• Last visited

1 Follower

About EvilCapitalist

Profile Information

Recent Profile Visitors

1120 profile views
  1. EvilCapitalist

Which printer should I get?

If it's consistently jamming and the paper isn't the reason (high humidity and paper is a bad mix) it might need a maintenance kit which would be some mix of pads, rollers, and sometimes the fuser assembly. Given that the JetDirect card isn't showing up / isn't detected and the duplexer isn't working right you're taking the smart approach by returning it.
  2. EvilCapitalist

Which printer should I get?

Gargantuan compared to current consumer models? Absolutely. Built like tanks. You won't see much of a difference when you compare like for like though, since at the time LaserWriters and LaserJets (except for the personal varieties) were geared mostly towards business and comparing them against current business lasers shows they weigh nearly the same. Took inordinate amounts of electricity? <Lumbergh> Oooh, yeaaah, ummmm, I'm gonna have to go ahead and sort of disagree with you there. </Lumbergh> Granted, these are published specs, and I don't own either so I can't plug them into a kill-a-watt and get live readings but the newer HP Color LaserJet Pro M479fdw actually takes 50 watts more electricity to print than the older Color LaserJet 4500 (550w vs 500w). It bests the older machine in standby and sleep (140w vs 20w and 2w vs 0.7w for the 4500/M479fdw respectively), but if you keep the printer turned off when not in use that doesn't matter. https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-color-laserjet-4500/ https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-color-laserjet-pro-mfp-m479fdw-multifunction-printer-color/ It's part of the reason that I haven't replaced my LaserJet 4050 yet. If I was saving a bunch of power that would ease the monetary pain of buying a new printer and new toner, since the other features (color and scanning) are niceties I don't need or are on parity with features I already have (auto duplexing, multiple trays, built-in networking).
  3. EvilCapitalist

Color Classic VRAM Sources?

I've had good luck with things from MemoryX in the past. Haven't bought any 256KB SIMMs from them, but I've had no problems with everything else I've bought there. Interestingly enough, it's cheaper if you buy it from them on eBay (second link). https://www.memoryx.com/apl256v.html https://www.ebay.com/itm/392375906895
  4. EvilCapitalist

iBook G3 not recognising IDE devices

Personally, I haven't experienced a dead IDE controller on an iBook but I have experienced torn/otherwise damaged cables. Assuming you're talking about the iceBook / dual USB iBook, that cable makes a bit of a journey to go between the optical drive, HD, and back to the motherboard. If the case has been opened and not put back together properly it's entirely possible the cable got nicked in reassembly.
  5. I've got 9.1 installed on mine presently, though I've tried most of the others at one point or another (7.6.1, 9.0, 9.2.2). I didn't notice that 9.2.2 was any faster, but I did note it seemed less stable with my USB/FW card than 9.1, which was a shame because even though it wasn't truly "Millions of Colors" being able to use the updated ATI drivers in 9.2.2 did make things slightly better looking and losing 640x480 as a resolution wasn't a big deal for me. Even before I switched out the 20GB IDE drive I had for a 64GB SSD I never felt like 9.1 was slow, even on the stock processor.
  6. EvilCapitalist

Trouble dealing with a local seller with a massive hoard

It's a very useful skill to be able to get folks to trust you sight unseen and something I can attest is not a skill enough folks possess, especially in my world. Any company that has a need for specialized FF&E knows that at some point they may have to deal with smaller/boutique type companies. It's understandable that the company you dealt with was cautious on a $16MM sole source contract. Unfortunately for both you and the seller, she's dead-set in her thinking and no amount of evidence you present to the contrary is going to change her mind. The times I've dealt with sellers like that in the past I just made my offer and left it at that. Some came back later on and asked if I was still interested, others alleged they had other buyers lined up who would pay many multiples more but then I continued to see what they were selling advertised for months/years to come.
  7. EvilCapitalist

That's been around for ages, and somehow people still think you can make money doing it. Just have a look at eBay: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=gold+recovery&_sacat=58058
  8. EvilCapitalist

Oh yes. Been there, done that: This guy was a government contractor in the late 80s/early 90s and had loads of vintage machines and accessories that sounds like they were stored for years until (I'm assuming) his wife got tired of them taking up space or they were downsizing to a smaller house. He originally posted everything for sale in 2015 and wanted waaaayy too much for it then, but when he got no takers he took it down and reposted everything in 2017 and wanted even more for it surprisingly enough. He even had a spreadsheet showing the value of everything based on, you guessed it, eBay, among other random sites. When it was posted in 2017 he got back in touch with me to ask if I was still interested and mentioned the price was higher based on the research he had done. I reiterated what my max was and he told me that someone else eventually bought everything (didn't tell me how much they paid) and that if I wanted anything I could get in touch with that person, which I never did. The original topic has attached what he posted in 2015 and attached here are things he sent to me specifically in both 2015 and 2017. I saved it because it was a real head-scratcher that anyone would think there were people out there who wanted to buy old generic laptop cases, loose software disks/CDs without original boxes/manuals, loose manuals, and loose cables that could still be bought new. He just couldn't get past that "this was worth X twenty years ago" and given the amount of space everything was going to take up I wasn't keen on offering any more than I did. I just looked up the information I was given back then and see it links out to an estate sales company in the Baltimore/Washington area so it may very well have hit eBay at that point and I just missed it. There wasn't anything exceptional in the list from what I saw, just run of the mill machines in varying states of repair. Mac Advertised & Whole Sale Values_ October 2015.pdf Mac Inventory Updated 18 June 2017.pdf
  9. Yep, only 128KB. v202.BIN
  10. Sure, I've got the old 2.02 ROM dumped to a .bin file. Where's a good place to upload it?
  11. Success. From this: To this: Woo
  12. I know for a fact that trying to run a Turbo '040 with ROM revision 2.x in a IIci will lead to nothing but crashes in 7.5.5; the second you try and open a menu the whole system goes down. That same Turbo '040 works fine in System 7.1. I've seen what I assume is a faster speed version still available for sale (assuming that the A-15FML part that seems to be stock means 15ms, and the A-12FML part you can still find means 12ms), and I've got some on the way to me now so if they work I'd be happy to burn you a 4.11 version.
  13. EvilCapitalist

G3 mix, should I proceed?

Riesling, Gew├╝rztraminer, a dessert wine, something else?
  14. EvilCapitalist

G3 mix, should I proceed?

I haven't seen any of the G3s/G4s have issues with caps. That doesn't mean that they won't down the road but I haven't had any problems with them yet. As far as value goes, none of those machines are really valuable/desirable. The folks who love Pismos say they are valuable, but they're still plentiful enough that you can usually find one in reasonable shape for under ~$100. The ones that go for more than that tend to be the ones in excellent shape loaded to the gills with upgrades. Beige G3s tend to get very little love, though they're quite capable machines. G3 iMacs are hit-or-miss. You can still get them dirt cheap in person but every once and again you'll see a nice one get sold on eBay for a lot more than you'd expect.
  15. EvilCapitalist

Possibly Awesome Haul Tomorrow

That floppy drive sure looks nice all cleaned up. Didn't know those were a sought-after item; I'm pretty sure I've got a box of at least 3 (4?) of them somewhere. That poor 6115CD though. Were these machines stored outside or in a dirt crawl space of some sort?