petteri

• Content Count

• Last visited

Profile Information

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

1. By the way, what would be the proper way to redraw those buttons in case of updateEvt and when the application window is shown again. Without any redraw there is a white clipping. Edit: Never mind, I didn't realize there is DrawControls
  2. petteri

G3 Pismo startup issue

Another 500Mhz Pismo built from pile of spares with 192MB RAM and 10GB HD. Similar condition outside but keyboard is very worn. I have couple broken keyboards, I wonder if it is worth of the effort try to replace keycaps. The scissor mechanism looks somewhat fragile. I could possibly build third one but I am lacking display hinge screws
  3. petteri

G3 Pismo startup issue

Excellent news. After a countryside weekend I had a new attempt with Pismo. First I had a better look with memory chips and found out I actually had 512MB + 128 MB combo available. Then I wanted to see whether the heatsink makes any difference. Apparently 500MHz CPU doesn't want even to boot without heatsink. I must have spent too much time with old II series Macintoshes... So, I put everything together and tightened screws. Now it booted up nice, no chime though. After OS 9 loaded I could verify CPU speed and memory. Now sound worked fine. Then a reboot with chime. Great! As I have plenty of Pismo parts I was able to choose nicer looking plastics and even have all fours bottom rubber pads The old 6 GB HD had a German OS X 10.1 installed as well so I booted there. Everything seems to work, DVD drive is fine but the biggest surprise was the battery. Two batteries are totally dead and not accepting any charge. But third one reports over two hours on OS X 10.1. I have to try that out whether it really can do two hours on battery power. Next thing would be to find a 802.11g & WPA compatible wlan card. Also, replacing old 6GB HD with SSD could be nice. There is still a big pile of Pismo parts, I'll have a look if I am able to put together one more working unit.
  4. petteri

G3 Pismo startup issue

Some results of the Pismo sorting session: 5 CPUs but only 2 are ok. All of them boot but all 500MHz models do not have sound and seem to be unstable. The faulty 400Mhz has distorted sound and crashes. I guess there isn't anything I could do with them? 3 nice working screens with good inverters. 2-3 good logic board + power&sound card combos. I wish I could get one of the 500MHz CPUs working but I have no clue what to do with them.
  5. petteri

G3 Pismo startup issue

There seems to be both 400MHz and 500MHz CPUs but without memory. Two working HDs, couple good looking screens and cases and keyboards. But no batteries or Airport cards at all.
  6. petteri

G3 Pismo startup issue

Alright, I got some parts. Something like 5 G3 Pismos in various levels of destruction. Some should boot but have broken screens etc. The guy I fetched them from said I should be able to get at least one working Pismo out of those. Let's see... Oh, and I got also two IIcx more (logic board and case only) but that is a different story.
  7. Alright, I have my copyBits animation stuff working with buttons and menus controlling it. I ended up creating three offscreens, two are for the static sources and one is for the staging area before copying everything to the screen. Might be a little bit excessive but no need to load pictures from the resources for each refresh. It even runs fine on my SE/30 with 7.5.5 Thanks again for the help!
  8. Thanks guys, the example looks pretty much what I'm looking for.
  9. One more question. I want to have buttons straight on the window next to the picture without any dialog. These buttons would have direct effect on the picture without need of hitting any ok button. Is it possible to use the standard buttons without dialog? Or should I go more low level and draw button looking image and figure out if mousedown happens on it?
  10. It seems display sleep or some other energy saver causes this machine to became really slow on screen redraws, for example while typing or just refreshing windows. After restart everything back to normal. I have scanned the HD with Disinfectant 3.7.1. The computer has ATI Rage Pro with 6MB VRAM and it is running 9.2.2 and the latest ATI drivers. Any ideas?
  11. Hehe, this went pretty fast from a fun little hello world window to the dark misery. Things I suffered lately: Trying to find good, simple and working example of offscreen and copybits for Think Pascal. Eventually used https://www.lysator.liu.se/~ingemar/tp45d4/port_microanim_to_45.html and http://mirror.informatimago.com/next/developer.apple.com/documentation/mac/QuickDraw/QuickDraw-304.html Didn't get it working on my project. Got a head ache with correct imports/uses. Copied source of microanim to my project. Didn't work. Checking with debugger what is the QDErr. -108. Can't find any description for that. Copied the whole project of microanim and compared resources. Window is different sized. Turns out the Run Options had too small memory settings... But with "Try Harder" mentality it is progressing. Deadline in February so I should be able to finish this by then...
  12. Back to basics. I wrote a simple application to load PICT from resources and to display it using simple DrawPicture. Works fine as a stand alone compiled application but if I try the "Run" command on Think Pascal 4.5a1 and OS 9.2.2 I get an empty window. Is that some known issue? Edit: Ah, the PICT was in 24bit image. I converted it to 1bit in GraphicsConverter and works fine now.
  13. petteri

G3 Pismo startup issue

Hopefully I will receive some Pismo parts in couple of weeks time. I think Pismo should give a chime without a working display inverter board, modem or hard drive so I can rule those out. Actually a better bottom case with a working logic board would be nice as this one looks like it has been left on a kitchen hot plate...
  14. petteri

G3 Pismo startup issue

I think there is a bad connector, solder or trace somewhere. I managed to get the chime and screen on once more but after a little shaking screen went black. Power card, sound card or the logic board?
  15. petteri

G3 Pismo startup issue

This machine is driving me nuts. I put everything back together minus one T8 short screw, no clue where I left it out. And it started up with the chime. I plugged in the HD and restarted, now the OS started. Pretty good. I could see the battery meter was reading 2 hours, hard to believe that being really the condition of the battery. This has been in storage at least ten years. Then I plugged in the PRAM battery and restarted from the menu. Everything fine. Shutdown, place the laptop on the table and start again. No chime. PRAM battery off, no chime. Main battery out for a moment and then back. No chime. So I had this working for five minutes and then back to zero. Couple options... - There is some bad connector or solder somewhere that got upset while I moved the laptop. - The PRAM battery managed to mess up something and I need to wait that something to lose its state - ???