• Last visited

2 Followers

About johnklos

Contact Methods

• Website URL
    http://www.ziaspace.com/

Profile Information

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

1. johnklos

LC II Restoration project

Funny - I posted a serious question on Reddit about the best small case speaker precisely for my restored & recapped LC II. I used tantalums with a plastic diaphragm speaker (which can be seen here), and the audio sounds wonderful. Granted, though, I have no idea how the same speaker would've sounded before the recap.
  2. One 128 meg SIMM would give you two banks of 64 megs, with less fuss.
  3. johnklos

new FPU completely blocks startup

If you bought all five FPUs from the same seller, then you likely have five identical relabeled non-FPU chips. Likewise, the m68040 is probably relabeled. Shame the seller, get a refund, and try different sellers.
  4. johnklos

Can't set year 2020

For me, the simplest way to deal with current dates is to use the Network Time control panel to use NTP to set your time: http://main.system7today.com/software/networktime/networktime.html
  5. johnklos

Quadra 610 SCSI fun

Since the last device is the hard drive, then the hard drive needs to be terminated. Many Apple-shipped SCSI CD drives didn't have termination, anyway.
  6. johnklos

Quadra 610 SCSI fun

The order on the SCSI cable matters. Whichever drive is last needs to have termination enabled. Have you checked that? Plus, blusnowkity is right - if the capacitors are going, that'd definitely explain issues.
  7. johnklos

Quadra 700 - 68040 33mhz or 40mhz upgrade

There is no benefit, unless the CPU is a different mask. If you want a more overclockable / cooler running m68040, you can get a later mask CPU, like the K63H or L88M, which is made on a .57 micron process, compared with the .8 micron of the m68040s made from 1989 through 1995 (except the E26A, which was .65).
  8. johnklos

Moving to 33 MHz is still completely doable, and is 133% of the stock speed. Some folks on here are trying to make a new run of QuadDoubler-type boards. I wonder how far they've gotten...
  9. johnklos

The QuadDoubler and other clock doublers basically run the m68040 at twice the clock speed when no bus activity is going on. Luckily the m68040's 4K cache made it possible to run stuff for little bits of time without accessing memory, so these were useful some times. I've been meaning to benchmark a Quadra 630 set to run at 25 MHz with a QuadDoubler and the same machine without the QuadDoubler set to run at 40 MHz. I think in many kinds of work, 40 MHz will be faster.
  10. johnklos

The motherboard has to be able to support the same speeds as the CPU in most instances. This is why the Quadra 700, which is older, can't quite go to 40 MHz or beyond - things stop working because the timings are too far off. Whether an m68040 is marked as a 40 MHz part really doesn't matter. Except for super early m68040s (which are often labeled as engineering samples), all '040s are basically from the exact same fab processes. There was nothing different at all about the 40 MHz ones except that they were tested at 40 MHz and labeled. I've never seen a single m68040 that wouldn't run at 40 MHz. Some Quadras have issues with their serial ports above certain speeds. From what I remember, the Quadra 700 simply won't run faster than 37 MHz or so, so I think it's more than just the serial ports. The memory and VRAM need to be faster, too, since the bus speed is based on the CPU speed. Of course, running stuff faster requires more power, but unless your power supply needs recapping and/or is otherwise flakey, overclocking won't start taking so much power that the default power supply won't be able to handle it.
  11. Try the SBC kernel - it may be hanging because of the SCSI: https://cdn.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-9.0/mac68k/installation/instkernel/netbsd-INSTALLSBC.gz To get the TCP/IP control panel in to administrator mode, open it, then select "User Mode..." under "Edit", then select Administration.
  12. johnklos

Macintosh LCII Restoration

Neat! I love how well the plastics have come out. I think I'm going to try that on one of my machines soon Does your m68030 case have a crack in the casing? It's hard to see, but it appears to have some kind of jagged line on it.
  13. johnklos

68030 @ 16MHz vs. 68000 @ 16Mhz: how much faster?

All these factors contribute: Bus width. 16 bits versus 32 bits, except for LC / LC II and similar models Memory clocking. m68000 takes four cycles. '020 and '030 take three. ALU. m68000 has 16 bit ALU and '020 / '030 have 32 bit ALU Instruction cache of 256 bytes on the '020 and '030. m68000 has none. Data cache of 256 bytes on the '030. Both caches make a big difference, particularly on a 16 bit data bus. Instruction timing. Lots of instructions take less clocks on '020 and '030 than m68000. I'd generally expect a 16 MHz m68020 or m68030 to be generally twice as fast or more than a 16 MHz m68000.
  14. The mac68k page is here: http://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/mac68k/ You should only need the Booter: https://cdn.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-9.0/mac68k/installation/misc/Booter2.0.0.sea and an installation kernel: https://cdn.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-9.0/mac68k/installation/instkernel/netbsd-INSTALL.gz When it boots, if it doesn't scroll by too quickly, you can see the network card getting recognized. Once booted, exit the installer and just run `ifconfig -a` to see what the device name of your network card is. Supposing it's `sn0`, then run `dmesg | grep sn0` to get the full kernel messages for it. You can then configure it and test networking from there. If you're not sure how, let me know.
  15. johnklos

DOOM on 7 MHz m68000

Although on the Amiga, this is impressive: I'm sure some enterprising programmer could take this port and bring it to m68000 Macs. It's amazing what these old machines can do!