• Content Count

• Last visited

1 Follower

Profile Information

Recent Profile Visitors

424 profile views
  1. nightingale

M0100 no up/down movement

When I opened up my mouse, I was surprised by the simplicity of it. The 1982 date would mean this mouse was used for the Apple II series. I assume the additional components on your model must be intended to improve the accuracy of the mouse. Every other mouse I've looked at the inside of has at least one chip, so presumably this was an improvement over the earlier design. It does appear that the IR diode remained the same in later models, so hopefully that means it will be easier to find a replacement. I picked up a new soldering iron this weekend, so I'll be attempting to deconstruct this thing this week, although it looks as though the component is clipped in somehow, so hopefully after the solder is removed it will be come apparent how to remove it.
  2. nightingale

Okay, I'm getting you now. I also talked to my brother-in-law who is an Engineer, and he helped me understand some of the principles at work here. When I put my meter on the resistor and the ground pin, my meter was completing the circuit, not the LED, which is why there was minimal current, and why I was getting the 5V reading. I get what you're saying about the LED opening the circuit. So I am quite confident now that the problem is with the LED. I will try just resoldering this one in case it's a bad connection, otherwise I'm off to go find some other mice to see if I can find a donor LED that is the same as this one... Hopefully Apple was using some standard parts in these mice that are common to other mice from that era. Thank you for all your guidance, @cheesestraws, it was very helpful. If nothing else, this has been a valuable learning experience. On a side note, since I had the mouse apart, I made my first attempt to retrobrite something. I used the oxiclean method that a few people have been experimenting with lately. I left it out in the sun for two days of about 30 degree Celsius (~86 F) weather. It came out a bit splotchy, but the extra white areas appear to be where the texture of the mouse is worn down from use, so the results may have been the same with any method. It's definitely still a bit yellow, so I may try it again with another method at some point, but I'm happy enough with it.
  3. nightingale

So I just gave everything a good cleaning with 99% IPA. What a difference, there was much more gunk on there than I realized. Much easier getting readings now. Double checked everything. Still getting 5V between CR2 and GND instead of the expected 1.2V. I don't believe anything is shorted anywhere. And I'm now about to butcher all the proper terminology here, but hopefully everyone can get my meaning... If I'm understanding you correctly, there may not be enough current flowing through the trace, which results in the voltage not dropping through the resistor. There is one trace that goes from the 5V pin to everything that needs power. In order, it's: 5V > R4 > R3 > R1 > R2 > U1 > U2 > U4 > U3 Then the resistors send power to the LEDs. I used my meter to measure current, but I'm not entirely sure I'm using it right. I checked across R1, R3, and R4 and got a reading of 1, and when I check across R2 (the problematic resistor) I get a reading of zero. I suspect I'm not using my meter correctly, but clearly there is something different about this resistor. R2 is the resistor that is problematic, and it is the last resistor in the chain from 5V. So could it be that the current is dropping along this trace, so it has enough current for the first three resistors to work properly, but then not enough for the fourth? The optical sensors are all after R2, and are working fine (left/right anyway), but maybe the drop in current is not an issue for these? Thank you for your patience as I try to figure this out!
  4. nightingale

Okay, so I think I'm making some progress. As I'm not an electrical whiz, I'm hoping someone can tell me if I seem to be on the right track. I powered on the Plus and checked some readings on the mouse. I'm getting 5V on the 5V pin. So far so good. The power for the LEDs go through 620 ohm resistors. Three of the four LEDs are reading approximately 1.2 volts, so the resistors seem to be doing their job. However CR2 ("UP") is getting 5V. So it is getting too much voltage. However, when I test the resistance on the four resistors, they all read 607 ohms, which is within the 5% tolerance of the resistor, so that means they should all be good, right? If the resistors are okay, then the only conclusion I can come to is that there is something connecting one of the 5V traces to the trace that goes from the resistor to CR2. Except they aren't even close to each other, and I don't see anything that would be connecting them. If the resistor is in fact good, can anyone explain why 5V is going in and 5V is coming out? If I can figure out the voltage, I guess the next question will be did the extra voltage fry the LED...
  5. nightingale

