This and more... ;)

Recent Profile Visitors

988 profile views
  1. james_w

Dynamac Smokin!

Nice!
  2. james_w

PowerBook Duo 250 death chimes

It's not got a main battery nor a back up (PRAM) battery installed. I'll give the PSU a test this evening
  3. Hi all. I recently acquired a PB Duo 250. It had to sit in a drawer for a few months before I could get to it, partly because all my PSUs for Duos are in storage. I now have a working PSU but on boot all I get are death chimes. Apple service manual says this is a memory issue... and to replace the logic board. Obviously I would prefer to rescue this board rather than do that. It also has no video showing on the display. I replaced all the electrolytic caps and gave the board's top and bottom a general clean with IPA but still the same issue. I've also tried booting with and without an add-on memory board. Any ideas? Should I deep clean the board? Should I replace caps in the screen? Could it be an old PSU causing the issue by not supplying the right voltage/current? (I can test this easily) Any ICs or other components I should be checking?
  4. james_w

Dynamac Smokin!

BTW - any Dynamac users that don't already know this. There's an extension to make your Dynamac use the full screen resolution of 640 x 480, otherwise it defaults to 512 x 342
  5. james_w

Dynamac Smokin!

I think they may have been a gas plasma display, but all the Dynamacs I've seen, including my own have an electroluminescent screen. I think it's also why the model number has an "EL" in it.
  6. james_w

Fitting a SCSI2SD in a 68k Mac

Yes, I've only ever managed to successfully format a SCSI2SD with Lido. Not sure how other people have managed to use other software such as the patched HD SC Setup. I've tried using it multiple times and it's never fully worked. Enjoy your new faster Mac!
  7. james_w

2x BeBoxes!

Agreed, I'm one of them
  8. james_w

Turbo040

9. Woo! Glad you found the time to document it and get it out publicly! Reminds me that I have a PCB that needs populating sitting in a drawer here...
  10. james_w

SE/30 PDS Adapter Epic Blunder

@Bolle incredible work - again! And brilliant that you fixed @JDW's card too. James you must be very pleased! I'm not sure there's much hope for my card... but I've not had the bravery to test it again recently. I assume it is dead. To cheer myself up I am recapping a very very dirty SE/30 logicboard today, hoping to bring it back to life with a good clean.
  11. Oh nice! My first job after leaving secondary school was working pre-press. But it was at a big book publisher. This was 2000, so we had G4 towers by then (IIRC). I find the Radius 24 card naming scheme quite confusing, but always have my eyes out for a 24X or similar... one day!
  12. Not of help to you... but I saw another of your other posts about the 24X. Can you tell me why you favour it so much? I saw one for sale recently - should I own one too?!
  13. james_w

2x BeBoxes!

It was my impression that they never got Be OS working on G3, but I could be wrong! I have it on a Umax 604e-based clone too (a Super Pulsar)
  14. james_w

2x BeBoxes!

Yeah, not sure. I hear there's a hack to use them as VU metres for the sound output... but I've not found it yet
  15. james_w

2x BeBoxes!

The blinkenlights work... see video here: ) :