• Content Count

• Last visited

About Dog Cow

Contact Methods

• Website URL
    https://macgui.com

Profile Information

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

1. I sometimes use ADFS Carbon to extract files from ProDOS disk images. This is a Carbon application, so if your Mac doesn't have Rosetta, you're out of luck.
  2. Sure, but there was an FDHD upgrade for the Mac II, and maybe mg.man's Mac II has been upgraded to a SuperDrive with SWIM.
  3. The 400K drive won't work with a SWIM controller. There's an Apple Tech Note out there somewhere saying so, and I've verified it myself on an SE/30.
  4. Dog Cow

G3 mix, should I proceed?

But wait, there's more! With their PCI slots, you can add cards for USB and FireWire, allowing more mass storage connectivity!
  5. I don't know. I wasn't confident enough to say yes, because the text routines are on the "banned list" of routines that may move or purge memory. Yes, Chicago is in ROM since the Mac Plus.
  6. You can also use QuickDraw during boot. You may not be able to draw text, but you can draw lines or whatever to mark progress thru your code. You don't have MacsBug in ROM, but there's MicroBug. It has a stub for a serial port debugger. MicroBug uses some of the Managers, so it may not be accessible until later in the boot process. By the way, it is possible to reboot your Mac with MacsBug loaded in RAM. I did it on a Mac 512K, but you could probably do it on newer Macs too. This allows you to step/trace thru almost the entire boot process.
  7. Thanks. I should probably learn to read....
  8. No, because the original Mac 128K, 512K, and 512Ke don't have a name printed on front. Early revisions of Frogdesign's ImageWriter II also don't have any name printed on them.
  9. Yeah, you will need to take the drive apart and take a look at the eject mechanism. There is a limit switch that toggles the eject motor. Here's a good starting point: Fixing 800K Sony disk drive
  10. Dog Cow

Cards and drives

My new technique for these 400K drives is that I remove the 4 screws on the bottom that hold the cassette mechanism. Then I dip it in a pot of boiling water for about 6 to 8 seconds. That gets all that gunk loosened up and outta there real quick. I will document this technique some time. It sounds reckless and dangerous, but it's terribly effective.
  11. Dog Cow

A Bit Of A Rarity

They've been on Mac GUI Vault for a few years: Twiggy Mac prototype ROM I also did some write-ups back in 2014, investigating the file format and ROM: Twiggy Mac ROM disassembly Report on Twiggy Mac disks It isn't necessary to have the adapter. You can merge the contents into a Hi and Lo ROM as used on the production Macintosh board. Some people have already done it a few years ago with the newer Twiggy ROM version.
  12. Dog Cow

A Bit Of A Rarity

I tracked down the date and some more information about this model based on the written ROM 2.45 label. Persons interested in knowing more about what I uncovered are welcome to email me. You'll find my address in my sigature below (when you are logged in).
  13. Dog Cow

TCP/IP for Classic Macintosh

Yes, a null modem cable is all you need.
  14. Dog Cow

ADTPro Lisa Profile Transfer

This is what I use: goSerial. Use its Logging option and you can get the raw binary byte stream in a file.
  15. Dog Cow

TCP/IP for Classic Macintosh

Last week I began porting Internet code from Marina and today my TCP/IP stack is now able to reply to ICMP echo request (pings). Progress log is on my web site and I'll be making all updates there.