About Iamanamma

• Birthday August 19

Profile Information

Profile Fields

• OCCUPATION
    Office Manager

Recent Profile Visitors

481 profile views
  1. Absolutely, but it is getting much more difficult to repair those old IIsi and IIci's. The next generation seems to have little interest in learning what they have to do to keep everything running and backed up, and I am getting ready to retire.
  2. This G4 is really taxing my patience. I've posted another thread about the dying hard drive which was replaced. It's running OS 8.6 on a new hard drive, and seems to be just fine, except when its backup is completed at night, and the backup script tries to shut it down. To elaborate a little, I have another G4 running OS 9 set up as a backup server. We use Retrospect to back up all 4 of our PPCs. All of the backup "clients" are running 8.6. Each client machine has a control panel that is set to shut the PPC down after Retrospect completes its backup. For the last 2 days, we have been coming in to a bomb and the message that the Finder has quit due to an error Type 10. It restarts perfectly, and then runs normally. I replaced the Finder preferences already. Any ideas?
  3. @joshcDid you see my posts of the machines and our setup? It came up in a conversation I had under my "Corroded Chip" post. I posted quite a few pictures.
  4. Iamanamma

Disk Errors

That apparently is what the problem was. We started having printing problems with that G4 as well. Everything else was just getting worse. I had installed a 2nd HDD in the G4 for storage, and I moved the OS and Apps over to the secondary HDD, an now moving, saving, printing has all been (so far!) working normally. I did have some trouble emptying the trash, but as I investigated what was refusing to leave, I realized it was all stuff that was living on the failing drive. Using the Option-Empty Trash command finished off the last of the empty folders that would not leave. I found that tip on another forum here at 68KMLA.
  5. Iamanamma

Baroni’s Collection

I don't know if this will be of any use to you, but FWIW: I have a v5.1 installed in a IIci, and 2 IIsi's. I bought new 7.1 install disks from RescueMyClassicMac.com, and I could not install a bootable OS unless I already had 6.0.8 already installed and booted up. Once I figured out that I had to install 7.1 more like an update, I was able to install it and have the SCSI2SD boot and chug along doing what I need to do.
  6. Iamanamma

Baroni’s Collection

Michael has always been wonderfully helpful to me.
  7. Iamanamma

Disk Errors

We back up daily, even with our old machines, so restoring isn't an issue. I have a spare PATA HD, so I CAN replace it.
  8. Iamanamma

Disk Errors

G4 Yikes, OS 8.6 has been chugging along for a several years. It sat in storage for several years before that. Last week, we started getting disk error messages "item could not be saved due to a disk error" or "item could not be moved due to a disk error." Yet the items would be saved, or moved onto the desktop or into the trash or folders, whatever we asked it to do. I ran Norton Utilities, and other than its usual OMG you have more than one system folder! message, bundle bit corrections, custom icon corrections, and admonishments for starting file names with a period, all it found was one corrupted PDF. I ran Diskwarrior and rebuilt the directory. I deleted the corrupted file. I tested a few files, moving them in out of folders. I did not get any error messages. Has anyone else had this happen? The G4 is using a PATA HDD as its boot drive, and I was wondering if this might be a symptom of further problems to come, or if the corrupted file was the likely source of the weirdness?
  9. Iamanamma

Solid State Drive for G3?

Thanks! I'll have to mess with it some more once I get the chance.
  10. Iamanamma

Solid State Drive for G3?

I gave up on the SSD. I could never get it to work properly. I don't know if I had a bad SATA to PATA adapter or a bad SSD or if there was something else I was missing. I did have a bit of success with a SCSI2SD. There's another post on these forums where I am asking how to get rid of the bizarre hangs I was experiencing with the SCS2SD. I finally figured out what was causing them, and now it's working like a champ.
  11. Iamanamma

Corroded Chip

We are running 3 consoles, and we have installed chillers on all three to help keep the temperatures down. I am hot sure where we would fit any extra filters.
  12. Iamanamma

Corroded Chip

A couple of years ago we started getting all kinds of crazy referencing errors and discovered the bulging capacitors in our Macs. We found a guy in Michigan who does recaps for a living. One by one we sent our on duty Macs and our spares to him. He cleaned the boards, recapped them. and tested them, and only found one he couldn't completely repair. He was a life saver!
  13. Iamanamma

Corroded Chip

Everything you see in the pics is sheet metal, mostly stainless and Hot-rolled Pickled and Oiled steel. There is a little copper medallion as well. The big booth is just a lot of steel panels welded together. Since I didn't know what hardi panel was, I went and looked it up. No, we don't use that at all. All of the paneling on the Strippit machines and their consoles is fiberglass.
  14. Iamanamma

Corroded Chip

That is an excellent tip. Finding KB skins for the old keyboards is extremely difficult, and we wear right through them anyway. It is much easier to get skins for USB keyboards. Yes it most certainly does. The guys have worn right through the vinyl in spots. What you see isn't really grease. it's grit and oil. Welding and grinding are dirty jobs, and even though the welding stations are a in a different part of the shop, the grit gets everywhere. We use a lot of pickled and oiled mild steel, and the oil gets all over everything as well.
  15. Iamanamma

Corroded Chip

Nope, it's only compatible through OS 7.1, and was never made for any PPC. There is a NuBus Comm card inside the IIci/IIsi that connects to a motion board inside the console. We were told we couldn't update the Mac to a newer model due to the way the comm card and the motion board communicate to the servos on the machine. Strippit did make a model that was compatible with a Quadra 650, but that machine came with different servos, therefor a different communication card that wasn't compatible with the servos on our machines.