wanderingjew

• Content Count

• Last visited

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

1. If you want to get a look at the inside layers of a PCB, you *can* use a small CNC mill with a small step size. This is probably the best example of that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV4LJX1HdPk However, there's a significant drawback going the CNC route if you don't have it perfectly flat. Half of the board will have the traces you're interested in, while the other half will cut too deep or too shallow. There's a lot of fixturing needed for this project. I have heard of people going to a machine shop and using a surface grinder which would be a very good option if you could bond the PCB to a flat piece of steel (for the magnetic clamping). Alternatively, you could also find a machine shop with a _huge_ lapping machine. That would give you the ability to cut perfectly perpendicular through the plane of the PCB.
  2. wanderingjew

BGE's take on the Quadra 900/950 ATX PSU Mod

Right, so awesome project, and I have two Q950s that will eventually need a power supply. I don't really need one of these now, but I really have to say you should put this up on GitHub, with the KiCAD file, Gerbers, all the BOM, and maybe a few pictures and assembly instructions. Also link to the GitHub project in this thread. With that, anyone can make their own (and it would probably cost $70-80, if what I'm seeing is correct.) They'll also be able to make their own years from now. In fact, I don't even care if you put it up on GitHub, just put it somewhere where people can find the KiCad, gerbers, BOM, and assembly instructions ten years from now. Just put it up somewhere.
  3. wanderingjew

WYSE term. emulation?

Does any newton program have this? I'd really like to term into my work server, but the guys in the upper echelon many years ago decided to use the WYSE standard for terminal. I don't know why.
  4. wanderingjew

Help getting Toast to burn

Really helps if you RTFM, Needed Thread manager and Drag & Drop support... did a fresh install of 7.6.1, got an update of Toast off of the Pirate Bay, and now I'm burning. Huzzah!
  5. I've got toast 4, and a supported drive, but whenever I press 'write disk' the error message comes up - please insert a recordable CD. I just bought a new pack of CD-Rs, I'm wondering if the media isn't supported? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  6. I made a few videos of me and my quadra 950, with protools and such, Just to give everyone else a feeling of how great they are. Here are the videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i1ZXlxlbpQ and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ra_2peEaHY enjoy!
  7. wanderingjew

Q950 Shutdown problems

Yep, as I have guessed, the problem only arises when my Avid disk connected to my SCSI accelerator card is turned on. I have no idea what is going on here.
  8. wanderingjew

Q950 Shutdown problems

Disregard the previous post. I think it has somehting to do with my Digidesign SCSI accelerator card. For now, I think I can live with the problem, but I'll look into it further. Any ideas>?
  9. wanderingjew

Q950 Shutdown problems

Well, I think I found a solution; rebuild the desktop file. I'll post again if this isn't the case, but for now let's just call this the 'fix' for this problem.
  10. wanderingjew

Q950 Shutdown problems

Using my Q950 for some little audio work with 2 digidesign 442s. It's great. Wish I had a nuverb card, though Anyway, when I click shutdown from the special menu, nothing happens. at all. I'm thinking this is one of those deals where I've never had a computer with a friggin key! That's sooo cool!. Does it need to be in the off state to turn off? IDK.
  11. Let drop. Did a fresh install of 7.6.1, moved the Control panel over to the old system folder, and erased the new one.
  12. wanderingjew

MAJOR RESCUE MISSION

Pics of the PS/1? That was my first compy.... back in '91. damn, Prodigy was the shit....
  13. I'm SOOOOOOOOOO close to having my protools rig up 100%.... Not only that, but I don't feel like going through an install process. Trust me, this is the easiest way. benchoff@gmail.com
  14. wanderingjew

I ditch my Q700 for a 950, and suddendly...

I have no idea. There was just this ebay auction for 2 442s and the cards, all the software, etc... all for $50. so I bought it. No other bids on that, either.
  15. Q700s are the toast of the town. How do you like that? I didn't ditch my 700, I just cannibalized the 230M hard drive from it, and am going to replace it with the 230M drive from the 950, copy everything over and have a running spare of my studio computer. Here's what I've got. Q950 with 100M ram (probably going to bump that up), 230M system drive and a 40-something-gig (Avid!) external drive. 2 digidesign 442s for 8 tracks for recording simultaneous CD-quality audio. Woot. Also a SCSI accelerator. Also have Myst. And Warcraft. Gonna put my houdini card in this thing, already have an image with windows 95 on it, so that's good.