No, I don't...
  6. nightingale

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Mechanically, everything is working fine. I've hooked the cable back up to the board and booted the computer. I can move the wheel for left/right movement and it works, but when I move the wheel for up/down it still gives nothing. I tried looking through the phone camera to see if it could see the sensors lighting up, but it didn't work. I guess that narrows it down to the sensor(s) -- does anyone know if this was a common component in mice that might be widely available from any old donor mouse, or were they Apple specific? It's hard to tell from the photo below, but it looks like there is a little black clip holding it in place, in addition to being soldered to the board. It looks very difficult, though not impossible, to remove. I may attempt to use the multimeter while it's powered on, but like you said, it will take a very steady hand. Before I go to that extent, can anyone think of any common issues with the Plus that might be causing this?
  7. nightingale

So I recently acquired an Apple M0100 mouse to go with my recently acquired Macintosh Plus. I can move the mouse from left to right, and I can click, but I cannot move the mouse up or down. I disassembled the mouse and gave it a good cleaning. I also checked the continuity for all of the pins and verified that the cable is good. I also checked all of the traces, and they all seem to be good. The only thing I can think of is that the actual sensors that detect the movement for up/down may be bad? But is seems like quite a coincidence that both up and down would be bad... I don't see anything visibly wrong with them. I'm not entirely fluent in electronics, but the readings I am getting across the resistors and the sensors match what the working left/right ones are giving me. Does anyone see anything on the board that I'm missing? If the mouse is good, then the alternative is that there is something wrong with the computer. Unfortunately, I have neither a spare Plus nor a spare mouse. Any advice is much appreciated!
  8. Yup! That did it! Set the jumper to Master and OS 9 recognized it and initialized it as soon as I booted up.
  9. Okay I'll give that a try later today, I had them set on "Cable Select" so we'll see if setting them to Master does the trick. I have tested these in an external enclosure and I know the drives work.
  10. So the original IDE drive in my Power Mac 5400 is failing, and so I'm trying to replace it with a new, non-Apple, IDE hard drive. I've tried a Maxtor 20GB IDE drive and a Seagate 250GB IDE drive. When I boot from the Mac OS 9.1 install CD, Disk Setup will not recognize either drive. I've read that it may be because the Apple version of Drive Setup will only recognize Apple hard drives, so I've been trying to get a copy of FWB Hard Disk Toolkit working. So far I have not had luck getting a bootable CD of it to work. But a lot of the information about this utility talks about SCSI drives, so I'm wondering if it even is the right tool to fix my IDE drive problem? Do IDE drives even need the apple driver like SCSI drives did? Rather than a software issue, could it be a jumper issue on the drive? Or something else I'm not thinking of? I have read that this machine may not be able recognize larger drives, which is why I'm focusing on the 20 gb drive right now. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
  11. nightingale

Fowarding internet to Se/30 Asante?

Also, if I remember correctly, when entering the DNS server, in addition to entering the ip address, you have to enter "." under domain name or you will get an error.
  12. nightingale

Killed SE/30 video

Damn it! I just realized my kid was playing with the brightness knob before I turned it back on. So the good news is I have a perfectly working se/30 with upgraded RAM. The bad news is that I'm the knob in this situation.
  13. nightingale

Killed SE/30 video

So I just took apart my SE/30 to upgrade the RAM, and upon reassembly of the machine, I have no video! The machine boots up normally, and I can even connect to it trough AppleShare from another machine. The CRT is not even getting power. I opened it up again, and all of the connections seem to be tight, but I'm a bit uncomfortable getting too close to the CRT. I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of what I should be checking. It was working perfectly before this! Hope someone can help!
  14. nightingale

Nightingale's finds

Yeah, when I was making my list of macs I wanted to acquire, I flip-flopped back and forth between the 575 and the 580... but since this one fell into my lap... 580 it is! I bid on a PDS ethernet card, partially because the same seller had a teardrop mouse and 5 phonenet adapters that I wanted... so good opportunity to save on shipping. Is there a performance difference between using a PDS ethernet card or a comm slot ethernet card? Does using a PDS card cripple performance, like it did in earlier LCs?
  15. nightingale

Nightingale's finds

I'm in Dartmouth. Dang! I just bid on a card yesterday. Oh well, if I don't win the auction I'll track you down!