About mraroid

• Birthday 04/29/1950

Contact Methods

• Website URL
    https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Auricon_Sound/info

Profile Information

Salem Oregon, US, formally, Ibarra Ecuador
  • Interests
    Old Macs, motion picture film, vacuum tube radios, botany.

I am enjoying upgrading my Color Classic.

My likes: CRT as opposed to LCD or LED. Upgrades were I do not have to butcher the inside of my Color Classic case. Polite conversation. Freely sharing information

Dislikes: rude people.

Recent Profile Visitors

1002 profile views
  1. mraroid

is https://www.macintoshrepository.org/ down?

Thanks everyone. I do like the MacintoshGarden. macintoshrepository has been so hard to deal with, that I think I will just pass on trying to contact them. mraroid
  2. mraroid

Short when CRT board connected

The pins look bent. But they also look corroded to me. Mine are shinny metal looking. Some very fine sand paper will clean them up nicely... But it may be nothing. Others here would know better. mraroid
  3. mraroid

Color Classic not booting

Buy a mouse and keyboard from ebay? The Color Classic has a on/off switch in the back which I am sure you have found. After a mouse and keyboard are hooked up, and after making sure the on/off key is on, you press down on a key on the keyboard to boot the Color Classic. It is the key at the very top of the keyboard, to the right of the apple logo. I *think* I have the original keyboard for my CC, but perhaps other keyboards work, and the boot key on other keyboards may be located in different places. Between now and the time your keyboard and mouse arrive, I suggest this: Put the CC back together. Plug it into the power. Make sure the power switch is in the "ON" position in the rear of the computer, and then do not touch it until a keyboard and mouse arrive. Leave it in this condition for a week or more if you have to. Also, if you are powering it from a grounded electrical outlet, it is a good idea to plug in a surge protector between the electrical outlet and your CC. Surge protectors are rated in "joules". The higher the joules, the better the protection. This one on Amazon is rated for 4,156 joules: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HPX46U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 If you go to your local big box stores to buy a surge protector, you will find that they are rated for maybe 200 joules, or maybe you might find a high priced one ($79.95) rated at 900 joules. Belkin is a name brand product. The price is right. Do you have a battery in your board? It is not a old battery that is corroded, right? If you can, take a volt/ohm meter and measure the battery. It it is not slightly over the voltage listed on the battery, go on line and buy a new one so it can arrive soon. Keep us updated. mraroid
  4. mraroid

New Internal HDD in Color Classic

Look at the photo techknight posted. Look at the top of the drive to the right. You will see a small black dot among some pins. This dot is a shorting block. You need to use a pair of needle nose pliers to do this the easy way, but you can use your fingers. You need to remove the short block (the black thing) from where it is now, to a different spot among the available pins. What you are doing is telling the drive it is the master drive, and no drives are in the chain after it. (or what ever your config calls for). Others here can tell you where to move that small black shorting block. All it is a bit of plastic with two holes in it so you can slip it across two pins. Inside the black bit of plastic is a small copper wire. When you slip it on between two pins it shorts them together, and this tells the drive what it's function is. mraroid
  5. mraroid

Classic II Rev. 2 Schematics

Would this help? I will try to post a pdf. mraroid Macintosh_Classic_II_Schematic_(bomarc).pdf
  6. mraroid

is https://www.macintoshrepository.org/ down?

OK. Thanks. I guess I will have to cross them of my list unless I can contact them somehow. Appreciate the feedback. mraroid
  7. Hi... Almost a week ago, I tried to go to Macintosh respiratory. But I forgot my password. I asked for a password reset and was sent email, a code and a link. When I tried the link, nothing happened. I tried several times, and then tried the main web site again. I got either a time out message, or a refused message. I moved from a Mac, to a Windows box, and to linux. Same thing. So I drove to a WiFi hot spot in my town and tried it. Same thing. I am not sure if the site is down, or they have blacklisted me by mistake somehow. Can anyone get in? If so, can someone post a help email address for them? I would like to contact them to fix any issues. It has been about a year or two since I went to this site. I usually only hang out here. Thanks mraroid
  8. Thanks for the help. I did do a google search and found a few sites with serial numbers. None of them worked. I did a google search for "Hackers Helpers" but was unable to find that website. Could it be that the serial number is glued to a name? For example, if I had a good serial number, would I need the same name that the software was registered under for it to work? I sent the ebay seller a very polite email. I told him of my issue and asked if he had installed it in the past, or installed it and then un installed it, and a few other questions. But the seller has yet to reply. It is not like I sent him email saying I was going to leave him bad feedback or anything. I was very polite. I may email him again. Thanks for the many tips. mraroid
  9. Hi.. I have a Mystic Color Classic. I am running 8.1 I bought the original disk and paperwork for Adobe Photoshop 3.0 from ebay. Included was the serial number. I use Photoshop and I actually use my Mystic for work I do at home. I have bought and used many different versions of Photoshop in the past, and Photoshop is what I want to run on my Mystic. The install went perfect. I came to a screen that wanted me to enter in all my data (serial #, name, address, etc). I entered all of it. I am hooked up to the internet. I hit the enter key, and Photoshop said my serial number was invalid. I re checked everything, and everything looked good. I do have a letter or a number in the serial number that is either the letter "L" or the number "1". I thought I had them mixed up. I switched, but that did not help. After the failed install, Photoshop said I would have two weeks to register, then the Mystic re booted to 8.1. I launched Photoshop, but again, it wanted my serial number and name. Again, I received the same error message that the serial number was incorrect. After that I went to Macintosh Garden and search for Photoshop 3.0. Many years ago, people would sometimes list a serial number that would work for some software. But no serial number was to be found. I looked on line for an Adobe phone number to call, but they only have email support for software this old. And to tell you the truth, I do not think they would help me. I am not trying to cheat anyone. I am not trying to scam anyone. I paid good money for the original disk and paperwork. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance, mraroid
  10. mraroid

