John_A

• Content Count

• Last visited

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

1. John_A

Pismo Firewire and miniDV transfer

Update 2: So, I tried today to compare some older videos, compressed with h.264 and recompressing the original files with h.265 and push the bitstream to really low levels. Honestly, I cant se much of a difference at 720x576 comparing the results. Original file: DV video 28895Kbit/s total size: 3.14 GB h.264 compression 1864Kbit/s total size: 217Mb h.265 compression 485Kbit/s total size: 69Mb The purist would of course be in horror seeing the bitrates. But now its actually an option to put the whole thing in the cloud, sharing it with family since its mostly family related stuff anyway.
  2. John_A

An update: It works! Actually better than I thought it would. The major issue is of course getting the files off the PB, i only have a USB HDD and copying large files are extremely slow. So, I went down to our storage and dug through the piles of electronics, found a HP nx9240 17" with a FW input, totally forgot I even had that laptop Win 7 and a C2D 2.23 with USB 2.0 is a "bit" quicker.. I have 15 tapes to capture.. A note on the newer codecs.. I tried the newest HEVC H.265 codec (wich BTW is not included in win10, I had to purchase it). It was too heavy of an workload for the HP laptop, I had to copy the files to the most powerful computer I have, a AMD Ryzen 7 laptop. The H.265 codec does an amazing job though, a full tape went from 13 Gb to 1 Gb with preserved quality.. But oh boy, the cooling fans went up to "hurricane mode" on the AMD.. Amazing technology though, 12x compression. I wonder what kind of hardware you need for 4k H.265 editing or higher..
  3. John_A

Yes, at the time it was a luxury to connect your camcorder to a computer.. What make me hesitate is the hard disk requirement.. At a closer investigation 13gb / hour is needed. Thats 200Mb / minute. So, compression is a must, but thats not a viable option on an old G3, although it would be interesting to see how many hours/days that would take or if its burning through my desk due to heat.. Copying 13gb over usb 1.1 is not exactly tempting either. You can of course do it chunks, since the tapes consists of many different video recordings from different occasions. A task for a grey and gloomy sunday.
  4. John_A

Yes, you are correct. I thought at a quick glance that DVC was a compression method of DV, but DVC is as you pointed out, a slightly improved format with a wider track pitch when recorded on tape. It's quite a technological djungle actually, I found at least 5 different variations on the DVC format itself all remains from the time when the Japanese corp giants competed.. DV seem to use the Discrete Cosine Transform compression method, as JPEGs, Mp3s etc.
  5. John_A

I guess I need to get the cables and try then. According to the dv-specs it's 720x576 at 24fps (PAL). 25Mbit/s with the dvc compression, plus the audio. As I recall, the PB Lombard had a mpeg-2 card besides the graphics card to decode the dvd stream, while the Pismo has that function built in into the GPU. Found a image that seems to confirm it's also accelerates dv-capture, so you are right about that it probably will work..
  6. I got my hands on a Sony miniDV tape viewer/tranfer station recently with a FW output. I guess the PB Pism FireWire implementation is one of the earlier ones. It seems FW400 came in different flavours with transfer speeds ranging from 98 to 393 Mbit/s. The main bottleneck is probably the HDD. I have a SSD sata gen.2 that might be a suitable canidate for a replacement with an adapter. But what about the cpu? G3 400MHz is too slow I suspect. Has anyone here tried it? Is it even possible? Edit: BTW, is there a suitable capture software for MacOS Classic that accept FW as the input stream source?
  7. Would be fun to raise a ticket at Apples support site and report this as a software bug Interesting to see if there is anyone left with a sense of humour at Apple or if all those guys are retired by now.. Anyway, keep reporting! It's a very interesting and fun read
  8. As an upcoming project I have been planning for an updated, 3d printed version of the Appledesign Powered speakers 2. I have the enclosure specs, but it would be nice with a pdf with the drawings and measurements, if there ever was such a thing. Can only find the pdf for the taller, first version?
  9. Don't know if you have this technical note. https://www.fenestrated.net/mirrors/Apple Technotes (As of 2002)/os/os_06.html
  10. Well, I would probably dig through the Apple Developer magazines from that time. You might find something in there. https://vintageapple.org/develop/
  11. Out of curiosity: What kind of values does the control strip module return? Are they of the same type, within a certain range but random, or is it just a complete mess? The only other control strip module that uses a slider is probably the volume control? I wonder if there are any source code or examples available on this topic on some of the Apple programming CDs from the early 90s?
  12. John_A

What kind of mouse is this?

Aha, now I see it. It's the fingertip version. 1990? System 6? Up to 4 monitors? Was that even possible back then?
  13. John_A

Found an image of the back of the box. Doesn't seem to be a mouse, more like an early, minituarized touch pad. Up to 4000x4000dpi? :-o
  14. John_A

What is it? Has anyone tried it?
  15. So, I need some kind of mini-din serial to USB cable/adapter. I've seen something similar used for plc programming, but I suspect that the pinout might be different. Did Apple ever made such an adapter or were there only 3rd party ones? Edit: Hmm. When I think about it, does the Stylewriter driver even allow printing over usb?