pinto_guy

• Content Count

• Last visited

Profile Information

Recent Profile Visitors

588 profile views
  1. pinto_guy

Walkmac

One of my friend in crime found this old Infoworld article. So it does appear that this model was destined to be commercialized.
  2. pinto_guy

Walkmac

Here is another system that I worked on in the last few days. It looks like perhaps a prototype to the commercial Walkmac. It is also based on a Plus, and features what looks like to same plasma display, although this screen is powered directly from the computing unit. It features similar removable FDD and HDD cartridges on the side. The HDD is a very compact Conner CP-340. They added an Adaptec adapter card for a reason that escapes me, since the 340 is supposed to have the SCSI interface. I could get everything going, except this modular HDD. The Adaptec card actually seems to draw a lot of power (chips get hot to the touch), and the system hangs upon booting from either the external HDD or the modular FDD when this Adaptec card is connected. For the fun of it, here is what it looked like coming out of a 30+ years storage in Chuck Colby's attic.
  3. pinto_guy

Walkmac

Sorry I put the wrong video link on my previous post, and I can't edit any longer. The right youtube video is here
  4. pinto_guy

Walkmac

Thanks macdoogie. Anything you can find on the "mystery signal" topic would be great. By the way, I am in the process of refurbishing 2 (perhaps 3) more Walkmacs of this type, that we will be putting up for sale. Not sure at what price and under what format (Private sales, eBay, CL... ?). If anyone in this forum is interested, please PM me. Also, in the collection of floppies, we found an HyperCard file promoting the Walkmac SE, successor to this Walkmac. We put a screen shot of navigating the demo in this youtube video. It's precious
  5. Thanks macdoogie. Yes, the orange plasma screen looks awesome. By the way, I am in the process of refurbishing 2 (perhaps 3) more Walkmacs of this type, that we will be putting up for sale. Not sure at what price and under what format (Private sales, eBay, CL... ?). If anyone in this forum is interested, please PM me. Also, in the collection of floppies, we found an HyperCard file promoting the Walkmac SE, successor to this Walkmac. We put a screen shot of navigating the demo in this youtube video. It's precious Edit: I realize that I posted in the wrong forum, so I reposted in the Conquest topic. Apologies
  6. pinto_guy

Disks Corrupted after SCSI Conflict

Update: I was able to salvage the 40MB drive, using Silverlining 5.6.1. When I chose the drive after it recognized it, I got an message saying the volume info was bad, and asking me to revert. The revert worked ! But I could not rescue the 1.7GB drive and I had to reinitialize. Fortunately, I had a backup
  7. So I had two perfectly good HDD's in two different external enclosures. One was big (1.7 GB), and the other one that I just revived from the "Sticky Actuator" syndrome, a 40MB Quantum Prodrive. I wanted to copy the content from the 40MB into the 1.7GB. So I daisy chained both of them to my SE, not realizing that they both had the same SCSI address. This usually leads to a system hanging at some point, which it did. After turning everything off, I changed the SCSI address of the 40MB and rebooted. Unfortunately, neither drives can now mount. The 40MB says "Uninitialized", and the 1.7GB strangely bears the name of the 40MB, seems to mount but then say "Disk is damaged, do you want to initialize?". So I'm afraid that I lost my data, but before I re-initialize, I thought I'd post here and ask if anyone has an idea on how to recover these partitions. Thanks
  8. pinto_guy

Walkmac

Yes, based on a Mac Plus LB. As for the business question, we're still trying to figure it out. The person who I acquired this from knew Chuck Colby, and says that he had a Joint Venture with Apple. Colby and Wozniak knew each other for sure, and I saw an email from Woz to Colby (before he passed away) acknowledging his contributions to the Hi Tech world. But it is my opinion that he did not have the rights, and the Walkmac was simply a perfectly legal Macintosh Conversion machine. See Wikipedia's article on this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_conversion
  9. If you're interested, I put a few more pictures of the machine, together with some comments, in this other thread:
  10. pinto_guy

Walkmac

Hi superjer2000. The void on the right side is for the detachable HDD and FDD units. On the photo, only the FDD is attached. Below are photos of the base unit, together with some descriptions I made. The electronics consists of a Mac Plus logic board at the bottom, and a Colby board that sits on top, connected to the LB through the molex J8 connector that usually connects to the AB of the Plus. 1) Colby Board (the Mac Plus LB is underneath) Looks like this board is mainly for power management. I am still trying to figure out where the battery was (internal, external - does anyone know ?). Colby's "secret sauce" was in converting the Apple video signal to one that's understood by the plasma screen, but it looks like this happens all in the plasma screen assembly itself. 2) Mac Plus LB Besides the typical connections from the Mac Plus to the outside, still available here (more below), we have a few items of importance. 1) Connections of the optional FDD and HDD to the LB is via ribbon cables (not shown here). The HDD connection to the SCSI chip is the most bizarre and unreliable one (not shown here) 2) Since the keyboard connector (phone jack) is in the front on a Mac Plus, Colby needed to have a connection made to the back, hence a pass-through connector to the Colby board 3) Same for the reset buttons that are now hidden. A small connector allows to connect the reset line to a small red reset button in the back 4) Finally, a red cable borrows a signal from the LB, and sends it to the "video out" connector. More on this in the next section 3) Mystery Signal Connector The red cable to the "Video out" connector attaches to Pin 2 of a "Hex Inverter" (MC74F04N) on the LB. No idea why. They built an elaborate green connection board that sits atop the silver "FOX" oscillator chip. A ground connection was also there on pin 7, but it's actually not used (connector was cut so to not include the ground). This signal is necessary, as the screen does not display without it (I tried). Does anyone know what signal is on pin 2 of this chip ? 3) Side View Here you see the Walkmac folded, with the plasma unit on top. Note that the plasma unit is powered on its own, separate from the computing unit. The bottom row of the computing unit has the usual Mac Plus connectors, and the 120V power input and switch (left). The top row has the keyboard jack, and multiple power input/outputs, and also two switches. I'm still trying to make sense of them. A small red "reset" button (extreme right) connects to the Mac Plus programmer switch.
  11. pinto_guy

Walkmac

It now works ! This could well be one of a very few operating Walkmacs on this planet.
  12. So it's now booting off the detachable FDD, or an external HDD. I had it booting from the detachable HDD for a while, but lost it. The connection to the SCSI chip of the LB appears to be quite temperamental. I also attach a high resolution photo of the screen. Based on some of the stuff read on-line, it looks like the screen is actually not an LCD as I had previously mentioned, but plasma !
  13. Fair enough ScutBoy, here it is . Now I need to figure out how to boot from the detachable floppy or HDD
  14. So I can now say that booting up the LB of the Mac Plus requires +12V. Turned out the 12V line from the PS was fried because of a short in the Colby circuit board. After I got the +12V back, I got the LB to boot up.
  15. pinto_guy

Walkmac

Yes olePigeon, it was on Craigslist. I'm making progress reviving it. I'll update soon.