Color Classic won't boot with FPU installed

Hi... I thought cheesestraws's idea was a good one. That would for sure prove the trouble in our out of your motherboard. Send him all three. I never did try to run my CC with out an FPU. Well, I did when it was all original, but I quickly added the max amount of RAM and a FPU. It seemed faster to me, but it could have been my imagination. We are dealing with very, very old and very very slow technology. So anything to help speed it up is a good idea IMHO. I read here that fake china FPUs were being sold on ebay and to watch out. I bought what seemed to be a pull and an original FPU. I dropped it in and it worked. I have not looked back. I would not give up on getting one installed. Others here may know what software would take advantage of it. I suspect spreadsheets, maybe Microsoft Word, maybe photos?? I just do not know. But I would deffentally install one. The price is right. mraroid
  11. mraroid

Short when CRT board connected

I wish I could help, but this is out of my league. But I do appreciate the very good detailed photo, plus the additional information on the photo. If everyone were this good at explaining issues they are having, plus provide good photos as you have, troubleshooting will go much faster. I am sure someone can come up with something. I look forward to learning more about this problem. mraroid
  12. Hello just.in.time... Thank you for the good feedback. I am sure it is heresy to say this here, but my first computer was a IBM PC XT that i bought in 1984 or 1985. I learned DOS on that computer. Now I find that I am very rusty when I shell to DOS in Windows 10. So maybe not a early version of windows, but maybe I can get a early version of DOS to run on my Mystic? I will keep your email and look for the versions you suggest. I appreciate the help! mraroid
  13. OK. That is a good tip. Thank you. I down load software where I can find it. But I am not put off by buying software on places like ebay for example. More then 1/2 the time the seller gives little to no information on what the software will run under other than an Apple computer. If I pester them, and they still have a box, I can sometimes get them to post a photo of the box showing what OS and processor the software can support. Despite my best efforts, I often buy software that will not run. Disks or a CD will come with a manual and the manual will give more detail as to which OS and processor it needs. And then I find out I need a newer machine. Some older software that I see available for download for free, will not run with out a serial number. So for software like that, I try to buy a package on ebay with a box, manual and serial number. I am thinking about software like adobe products, Microsoft Office, etc. I will try looking for PPC/68K in the future. I think that will be quite helpful. I think with my full 68040, over 128 MBs of memory, and my flash drive for a hard drive will be helpful in running software maybe a bit faster then it once ran under 8.1. So I am not worried about software running slow. I know it will be very slow. My Mac was made in 1993 and I am not sure when the LC 575 was made. But my Mystic is faster then a SCSI hard drive, and has more memory to work with then older software was probably designed to work under. I will never know until i try. Thanks again for the good tip. mraroid
  14. mraroid

Color Classic VGA Mod. the CORRECT way

Hello ttb... I also use the https://powercc.org I think it is one of the best sites for original Color Classics, or mods. I did the 640 X 480 mod the old time way and used option one on the above web site. That was maybe three or four years ago. I use my CC about two or three times a week, for maybe between one and two hours each time. I have only had one problem develop. About 6 months ago I found two shadows on my screen. Apparently, the built in degassing coil on the Sony CRT was not working. So I bought am external degassing coil and it fixed the problem ASAP. This issue did not appear until almost three years after I did the mod. So I believe the mod had nothing to do with it. Having said that, I think Techknight's solution is the best. But my issue is that Techknight's solution applied to only one version of the board, and Apple had made several versions of the board. The two boards I had where not the same one that Techknight used. So rather then screw it up, I went old school. So far, so good. mraroid
  15. Hi folks... I have a Color Classic Mystic. I have a SCSI2CF for a hard drive, 132MB MBs of RAM, a full 68940 in a LC 575, the 640 X 480 mod, and Internet access. I can boot to 7.6.1 or 8.1. Here is my issue.... I keep looking on ebay and other places for the latest versions of popular software that I can install under 8.1. But even if the seller posts a photo of the box, I can't tell if it will run, or if it will run, can I install a newer version? About the only software that I can find reliable data for, are which are the latest versions of Netscape and IE I can run. But other than that, it is a crap shoot. Has anyone made a list of what common software will run under which processor and which classic OS? Maybe someone made a list for the 68030 processors? Or maybe for my Mystic with a full 68040? Maybe someone has built a website where we can go to find out this information? I buy software on ebay and many times it will not run in my Color Classic. I tried a few games and some make it and some do not. Can anyone give me an idea of which are the most current versions of the software below, that will run under 8.1 in 640 X 480, on my 68040 processor? Maybe we can find someone who has an older Mac software support web page and start to build some lists to post for everyone? For example, what is the most current version of the software below that will run under 8.1 & a 68040 in a Mystic? Adobe Photoshop Adobe Acrobat Adobe Pagemaker Adobe Illustrator Microsoft Office Can I install Windows 95? Norton Tools Claris Works iMovie (from 1999 version 1 v1.0.1) Stuffit Expander Micromat Tech Tools Word Perfect Any help, or pointers to web sites appreciated. Thank you mraroid