Contact Methods

• Website URL
    http://256.makerslocal.org

Profile Information

Recent Profile Visitors

525 profile views
  1. avadondragon

USB PC Card drivers

Could anyone with a working USB PC card tell me what combination of extensions you have installed? I had it (sort of) working on my old OS 9.2.2 install. With the old install I could see my USB sticks but the system constantly said there was something wrong with the drive over and over. The same drive and PC card worked just fine under OS X 10.4. With a fresh install of OS 9.2.2 the PC Card shows up as USB but it doesn't light up (no power) or read a USB stick.
  2. avadondragon

3D Printed Floppy Gears from Shapeways

WOW! For $8 I might as well go ahead and preemptively replace all of mine. Should lubricate all the drives while I'm at it too.
  3. avadondragon

SE Revival

For system 7.1.1 the partition size limit is 2GB. Disk size can go much higher if you partition the drive into multiple 2GB partitions
  4. avadondragon

MAC SE/30 with orange colored CRT

Interesting to know! I've had what I think is 9" green CRT laying around that I wanted to try out on a MAC but I was scared it wouldn't be compatible.
  5. It took me forever to track down what was going on and I still don't understand why it is happening but... I am using one of those super cheap mSATA to IDE adapters and I had a hell of a time getting OS X to install on the new SSD. It runs SOOO slow. Install took about 8 hours and it took so long to boot I thought it wasn't going to. Under OS 9 it seems to have no problem. I ran some benchmarks under SO 9 and the SSD was wicked fast. There is some sort of bizarre interaction going on between the SSD and the CDROM drive under OS X though. With my old HDD OS X works fine with the CDROM drive installed. I pull the CDROM leaving my SSD installed and OS X works fine too. Just thought I would share my experience in case anyone else runs into this weird problem. Any ideas what could cause this behavior??
  6. avadondragon

Radius.sea.hqx - the Holy Grail of drivers . . .

Was that RadiusWare2.0 image the installer version from the Mac Driver Museum? I found my diskcopy image and it is definitely the one from the original archive. Also I went looking and I have a 486 motherboard so that PROM burner could possibly come back to life. Just need a copy of the Radius Accelerator Mac SE v2.1 ROM.
  7. avadondragon

On a related note I don't have the sys7 updated ROMs on my board and it makes it a bit flakey.... If only I had a motherboard with ISA slots so I could use my PROM burner again!
  8. avadondragon

I... MIGHT have that. Not totally sure though. I definitely have a radius accelerator 16 in my SE and the driver disk for it in my archive. Unsure of the version.
  9. avadondragon

Potentially Unasked Networking Question

2.1 is actually an unofficial patch that is applied to 2.0.6 and is available here.
  10. avadondragon

Oh, I haven't used 2.0.6 in so long I forgot how weird it could be. But if 2.1 needs more RAM it certainly can't be very much it still has a tiny memory footprint. I use it on all of my compact Macs.
  11. avadondragon

Yep you can use ANY range. I have to change mine to the 10.x.x.x range to use my PowerBook170 on campus. Then switch back to 192.168.x.x for home.
  12. avadondragon

Warning PB180C Owners!!

I had this happen on a PB160 display too. Luckily I got to my 180c before too much cap goo damage could take place.
  13. avadondragon

System 7 not booting on SE/30

Nice job! I always enjoy seeing people's success with this stuff. Plus if you hang around long enough you get to see may of the things that could go wrong on your own hardware. Would have never guessed a system could boot sys6 but not sys7 because of a bad trace!
  14. avadondragon

180 (and other lcd, I gues) reassembly

I did this to a IBM PC Convertible that I was attempting a EL panel backlight mod on. In my case I ended up breaking a couple of the retention clips on the metal bracket. I keep thinking I will machine a new metal piece but have never gotten around to it. Probably never will sadly. I think I might have disturbed the alignment on one of the zebras too. Half of the screen is beautiful and perfect and everything I was hoping for when I started the project. The other half looks like garbage.
  15. avadondragon

Mac SE FDHD ROM / SWIM PROM clones?

You seem to have a very good grasp of the situation now. The ROMs are easy enough to copy (you could probably even find an FDHD ROM dump onine) if you can get another SMIW from somewhere and Sony floppy drive then you'll have yourself an upgraded SE FDHD. I did exactly this on my own SE.