techstep

• Content Count

• Last visited

Recent Profile Visitors

160 profile views
  1. techstep

Mac SE Floppy Drive Compatibility

Here's a couple of pictures. I have the original box so that's why I believe it came that way from the factory. Never knew this was an option, any other dual floppy SE I've seen has been 800K. Anyhow, got around to swapping parts around today. Replaced the logic board, metal frame (old one was quite rusted from battery explosion), and power supply (also rusted). Happy to report the SE now boots up to the blinking question mark! The original logic board with the ROMs support 1.4mb floppy drives is badly damaged, but as you suggest I'll see if I can salvage the ROM chips and SWIM. the Rom HIGH chip has some corrosion and I know the person I bough the SE from tried to turn this on, so i hope they didn't get fried. Will clean off and swap in to see if they still work, sometime soon.
  2. Hi All, I recently purchased a Mac SE Dual Floppy model on eBay because the case was in very good condition. The seller said it didn't power on, but this was vague so i bought it anyway to see if I could figure out what might be wrong. Well, it suffered the all-too-common red battery explosion and the chassis and logic board have major damage. Onto the question: this particular SE is the first I've seen with Dual 1.4mb floppy drives and no hard drive. Even the box states they are apple Apple original drives, shipped from the factory. I have a spare SE logic board from a dual 800K floppy machine. Would this board work with 1.4mb floppy drives or is there an incompatibility with firmware? Mostly curious as i don't want to damage either the drives or the working logic board.
  3. techstep

G3 All In Ones x2

Wow, it's like someone dumped a whole vacuum bag of dust on that!
  4. techstep

Centris 650, mixed emotions

The hard drives are SCSI 3.5", 50 pin. If I recall someone did make an adapter for IDE drives, but it was pretty expensive. I think you'd be better off just picking up a used SCSI drive somewhere. The laser printer cable is likely just an 8 pin serial cable. It will resemble the keyboard cable end, but with 8 pins. Depending on what model the laserwriter is, it might also have a parallel port or AAUI network port.