gcp

• Content Count

• Last visited

Profile Information

• Interests
    Classic Mac, NeXT, and SGI hardware. Pinball repair & restoration. Reggae.
  1. gcp

Dumb*]#* eBay sellers

I haven't had a bad eBay shipping experience in many years, so I was caught by surprise a couple of weeks ago when an IIci showed up in the mail... The seller just put it in a big cardboard box, and threw a few pieces of crumpled up paper in there with it. I've never seen a worse packing job in my life. When I picked it up I could hear bits ratting around inside of the case. When I got it opened up, the speaker bracket had come loose and was just flopping around inside the case. The top case had cracked and split off from the bottom, and one of the 'latches' at the back had snapped off. Luckily I hadn't bought this one for the cosmetics, but I *had* bought it for the recapped logic board. I was relieved when it appeared to function properly. My heart skipped a beat again today when a box arrived with what was supposed to be a cosmetically nice IIci case -- the box looked too small to even fit a IIci, let alone securely! Luckily it arrived unscathed... Hopefully will have some time to do the transplant this weekend.
  2. Thanks for the replies -- yeah I originally planned to order from apple rescue of Denver before noticing they were out of stock too. Doh! I've been keeping an eye on eBay. Great pointer to Herb's store - I've sent him a note. Looks like he might have some feet as well - fingers crossed! Small world -- looks like is based a hop, skip, and a jump from where I grew up and spent most of my formative years. I'd be surprised if a bunch of his SGI stuff didn't come from the same place I used to play around on the Princeton campus back in the early 90's, learning how to cause mischief on the young internet
  3. I've recently been resurrecting a IIci and managed to get just about everything working. One thing that's starting to bother me is that I don't have an interrupt switch -- all three of the machines & cases that I've used to cobble this thing together are missing theirs Anyone know of a source for these? I've seen re-creations for the all-in-one Macs, and even the Q650, but nothing for the IIci / Q700. thanks!