mg.man

• Content Count

• Last visited

Profile Information

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

1. So stick with 90C? ... just bake longer? Um... can you explain?
  2. Sounds like you've been there before.... Update on mine... baking Round 2 was 4 hours @ 100C.... I bumped the temp slightly since 100C is the boiling point for water (212F)... Initial results were even better than Round 1... here we are right after full boot... Unfotunately, after ~2 minutes... the darkening started... ...and after ~11 minutes... it was starting to really show... I still consider this a positive result... before any baking, the screen started to darken almost immediately, and after 10 minutes - the corners were totally black and only about 50% of the viewable area could be seen. So this is a VAST improvement and I believe fairly positive evidence that the issue is moisture. I've put the PB to one side for the moment... other projects call, but my plan is to do a serious Round 3 bake - probably for 8 hours or so... I may or may not bump the temp up another 10C... I welcome any comments / feedback....
  3. mg.man

Compatible Replacement Screen for PB 180?

Have you checked out this thread? I'm currently 'baking' mine a second time... noticeable improvement first time 'round... so we'll see...
  4. Just chiming in... Glad I found this thread!... I recently purchased a faulty (screen issues) PB180, figuring it probably needed a re-cap (which I've done on my PB100 with success... Oh no... it had a serious case of tunnelling... Just like @GregorHouse mentioned originally "Corners begin to dark after a few seconds and in a two minutes nearly all of the screen is dark." I was about to go on the hunt for a new display... when I found this thread and realised I was not alone. So... I stripped the display, pulled the panel and baked it yesterday for ~4 hours @ 90C (I'm in the UK)... The results were encouraging... but the tunnelling started to re-appear after about 10 - 15 minutes. Nowhere near as bad as before... but still there. I'm currently in the middle of my 2nd 'bake'... and will report back when it's done, cooled and re-instated... Thanks to all for the contributions to this thread!...
  5. mg.man

Macintosh Plus Analog Board Q12 replacement

Resurrecting this old thread in the hope of some advice / guidance from the pros... I have a Mac Plus which decided to go "pop" recently when I powered it up. Inspecting the 'board shows a blown fuse and a disintegrated Q12... ...further inspection, also seems to indicate that the insulation on the flyback transformer is gone... This happened a couple of months back... and I vaguely recall finds bits of 'something' - which may have been the fragmented insulation... A visual inspection of the 'board doesn't show anything else amiss... it's actually pretty clean. From reviewing this thread... it sounds like I should also check Q11 - or should that be Q10? The post refers to Q11, but Q10 was what's circled. It also sounds like I should check R53 / R54. Anything else? Also... could the insulation-less flyback have caused the original blowout? I plan on replacing it anyway (along with the RIFA), but curious if that could have been the cause... P.S. although clean... the 'board has obviously been repaired in the past... Ooo... that C18 doesn't look too healthy... adding that to the list...
  6. mg.man

512K repair - power supply issues

Although not directly related... I have a Plus which a couple of months back went snap/pop = dead. Inspecting the [International] AB showed that Q12 had disintegrated... I'm researching now and found another thread here discussing Q12 - Thought it might help if you've not run across it... Did you get yours back up and running?
  7. Just to close the loop... Thanks to @Damian Ward for letting me test out one of my 400k drives on his (working) 512k, I can confirm that the drive is recognised and reads a MFS diskette just fine. I also tried the drive on a Classic II (which I'd re-capped for him), but it behaved just like it did on my II and IIx. This seems to point to that requirement for a... A big thanks to everyone for sharing your experience! Now that I know I have a working drive, I can work on getting my 512k up and running!
  8. Thanks all! ... I'm working on bringing the 512k (as well as my Plus, which recently expired!) back to life. Once I have one working, I'll revisit these drives to see if I can get them working. Appreciate all the valuable info! FYI... there seems to be some debate here... according to the wiki [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_Woz_Machine], SWIM stood for the Sander-Wozniak Integrated Machine ... Personally, I like 'Super-' better...
  9. I found the following elsewhere online... "The official name for the upgrade was the M6051/C Macintosh II SuperDrive Upgrade Kit that included an internal SuperDrive (M0247) and the ROM/SWIM Kit (M0244)." Also... here's the "IWM" (which is actually a SWIM) in my IIx... ...and I also found the following in an Apple Service Guide... So it looks like my II has the original "IWM" and the IIx the "SWIM"... I guess I'll have to get the 512k going to figure out if there's any life in either drive...
  10. I don't believe so... here's a pic of the IWM chip...
  11. Just to add, I also have a IIx, and the 400k drive behaves the same in both. Both II(s) seem to communicate with the drive, they pop up the unrecognised disk dialogue, and you can step through to attempting to initialise/erase the disk... but that only results in some head movement and the disk being ejected.
  12. I recently acquired a 512k Mac with an additional external drive. Both drives were totally jammed, but thanks to the advice here and elsewhere, I have them freed up and accepting / ejecting disks. I don't have the 512k recommissioned yet, so have tried them in my Mac II. It sees the drives, but won't read or format. I've tried System 6.0.8 and 7.x... Is it possible to at least test these drives in a non-compact Mac?