Profile Information

Profile Fields

• OCCUPATION
    Software development/engineering

Recent Profile Visitors

2756 profile views
  1. quorten

Compact Mac Repair Guide

All URLs archived for good measure. https://web.archive.org/web/20151117091556/https://68kmla.org/files/classicmac2.pdf https://web.archive.org/web/20200107140520/http://www.ccadams.org/se/classicmac2.pdf https://web.archive.org/web/20201017072737/https://cdn.hackaday.io/files/1681007191990400/classicmac2.pdf
  2. quorten

Mac SE - Single Pixel Thick Verticle Jail-lines

Regarding schematic, I've retraced the nigh unreadable incomplete fragment of a schematic and have it here in my GitHub repository. Pages 2 and 3 are nowhere to be found on the Internet, but at least page 1 covers everything you need to know about your circuit in question.
  3. quorten

Mac SE - Single Pixel Thick Verticle Jail-lines

If you mention damaged trace on the logic board... let me put up my guess from what little I know of the Macintosh SE logic board. The BBU chip is responsible for fetching video as a 16-bit word at a time from RAM by controlling *DTACK to prevent the CPU from accessing RAM at the same time. (Unless a PDS expansion card requests priority over *DTACK via the *EXTDTK control signal.) Once the 16-bit video word is grabbed, it is stored in an internal shift register and the data is shifted out verbatim to VIDOUT, most significant bit first. Logic level zero is white, logic level one is black. (The analog board logically negates the signal as part of its processing to generate the CRT drive signal.) My guess is that if there were a short, it would cause an overall system malfunction since all RAM reads would have a dead bit. I guess it could be possible the shift register in the BBU was damaged in a way that creates a "dead pixel," but I can't imagine improper configuration of the MBRAM and ROW2 RAM configuration inputs would cause this. Nevertheless, you can check trace RDO13 (and adjacent traces) and see if it is shorted.
  4. Can someone find good photos of the Macintosh 512k box? I've had trouble finding them myself, I'd assume it's basically the same as the 512ke box but without "enhanced" printed, but photos are the only way to know for sure. Also on the poll, I'm seeing interest for 512k is higher than for 512ke.
  5. quorten

Replica boxing for Macintosh SE

Exterior cardboard design of the Macintosh 128k was quite easy, all vector graphics. Interior box designs are mostly copied from exterior ones, except for the power cord, so that will be pretty easy to finish off too.
  6. quorten

@CC_333 Yeah, if you still have the foam blocks, photos of them would definitely be a help! I believe the Macintosh SE/30 used redesigned foam that was meant to be nearly universal across all models of compact Macintosh, at least for some of the pieces. Later model Macintosh Plus and Macintosh SE boxing use this design as well, though I could never get a clear view of the pieces in 360 degrees, only vague appearances in the corners of Ebay photos.
  7. Okay, so some discussion about ideas of pricing I've been thinking about. Initially I was thinking all boxes would be pretty much sold at the same price, i.e. any cardboard only approx. $15, any cardboard plus foam approx. $80. Granted that SE/30 machines resell for a bit higher price than the common machines, it may make sense to use a two-level pricing method to allow Plus and SE boxing to be available at 50% the price of SE/30 by raising the price of SE/30 a bit to compensate. Original Macintosh and 512k/512ke would be priced the same as SE/30. The price points I estimate are mainly higher due to one-time tooling cost from manufacturing in relatively small volume, so if Macintosh Plus boxing does become much more popular than originally anticipated, this still makes sense.
  8. quorten

RaSCSI Development Thread

Yeah, really, I agree... I figured it would be a good idea to find out what the hangout time was like after the fact since I missed it live.
  9. quorten

RaSCSI Development Thread

I'd have to say, I think @PotatoFi's video (I wasn't on the livestream) is pretty good to watch for those of us who question our soldering skills... I guess I'm actually not too bad for a novice myself after all. Otherwise, yeah, with the length and all, sort of a waste of time to watch the whole thing, but hey, PotatoFi had to go through all of that time one way or another.
  10. quorten

Replacing CCFL LCD Backlights with LEDs?

In the case of the 2005 Dell Inspiron e1505 laptop I've mentioned, I found out that it uses a MAX8759ETI IC as the "brain" of the inverter board and I've found the datasheet online. It's capable of dimming control via PWM, SMBus (I2C), or ambient light sensor. I wish I knew what year it was introduced... so all that said, if similar PMICs were on the market during the time of the design, I think Apple would likely use one of the most advanced ones and connect via SMBus. The earlier PowerBooks may have been more likely to use PWM for brightness control signaling to the inverter.
  11. quorten

Replacing CCFL LCD Backlights with LEDs?

For my experience, one big problem is disassembling the screen to to install the replacement. I've simply used a matching replacement panel when I had a CCFL bulb failure, though I would have preferred swapping out with an LED light. Another big problem is mechanical compatibility such as bulb length, "inverter" board mounting and electrical connectors, so it's important to double-check this. In the case of the 30" Cinema Display, it may be pretty tough to find a compatible replacement, but that's my guess. Still, electrical signal compatibility with the inverter can also be a problem. For example, this inverter that I've worked with is meant to be used in conjunction with the Samsung LTN154X3-L09 LCD screen inside my 2005 Dell Inspiron e1505, it uses a much more complicated flat flex cable for the input. The bulb output is the two-pin connector on the left.
  12. quorten

Okay, so I was downplaying myself about totally blowing the foam dimensions. It turns out that even though my starting assumption was the wrong in-box orientation, rescaling for the correct orientation barely changed the dimensions of my foam block! So, here you go @maceffects, out of one of the two pieces of foam I've been modeling, the "Macintosh top cap" one is good enough to use for cost estimations, attaching as an STL file here, 1 STL unit = 1 mm. The foam block bounding box should be approximately 19.3 x 15.3 x 8.5 inches. For Macintosh Plus (black and white boxing), Macintosh SE, and Macintosh SE/30. Cardboard box outer dimensions: 19.5 x 15.5 x 20 (vertical) inches. Bursting test: 275 pounds per square inch. Regular slotted contaner, bleach white exterior, kraft brown interior, two-color printing (red and black). The color boxing would of course be laminate printing. Let me know what you find out! foam-test.stl
  13. Well, we'll see. So far with only a few responses, the interest is definitely also there for SE/30. I'd guess a cardboard-only order could be quite economic if total box orders is around 50-100, maybe around $15. But yeah, with the shaped foam blocks, low volume could be quite a bit more expensive per box. But if that means $80 total, maybe it's not too bad either. We'll have to see.
  14. quorten

Oh wow... now I found that there are even two revisions of the Macintosh SE boxing! The older revision has "™" trademark marking around the Macintosh name, the newer revision has "®" registered trademark for the Macintosh name, and it has carrying handle holes.
  15. Since I'm ending up creating the box art designs and foam block designs for multiple compact Macintosh models, I'd like to get an idea of the general interest for prints of each particular model's replica boxing. Note that the Macintosh Plus in particular has a few different revisions of box art, as noted in the questions. Regarding the questions of shaped foam blocks, generally you'd want to select either "cardboard only" or "with shaped foam blocks," but not both. Only check both for the same model if you want two cardboard prints and one set of foam blocks. I plan on having "Restored" (or similar) printed on all the boxes because (1) most of you buying replica boxing would have fixed up your vintage Macintosh and (2) to prevent confusion with the real original boxing.