view of the Sony power supply. Contacts cleaned and ready for new capacitors.
  23. joethezombie

SE/30 Power Supply Re-Cap

All capacitors have been removed from the Sony power supply and is now ready for the replacements to be installed. Copious amounts of electrolytic fluid has been cleansed from the board.