fookenshite

Profile Information

• Interests
    Macs, Japanese cars, disco

Profile Fields

• OCCUPATION
    Network infrastructure technician

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

1. That's really unfortunate. Could one of the vias have caused it, or maybe one of the larger lugs at the rear of the board? Maybe if you have a sensitive tone generator and pickup you could potentially trace out the current flow to try to find where it connects or at least narrow your search a bit.
  2. Franklinstein

Apple "mistake? video 512 x 342 vs. 512 x 384

You're probably correct there though I'm not sure if the screen redraws involved a CPU interrupt or were simply executed during natural processor wait states/in between clocks. But there were tons of compromises back in the early days for stuff like that, such as the IBM PC's use of the 4.77MHz processor clock to allow it to interface to cheap and pre-existing NTSC TV circuits. Same with Macs using 15.67MHz CPUs instead of a round 16MHz: it was done to match the dot clock of later displays and simplify the circuits required. Lots of weird choices go into saving a buck or ten. As for why they kept it for so long? Mostly because they were cheap (the SE/30 really should have had a grayscale screen) but also compatibility: the Plus logic board was an optional upgrade to the 512 and original Mac, and the SE/30 board was available as an upgrade to the SE. so they had to remain completely hardware compatible (except for the exchange of the rear bucket), and some really old programs do not play nice if they're not run at 512x342@1bpp. Same reason the PB 5x0 series had an option for running their displays at 640x400 instead of their full 640x480: compatibility with older PB-specific software (though I couldn't tell you what software required this).
  3. I'm pretty sure the bulk of it is being able to cope with either 40 or 50MHz buses without hassle (Sonnet makes a big deal about their 'no switches, etc' motto) and possibly only certain speed ratings or model revisions could auto-detect and switch between 40 or 50MHz, hence the restrictions. Sonnet's Fortissimo trickery would be required if you wanted to try to run an x400 model at 500MHz (the PPC 750 will not clock over 10x bus speed, so you'd have to fake it using Fortissimo if you wanted 500MHz on a 40MHz bus). The L2 cache slot form factor may have been too small to work Fortissimo into though, hence the inability to use the fastest card in 40MHz machines.
  4. Franklinstein

内芝製作所 BookcaSE

You and probably everyone else. This thing is kind of neat but no way is it $2400 neat. You can get a useful computer for that price and not be stuck with the horror that was the 5300. Maybe you can carve out the display area to fit the 3400's 12" screen and logic board in there instead? But then you'd basically just have an overpriced TAM; for that price you can get a nice boxed TAM with money to spare for a fast G3 upgrade and an SSD. Anyway this thing looks like something that could be done with a good 3D printer. I'm sure if he runs out of projects @maceffects could make an updated and readily-available copy of this (or a couple options to include housing the 1400) for 10~20% of the price. But then I'm sure the community would prefer he (or anyone else up to the challenge) put his efforts into building proper replacement PB plastics instead, should that be something that's in the pipeline. I know which one I'd rather have (definitely the PB plastics). The 5300 doesn't provide for internal amplification for two speakers. You'd have to install a custom amp and plug it into the sound out port on the logic board, or instead run two speakers from the combined internal audio. Either way it's more effort and more money for an already overpriced product. Better to just use external speakers.
  5. Franklinstein

Color Classic won't boot with FPU installed

Even the one that does has focus looks a bit blurred. I'd suspect these were reprints. I wonder if someone could devise a sort of quick and dirty test for counterfeit '882s? Such as multimeter on pins 2 and 23 reads 2.8 ohms or something for an authentic chip. I'm not really an expert on these chips nor do I have enough stock to test something like that. I bought a set of 20 FPUs off eBay a while back but they're later Freescale-branded chips and they're 40MHz-rated (bought as a lot so they could go in any Mac or accelerator from 16 to 40MHz). I have yet to try to see if they work so I'm hoping they do; otherwise I have 20 plastic squares that have no real value. I did hear once of someone who used to work at a recycling center and used a whole bunch of old x86 chips as tiles in a bathroom. Maybe they'd have use as an art project.
  6. Franklinstein

Outbound Laptop documentation?

Right, that makes sense. The hard drives internal to the Laptop are on a relatively standard ATA interface so we could probably figure something out to get you a Flash-based solution in there, or rig up a period-correct 2.5" hard drive to go in there if you prefer the actual whirrs and clicks. I don't know if the original PrarieTek HD in mine even works anymore so I may have to explore this option in the future. Do you not have a Mac ROM SIMM for yours? Or do you mean loading the machine with the Outbound supplementary ROMs from diskette? Do you have the external floppy drive? I'm curious if that uses the same Citizen mechanism. I hope not.
  7. Franklinstein

Faulty Comm Slot II Ethernet Card in a TAM?

