dan.dem

• Content Count

• Last visited

Profile Information

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

1. dan.dem

Dumb*]#* eBay sellers

Sorry for continuing something off topic: My January 1991 LC came with a screw. But my girlfriend's May 1991 model did not have one. So I think they ditched it around this time, probably depending on production plant. In a public/lab situation it offers some protection from someone stealing memory SIMMs or expansion cards (or even larger innards). On-topic: Packaging. I do not want to blame the shipping company's workers, since they are paid so badly and are forced to work in a very fast pace. Also, many sellers are totally unaware of how strong the packaging really has to be especially for heavy goods, to survive the rough handling you have to expect. I'm mostly buying and selling locally, which is probably easier in Europe since it is more densly populated. This may be an exercise in patience for collectors, which I am not. avoiding shipping and buying heavy goods from
  2. dan.dem

IIfx | IINTX 64-pin SIMMs

Thank you trag for the in-depth explanation, even when I'm missing the knowledge necessary to follow it. At least it became clear to me, that IIfx-RAM is proprietary but recreatable. However, I cannot think about many applications where you would need more than 32 MB RAM (using 8 pcs of 4 MB SIMMs) and at the same time like to use a Mac II-class machine. The most I had installed in 68k-times was 36 MB (on a Quadra-class Mac). What comes to my mind when I think about a Mac IIfx is running system 6-applications on the fastest machine possible, thus being limited to 8 MB anyway. @trag What better way to spend one's time?
  3. dan.dem

Is Mac IIfx and LaserWriter RAM proprietary indeed? Not some sort of relatively uncommon but still standard RAM? Does anybody have knowledge about this? Early PowerBooks do suffer from this proprietory RAM issue, or more exactly their users were/are suffering. In the late 1990s I payed about 400 US$ for a 48 MB RAM card for my PB5300, and this was considered a bargain. Few month later I was able to aquire 64 MB of FPM for my 6100 for about 80$.
  4. dan.dem

Macintosh LCII Restoration

I think the main difference between 1.x versions is compatibility with (what was then) newer Macs and later Mac System versions. Probably there are releases for unification of the code base, since SimCity was available on so many platforms. I don't remeber big differences, however cannot say when 3D-view and higher color depth were introduced (guess: not before SimCity 2000).
  5. dan.dem

