• Content Count

• Last visited

1 Follower

Profile Information

Recent Profile Visitors

642 profile views
  1. chu-oh

SE/30 Restoration Fun

Haha, I don't think i could handle all the name calling/critism/abuse I'd get in the comments. Youtube is not a kind place.
  2. chu-oh

SE/30 Restoration Fun

ERGHHH I just broke the CRT I was troubleshooting the audio settings - managed to figure out when the PSU was not screwed in the internal speaker would work. However I was trying to be lazy and squeeze it in without removing the analog board or the yoke. Unfortunately I knocked the yoke and gas escaped. Tried turning it on and lots of very scary looking sparks came out of the yoke. The CRT had awful burn in and I was looking for a replacement anyway but I'm still really annoyed at myself.
  3. chu-oh

SE/30 Restoration Fun

I was putting the scsi2sd mount that I 3d printed in today and when I turning it on I had no sound again. However I got it to work once by making sure the metal on the logic board near the ports was touching the chassis - but I wasn't able to replicate it again. So I'm thinking it's a grounding issue.
  4. chu-oh

SE/30 Restoration Fun

I just soldered the header back on and tested one more time and it's working again. No idea what changed but hopefully it stays working .
  5. chu-oh

SE/30 Restoration Fun

Thanks again JDW. I removed the header and soldered a speaker to the board and I'm getting the same issue. The person I got to do the recap has offered to have another look so I might just do that, just annoying to have to post interstate.
  6. chu-oh

SE/30 Restoration Fun

I've tried the LCIII speaker, but I might reflow the speaker header joints just to check.
  7. chu-oh

SE/30 Restoration Fun

So another issue has popped up - no audio out of speaker except for faint crackling (head phone port works fine). The person who did the recap confirmed the speaker was working when they tested so I'm thinking it's a psu/analog board issue. I've tested with my LCIII speaker which didn't work either so it's not an issue with the speaker. Any thoughts on how I should troubleshoot this?
  8. chu-oh

SE/30 Restoration Fun

Ok I'll leave it be, thanks. In other news I've pulled the floppy drive apart, given it a clean, replaced the broken gear and added some lithium grease and it's working fine. So that's another thing fixed. Only thing I need now is a CRT now hopefully something will pop up on ebay soon.
  9. chu-oh

SE/30 Restoration Fun

Thanks again @JDW. I tried all of the above with no luck but then I removed and reattached the anode cap which did the trick after adjusting it a bit. Of course I discharged the CRT before doing any of this. From what I can tell the machine was used for bookkeeping in Mount Isa Queensland at least until 2000, so the machine would have been used in really hot conditions for years on end. Unfortunately this has meant that the anode cap plastic has gotten so hot for so long that it's very dirty and sticky. Any suggestion on cleaning it? Or is it something I should just leave?
  10. chu-oh

SE/30 Restoration Fun

IMG_0656.MOV So I got the board recapped by a pro who tested it and said there were no issues. However once I got it back and plugged it in the flicking issues were still there (see video). I'm assuming this is an issue with the CRT or the flyback. Any one got any thoughts? IMG_0656.MOV
  11. chu-oh

SE/30 Restoration Fun

Thanks! I've decided my recap job was too shoddy so I'm going to get someone else to do it then go from there.
  12. chu-oh

SE/30 Restoration Fun

OK update 8 months later (I moved house, changed jobs, covid) - I've recapped the board and now it's sad chiming with horizontal stripes (same issue that @JDW had nearly 10 years ago - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKJszJMRZM4). From what I can tell the issue is most likely faulty bourns filters. Does anyone have any suggestions/input on how to fix this?
  13. chu-oh

Assigning SCSI chains

You should try and your hands on a scsi-to-ethernet adapter purely to see how far this can go.
  14. chu-oh

Radius SE 2.1 ROM Dump

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only proprietary part of the accelerator boards is what's on the ROM chips isn't it? Could you theoretically reverse engineer your own accelerator boards with off the shelf parts and a PCB?
  15. chu-oh

SE/30 Restoration Fun

Thanks, I've done a good clean with isopropyl and a scrub with vinegar around where you suggested and It's still occurring. So recap and report back. Thanks for your input, really appreciate it.