sfiera

• Content Count

• Last visited

Contact Methods

• Website URL
    https://sfiera.net/

Profile Information

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

1. sfiera

MacSCSI by John Bass AT LAST!

https://archive.org/details/dr_dobbs_journal_vol_10/page/n721/mode/2up ?
  2. sfiera

I've just got an SE/30 and need some help

It sounds like you have already managed to get files between the SE-30 and modern computers, maybe with Ethernet or a USB floppy drive? Could you explain a little more how you are doing that? In particular, .dsk files are raw floppy images. If you can write floppies, you can set up your machine by imaging the floppy directly with software like balena Etcher, instead of copying the data as files. Mini vMac uses .dsk images, so much of the software on the Gryphel website is already packaged that way.
  3. And here’s one now: https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/v722699378 …sort of. It’s a Dynamac case, but it looks like the case has been dremeled out in the back to replace with a Plus logic board.
  4. sfiera

Kryoflux

I looked around a bit. Here’s a post from the Kyroflux forums. It claims that most floppy drives don’t work, but a particular Sony drive (the MPF920-1) does. There’s a MPF920 (no “-1”) on Mercari for ¥1700. It wouldn’t be surprising if Sony drives were best for the purpose… but another post there claims Sony drives (including the MPF920, also no “-1”) are no good with Kryoflux. A blog post tries out a bunch of drives and succeeds—only with the Sony ones. In my searching, I didn’t find any definitive source of information.
  5. Wouldn’t this essentially amount to hotplugging ADB?
  6. sfiera

Mac Display information

Ah, found it in Technote HW30: http://mirror.informatimago.com/next/developer.apple.com/technotes/hw/pdf/hw_30.pdf Confirms that the diodes aren’t necessary. For the Multiple Scan 14”, just wire Sense1 and Sense2 together.
  7. sfiera

Mac Display information

Does anyone have an Apple Multiple Scan 14 Display and a multimeter? One of the things I’m wondering about is the sense code for a multi-scan display that accepts up to 800×600. In my VGA adapter, this is indicated by wiring diodes both ways between pins 7 and 10. In theory, the computer could detect that the diodes are present from the voltage drop, but that seems unnecessarily complicated. I would guess that it drives each pin low and checks if the other one goes low, without caring about diodes or voltage drop. The diode arrangement just happens to be convenient in the VGA adapter, since there are already dip switches assigned to the diodes for 1024×768 and 1152×870. Is someone able to measure the voltage drop across these pins? I’m guessing that there isn’t any, and the pins are wired directly together.
  8. sfiera

Mac Display information

Oh, I assumed the 640×400 option was for Apple II emulation, but it’s the IIgs’s resolution, so that explanation doesn’t really make sense. And: So I take it that this is implicitly supported on 680×480 monitors.
  9. I spent a while today getting my head around sense pins and timing for old Macintosh (DA-15) displays. Here is the writeup: Mac Tech: Displays This is a result of online information-gathering, a little hypothesizing, as well as probing my UnimacFly VGA adapter with a multimeter. Its dip switches appear to correspond to pins [11, 4, 7, 10, X, 10→7, 7→10, X], and knowing that, there are additional output modes you can try, like 512×384 (11011001) and 640×870 (10101001). There’s more information I’d like to include, such as a schematic for building your own adapter.
  10. sfiera

Connecting a Mac Plus to SE/30 via LocalTalk

Should work just fine.
  11. sfiera

mac classic ii and a wimodem

How are you connecting it? I see a modem with a DB25 port there, but it's a RS-232 serial connector, not SCSI.
  12. Was checking system versions before making a floppy. Have you tried System 7? The Classic II appears to be compatible with 6.0.8L but not standard 6.0.8, so maybe 7 is the proper System Software for it.
  13. If there were previously problems using the machine with SCSI devices, that may indicate a problem with the computer rather than the SCSI2SD setup. I don’t have experience diagnosing that kind of thing, though I’d think display problems would point at the analog board rather than the logic board. If you need a boot floppy, you can often find someone to mail one to you. Say, someone in the same country…
  14. You did turn termination back on while it was connected externally, right? Everything you’ve done sounds correct to me, so I’d continue swapping things out until you can isolate the problem. You don’t have the ability to boot from floppy or connect the SCSI2SD to another computer? You might try using a different SD card or a smaller image. I have this vague memory of seeing the “blink once” behavior when the disk wasn’t initialized or bootable, but I doubt it’s the only thing that causes that behavior.
  15. sfiera

Sfiera’s Conquests

Relatedly, I noticed that the interior of the umbilical plug has “18-23” written in small text, which pointed me to a familiar-looking family of connectors.