MrFahrenheit

• Content Count

• Last visited

Profile Information

• Interests
    Vintage System 6, 7.x, HyperCard, older vintage hardware such as Jaz and Zip drives, Apple A/UX, Mac OS X Server, Debian Linux, Calculating Pi to insane digits.

Recently been recapping all of my vintage hardware.

Recent Profile Visitors

165 profile views
  1. MrFahrenheit

Any interest in 16MB Mac IIFX memory modules?

I'm interested. I have 2x IIfx machines.
  2. MrFahrenheit

Possibly Awesome Haul Tomorrow

If you weren't aware, there's a company that manufactures brand new replacement feet for the Quadra/Centris 610/PMac6x00 line and they sell them on eBay. A set of 4 are like $25 or something. Alternatively, Performa 611x Macs often sell for very little on eBay for some strange reason. I picked one up recently with a CD-ROM, 16MB of RAM, a working 500MB hard drive, and case in excellent condition, for $20 plus $15 shipping.
  3. Just wondering what kind of anticipated cost you'd be placing on 4x16MB modules. Not going to hold you to it, just an estimate. I'd very much be interested in 4x16MB for my IIfx pair. Even if I could just upgrade one for now, that would be great!
  4. MrFahrenheit

Mr Fahrenheit's pics

5. MrFahrenheit

Recapping : if it ain’t broke don’t fix it?

All I can say is time kills these machines. I've seen it myself. I've bought numerous machines that were demonstrated as working on eBay, and arrived non-functional. A simple recap resolved the issue most of the time. Other times I've bought a non-working machine in an attempt to fix it, and a recap doesn't solve the problem, it's too far gone. It doesn't take long after it starts to leak to cause significant damage and sometimes irreparable and permanent damage. I can honestly say it's not that hard. The hardest part is actually trying to get caps off without damaging traces and pads. I have a good method that is successful about 95-98% of the time (I've lost one pad in about 10 machines). If you only have one or two to do, and you don't have any of the equipment, then maybe better to just send them to someone else to recap. But it is inevitable and a day will come where only a handful of machines still exist in working condition because owners failed to heed the warning and the caps leaked beyond repair. That and explosive batteries will likely take out 80% of the surviving machines since 2010. 75% of the remaining surviving machines will be tossed in e-waste and recycled because people don't know any better. I predict less than 5% of surviving machines since 2010 will actually be saved, be usable, and function completely, in the next 10 years. Let's revisit in 2030 and see if I'm right.
  6. Sort of off-topic but not, I own one of these. https://ultimate64.com/Ultimate-64-Elite It's an AMAZING piece of hardware. If someone did this for 68K Mac it would be a miracle!
  7. That's awesome!! Do you have any plans to do other models? I imagine something like the LC475 would be fairly easy (small board) and 68LC040 chips are actually quite easy to get (they appear in old phone switches that you can buy for not much $$).
  8. Wow! This is a very exciting yet challenging project! What do you think your success rate will be ? Before I learned about the electronics aspect of computers I would have thought that only the original is built to work like the original. Little did I know all a motherboard really is is a bunch of wires connecting components. They did something like this in the Commodore 64 scene and it turned out really well. Then an enterprising person redid everything so it was still compatible but simplified. I think as time goes on that is what we’ll see here. Imagine buying an SE/30 motherboard that is 99.9% compatible and yet is actually running a bunch of FPGA chips to replace most of the components on the board. Good luck and you seem motivated and fully capable of getting a working design out of this. I’m waiting for Apple to get on the “retro mini” bandwagon and sell commemorative mini Macs that are made for some fun and poking around. Will never happy but it’s nice to dream.
  9. MrFahrenheit

Re-capping IIsi problems....

Have you plugged in an external speak to see if you get any tones externally? Are you able to hear a click sound through the speaker indicating the board powers up ?
  10. MrFahrenheit

Visually it looks very clean. I've also had pads come off and I've done as you have, solder to a scraped off trace, and it works just fine that way, providing it actually is making contact. I also checked some of your components for bent pins that would touch, and don't see any (I had a IIci that wouldn't boot, and I found something had pushed two CPU pins together). Caps all look oriented the correct way. Do you get anything from powering on? Can you confirm your PSU is working correctly? The IIsi has 1MB of on-board soldered RAM, used for the integrated on-board video display. If somehow that RAM gets damaged or affected, it would cause the machine to not boot properly. Not sure what else to tell you. In cases like this, I'm saving up the motherboards, an I plan to ship them off to Branchus Creations in AUS in one lot (shipping to AUS is expensive!).
  11. MrFahrenheit

Are you using a hot air heat gun to remove your caps? What temperature are you using to remove and to solder the caps ? I’m not that experienced with a multimeter but there’s a setting on most that will measure the capacitance by charging or discharging depending upon whether you hold positive to positive and negative to negative (charges the cap) or other way around (discharges). I was told to make sure to discharge before trying to charge. Check YouTube there’s a bunch of videos but essentially you put your multimeter on a setting in range of the cap your testing and it tells you how full it charged (or inf if the cap holds a lot) but it demonstrates whether the cap is able to work on the board. This is how I found 5 that weren’t actually electricity connected to the circuit even though they were soldered on.
  12. MrFahrenheit

IIsi blank screen on power-on

Motherboard capacitors need to be changed and fishy goo needs to be neutralized and cleaned up.
  13. MrFahrenheit

LCIII No Sound

Firstly, check your PRAM battery. These machines have issues when the battery is missing or no longer providing the correct volts to keep the settings. Additionally, I imagine you haven’t yet recapped the motherboard?
  14. MrFahrenheit

Checkout this: Do you have a multimeter? If so you can verify your capacitors are taking charge and discharging through traces on the board.
  15. MrFahrenheit

I had the same problem on my first recap, which was also a IIsi. It wasn’t green, but otherwise similar. Let me try and remember what it was.