Hopefully I don't annoy anybody since I can't answer directly to your questions. But I have worked with/on IIfxes in the early 1990s. I always prefer original sources, which means Apple in this case. Apple's Memory Guide: https://www.macintoshrepository.org/24780-apple-memory-guide states (p. 12) The original Apple leaflet for the IIfx ( http://tech-insider.org/mac/research/acrobat/9003.pdf ) mentions that 80ns SIMMs are needed. In the 1990s I often found that the original memory speeds became difficult to obtain, but faster modules mostly proved to be backward compatible. So this may indicate that your modules, it they prove to be 70ns, may work. What concerns me is that they are copyrighted 1990, quite early, so not sure about the 70ns. However there are no warnings that LaserWriter memory may destroy fx hardware, so it may be worth a try, given the modules look in good shape. But you may encounter the startup crash sound (a minor down chord) and a sad Mac, which does not mean your hardware is toast but the Mac cannot start. However there is always a risk with unknown hardware. So I do not want to make actual recomendations. Remember using always 4 identical modules per bank, and start filling up the fx with the largest modules in bank A (the latter required on many Mac IIs but not specifically mentioned for the fx). Parity memory may also be a concern, but only some specific (rare) models are requiring it, other models may (or may not) just ignore the additional information (same module form factor).
  6. I have to correct myself. Memory tends to make the past better then it was. For example here the refresh rate of the original Apple High-Resolution RGB Monitor and related displays at 640x480. The original specs sheet reads: Scan rates: 35.0 kilohertz horizontal, 66.7 hertz vertical Original VGA is 60 Hz (hertz) as stated, some not so early devices may support higher scan/refresh rates. Again, sorry for the error.
  7. I don't know about the specs of the LCs VRAM SIMMs, but I wouldn't expect that a 512k from a LC III or later would work on an LC/LCII. Back in the early 1990s I bought a specific LC 512 kB VRAM SIMM and it works, giving 256 colors/grays on 640x480 or "Thousands" on 512/560x384. The video on LCs is connected by a slow/narrow bus (16 bit SE-style, I guess). I am quite sure LCI/II and LCIII/IV do not have the same VRAM speed. It is a common misconception that faster chips work well in slower circuits. This is generally not the case, since they have optimized "phase delay times" (not sure I translated this term correctly, in German it's "Phasenlaufzeit") for their operating speeds. BTW, VRAM-SIMMs are not of the 72-pin SIMM type like the main systems RAM in the LC III/IV. About monitors: If an analogue RGB monitor, like the Apple 12" RGB you used, works with a certain resolution and refresh rate it will work independently of the color depth. The analogue transmitted signals are just the same, only the signal levels have coarser or finer steps. So, your 12 inch Apple RGB display is most likely good. And, as I wrote in my previous posting, the sense pins in the monitor connector or adapter (here controlled by the dip-switches) are telling your Mac what resolution and refresh rate the monitor expects. Note that there are different refresh rates for the 640x480 format (Apple 75 Hz, original VGA 60 Hz). Again, this has nothing to do with the screen depth on analogue signals.
  8. Many questions have already been answered, as an original LC owner I want - in good old usenet style - to sum up some findings and add my own experiences: 1. Mac System 6 and 7 offer system specific installations especially for the LC, taking also care for its video circuitry. You should use these or probably the "universal Install" ("for all Macintoshes") settings of the Mac System Installer. The original LC (with MC68020) is compatible with versions 6.0.6 to 7.5.5. 2. The LC comes originally with one VRAM SIMM of 256kB in a single VRAM socket (next to the RAM sockets). This may be exchanged for a 512 kB VRAM SIMM (I did this in on my system in 1992). 3. With 256kB VRAM you get 256 colors/grays on Apple's 12 inch RGB Monitor, giving a screen resolution of 512 x 384 pixels, or 560 x 384 with the Apple II card (and with some system or monitor cdev versions, can't remember any more). You get 16 colors/grays with Apple's 13" High Resolution or Apple's later 14" displays, all at 640 x 480 pixels. Note, these are not VGA displays (different horizontal and vertical frequency). You get the same 640 x 480 pixels at 16 colors/grays on real VGA displays. 4. Original Apple Monitors are signaling their type by the so called "sense pins" in the display connector. If you are using a non-Apple monitor you need an adapter which usually includes dip switches, allowing you to configure the sense pins according to your needs. Note, that the later popular Multisync setting may likely not work with LC. You have to go for true VGA or simulating an Apple 13/14 inch (need to look up correct timing and sense pin-settings). 5. If you exchange the original 256 kB VRAM for a 512 kB one, you get "Thousands" of colors on the Apple 12" display and 256 colors/grays on 640 x 480 (both Apple 13/14" or real VGA). Everything about sense pin settings apply here as well. Also: A analogue CRT monitor doesn't have an electrical limit in the numbers of colors it can display, it solely depends on the computer video hard- and software. If your system software is correctly installed (preferably from a booted installer medium), and your video adapter/cable is correctly configured (you need to consult your adapter's configuration instructions or try through all possible settings) and you still have video issues the VRAM SIMM may be damaged. More options for transferring software: If your source computer can handle 1.44 MB floppy disks (Mac or PC) you can use these on the LC too. To access DOS-formatted floppies (or even hard disks) comfortably you need a cdev from System 7.5 "PC Exchange", this may run also on 7.1 (not sure). For older Systems there was also the third party (Insignia Solutions or so) cdev "Access PC" which worked similar and probably even with System 6. However I have a faint memory of a system utility which shipped originally with "Super Drive" equipped Macs (1,44 MB types) which could be used too. To avoid problems with the resource fork of Mac software it is preferable to compress it with older versions of StuffIt or CompactPro (or encode the software to binhex-format). You need to unstuff/uncompress/unbinhex your compressed/encoded files on the LC. Other transfer options are modem or network (even using ftp on a MacTCP-equipped LC - I had to fall back to this in University), but I don't want to discuss this in detail since this is already a very long post. Games: You may want to look for newer versions of old Mac games. Old versions originally been written for 1-bit video on non-multifinder systems are often not compatible with newer video hardware, multi-color systems, Multi-Finder or System 7. (Re-) Releases from 1991 to 1993 may work most likely. Some games need 640x480 screens, some need 8-bit video (256 colors/grays), however many offer 4 bit (16 colors/grays) or even 1-bit (monochrome) versions.
  9. dan.dem

Will this RAM work in a Classic II?

This is now decades since the last time I bought RAM for a 68k Mac, but I never bought 9-chip SIMMs, since Macs do not use the parity bit, so need only 8-chip configurations. But the reliable Jag's House website at https://www.jagshouse.com/ram_guide.html says, that the parity-chip is just ignored, making 9-bit SIMMs compatible to a Classic II. While 100ns speed is mentioned on Jag's House I remember faster 70ns ones being compatible. I don't have any idea about the required voltage but never had difficulties on 68k Macs (ran into voltage problems only with much younger Intel Macs).
  10. Your demo looks very promising. Some thoughts: A monochrome variant for the original 68000 is a completely different beast than colour games for the later models. However considering the original Flight Sim ran on an Apple II a game like yours is surely doable on a 68000. The demo seems to require only 16 colours - on a Mac freely picked out of a 24bit palette. This helps with the original LC's slower system bus. Your screen size seems also quite moderate. It may fit on the original monochrome's 512x342 pixels, and the popular Macintosh 12" RGB display (512 or 560 x 384). For me the flight scene looks so attractive, I would want to see it embedded in a full game story.