Most CS II cards are 10-base, including all of the Apple-branded ones. Some were twisted-pair, some used AAUI. You could supposedly find faster ones (from Farallon I believe) but they're uncommon. Anyway they work with the Ethernet CS II extension. Ethernet was still a little finicky back in the mid-90s so auto-negotiate may not play nice, especially on modern networking equipment, which is one reason older network devices had switches to manually configure ports.
  8. Franklinstein

6100 display issues

Truth. Basically any '040 or later hard-power Mac needs a PRAM battery or it won't boot properly, at least not without a quick ON-OFF-ON jump-start. This is because the CUDA needs to be running to properly boot the machine, and without either a PRAM battery or trickle power, it can't be. The jump-start gives the CUDA enough juice to allow it to start operating so that on the next power cycle it can do its job. Also, try to avoid installing the PRAM battery incorrectly. The CUDA is a CMOS chip and they do not take kindly to being reverse-biased.
  9. I once bought an 8100 board and its heatsink compound (the dry yellowish mess we all know and love) was misapplied from the factory: only half of the die had compound on it, the rest splattered uselessly over the top of the package. I'm not sure how the thing continued to operate but since it was received as parts it may not have. These chips (and some IBM-produced 603 and 604 QFPs) are very pretty but they're very fragile: they use a flip-chip technique to attach the die to a ceramic substrate after which the top is filled in with epoxy (normally blue but yellow was sometimes seen on early examples). Sometimes the old thermal paste will discolor the epoxy and overly aggressive cleaning and/or harsh chemical cleaners will eat away at the epoxy a bit. The pins are also basically glued in place on the edges of the package which makes these a little difficult to rework.
  10. Right. Sounds like you're probably on the right track. I don't have any other quick fix suggestions here. The G1 Power Macs were a little touchy sometimes and age hasn't done them any favors. Have you done anything with the power supply? The OE units are quality and pretty heavy-duty but even those could need new caps after nearly 30 years.
  11. The Daystar PowerPro cards are super expensive (I've only seen them over $1000). I wouldn't throw it out of someone gifted me one, but it's not worth buying when I could just get a 7100/80 (or something even faster) to run my PPC apps for way less. More like one of those gee-whiz nerd status symbols than anything, like the Radius Rocket or Micron XCeed Color. '040 PDS cache cards generally only function with an associated control panel so sometimes people may reinstall the OS without the drivers and never know it's there. Also they're sometimes not well-labeled if someone just finds one sitting in a pile. I'm not sure what the '040 socket caches require but I'd assume they also need a control panel of some sort. Again if someone pulls the hard drive or reinstalls the OS without drivers a layperson may never know if there's a cache card installed. Aside from the possibility of the overpriced Daystar card, none of the regular PPC Upgrade Cards will allow you to use the card's caches in '040 mode; it's one or the other with a custom ARM-based microcontroller on the PPC card managing the transition and the 601-to-'040 bus translation.
  12. Franklinstein

G4 Mac Mini replacement optical drive

Most slot-loading PATA optical drives will work since New World Macs generally don't care about Apple ROM'd drives like the old beige models did. I recommend only Matsushita/Panasonic or Pioneer though, maybe TEAC, Hitachi, or LG if you get one cheap enough. There are other brands but they're not as reliable and some may not cooperate with OpenFirmware so they may not boot.
  13. Franklinstein

Value of Umax PowerMac Clone

Also the Asian markets. Basically UMAX bought the chips for the Alchemy boards and put them on their own custom boards, complete with a Socket 5-based CPU carrier which was available up to 240MHz with varying L2 caches. Akia also had a copy of the Apus reconfigured slightly to run as a tiny tower instead of a desktop. I wouldn't say the Apus is worth more than $100 complete and working (they suffer from battery leakage and the hard drive caddy is a custom part, hard to find if it's missing) but the Akia MicroBook Power 603 would probably be worth more since it was only sold in Japan.
  14. Franklinstein

Power Macintosh 5400/120 - Yellow tint on CRT?

That 10-pin ribbon connector is for the TV tuner card. Don't worry about it. The 5xxx series had a series of recalls for video problems. Unfortunately I haven't found any TIL articles regarding exactly what each fix was for, let alone the procedures involved, so I can't help much (and I have several of these things that could probably use the repairs). The repaired machines have stickers on the back case depending on which repair was performed.
  15. Do you have a PDS card or the PDS terminator installed? Supposedly these things have problems if the slot is left open.