ArmorAlley

• Content Count

• Last visited

About ArmorAlley

Profile Information

• Interests
    At the moment, collecting old Mac software, taking apart my Macs, putting them together again and trying to run them at their optimum configuration.
    As well as that, playing Armor Alley, Civ I, Marathon and Deus Ex.

Recent Profile Visitors

1926 profile views
  1. ArmorAlley

Any interest in 16MB Mac IIFX memory modules?

On the one hand, these are almost certainly an investment. A IIfx with 128MB will command a much higher price than one with merely 32MB, and surely the price-difference will be greater than the $240 required for the new RAM. Sets of 4 are a good idea. 64MB RAM in a IIfx is almost obscene, but the extra 48MB will make a useful RAM disk. It also allows more apps to run on Mac OS 8.1. I do want to buy some though.
  2. ArmorAlley

B&W upgrade 1Ghz G4?

Especially when it is often cheaper to buy a Quicksilver for less than that of the Sonnet Encore 1Ghz. I have had a Sonnet Encore 1Ghz in my B&W G4 and it was nice and fast, until I broke (and then lost) the special ATX cable. I played Deus Ex on it. What annoyed me most about it is the reboot that is required. Boot time is much longer. It also cut out on me every now and then but I reckoned that one of 4 sticks of RAM was bad. As I hinted above, if I were doing it again, I'd get a Quicksilver. Mac OS 8.6 is nice but Mac OS 9.0.x is also good.
  3. ArmorAlley

ArmorAlley

An album (, but not an LP)
  4. ArmorAlley

Orange PC software

What's wrong with binary files? They are easy enough to expand. BinHex, StuffIt and many others will open them for you. Is your problem getting them onto your Q950? If you have a CD-burner on your main machine and an external SCSI CD-ROM for your Q950, then you could burn the .bin files on to a CD-ROM. Alternatively, if you have an external USB floppy drive, copy the .bin files on to a floppy or two. You'll need the control panel PC-Exchange on your Q950 to read FAT-formatted floppies. A NAS might work too if you have one that supports AFP.
  5. ArmorAlley

Rasterops 364 Colour Card

First of all you need a DA-15 to VGA adapter and preferably one with dip-switches on it. I'm at work now, so I can't give you any model numbers of my ones. Something like this would be good: https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-DB15-Male-Female-Switches/dp/B0016OC1J2 Next of all is the LCD monitor. These can be hit-and-miss, mostly because LCD monitors have a default frequency of 60MHz and monitors for Macs at the time supported higher frequencies (e.g. 75MHz). Many monitors support other frequencies. Epson monitors have a good reputation. I have a 1024x768 Eizo monitor that runs adequately for 640x480 as driven by a Supermac Thunder card in my IIfx or from a Performa 475. On another note, you probably left the PRAM battery inside your SE/30 all this time. I would that out of the SE/30 as soon as possible. There have been far too many cases of these batteries rupturing and destroying the motherboard as a consequence. The shorthand for it is «Maxell Bomb».
  6. ArmorAlley

mattsoft's IIfx

The opposite of a tanning salon.
  7. ArmorAlley

Time to restore the 170

I wonder if there ever was a BSoD one? Windows NT would have been right around then (well, NT came out in 1993 and the PB 170 in 1991).
  8. ArmorAlley

IIfx | IINTX 64-pin SIMMs

To bring this thread round full circle, if you need RAM for a IIfx, I have 4x 1MB sticks that you are welcome to. Say $10 for the 4?
  9. ArmorAlley

Stay away Mac-Folk, there is nothing for you to see here?
  10. ArmorAlley

I can now confirm that they will boot up a IIfx on their own and that they are 1MB SIMMs.
  11. ArmorAlley

SE/30 with an expansion card

A Maxell bomb - so sad. Still, be postive. Give it a good scrub with vinegar and hope & pray that none of the traces are damaged.
  12. ArmorAlley

SE/30 with an expansion card

You have a RasterOps ClearVue GS30 PDS video card in there. It seems to be an 8-bit grayscale card designed for the RasterOps ClearVue Monitor (at 75Mhz). There is a mention of in March 1990 MacWorld on Archive.org: https://archive.org/stream/MacWorld_9003_March_1990/MacWorld_9003_March_1990_djvu.txt RasterOps ClearVue/GS Precise. Clear. A Complete Solution. RasterOps’ advanced technology in VLSI has made it possible to offer gray scale performance at monochrome prices. The RasterOps ClearVue/GS and ClearVue/GS30 are the result of a superior design in 8-bit display technology. So don’t pay more for a display system that gives you anything less. The choice is obvious. 2500 Walsh Road, Santa Clara, California 9505 1 USA, 408-562-4200 Includes monitor, 8-bil display board, lill/swivcl, and software. Copyright 1989 RasterOps Corporation. RasterOps, CIcarVuc/GS and ClearVuc/GS30 are trademarks of RasterOps Corporation. All other brand names arc protected by the trademark holder. INFORMATION HOTLINE: 1-800-468-7600 See What Standard Monochrome Gray scale performance is a luxury you can now afford and a tool you can’t afford to be without. If you are using anything less than 8-bits per pixel, you are not using advanced technology. Image Studio, Digital Darkroom and PageMaker, plus hundreds of other software applications, are based on 8-bit display technology. Monochrome displays do not take advantage of the technological evolution of the Macintosh and third generation software. One bit per pixel just isn’t enough. The ClearVue/GS display lets you see 256 shades of gray with true visual fidelity. What you see on the screen is 100% true to your hard copy output. The other leading gray scale display reduces the image to 92% of your actual output. The ClearVue/GS 19” display has a resolution of 72 dots per inch, an industry standard developed by Apple. RasterOps’ advanced technol- ogy gives you the big picture. With the Extended Desktop feature, you can expand your work area. Imagine being able to work on a document up to eight times larger without scrolling. Pop-up menus bring up the menu bar anytime you need it, anywhere on the screen. And the refresh rate of 75 Hz renders the display flicker-free for long term viewing comfort. With built-in hardware Pan and Zoom, you can see the details of your work two or four times larger than the original image and then zoom out with a single keystroke.
  13. I've installed Mac OS 9.2.2 using the image from MacOS9Lives onto 6 mac mini G4s. I only had difficulty with one of them. It seems that the DVD-drive in that machine is defective. I got around around my problem by attaching an external firewire DVD-burner and booting from a newly burned boot CD. I assume that you put the newly formatted hard-drive back into the mac mini G4. (It's a silly question but I ask since you didn't mention it.) For all of the machines (including the one that I booted from the external drive), I pressed C at startup and held it there until I saw the familar smiling mac. Does nothing happen when you press Command-Option-O-F at startup? I found this site helpful when I was diagnosing problems: https://www.osxbook.com/book/bonus/ancient/whatismacosx/arch_boot.html This section seems relevant to you: If Open Firmware fails to find a boot device, a blinking folder is displayed. Open Firmware then loads a file of type tbxi (ToolBox ROM Image, for historical reasons) from the system partition. Note that this would have been the file called "Mac OS ROM" in the System Folder on Mac OS 9, while OS X loads /System/Library/CoreServices/BootX, which is the bootloader as well. BootX is then executed and Control is then passed to it. Another has come to mind: your mac mini G4 supports target mode. I've never tried it without an OS but I think it is supported by OF so it may work.