• Content Count

• Last visited

About jessenator

• Birthday October 16

Profile Information

Recent Profile Visitors

1312 profile views
  1. jessenator

Quadra 700 Astec PSU - Bad caps or something else?

I haven't experienced that particular problem, but with a PSU that old, new caps is good due diligence and might solve the issue. Not sure if there's much difference between the AA15831 and the AA15830, but you could take a look at the cap list here: I'm sure those Zener diodes aren't terribly expensive, but not knowing the exact spec, I can't say for sure.
  2. jessenator

SCSI CD-ROM troubleshooting and maintenance

Thanks for the points you mentioned. Yeah, it's as I supposed: these devices are complicated and there's a few things to go wrong, some of which are irreparable. Still it's not over till it's over Now that I know what to look for, I think I'll open the 4x back up and see if there's anything mechanical going on from the points above. I think out of some lackadaisical dedication to OE restoration, I started replacing like for like on the PowerComputing machines. I kept the Apple/Sony CD for my ATAPI 4400 (and gave it a boost from 8x to 24x), but felt some cosmic tug to use Toshiba for the PowerTower (originally into the PowerWave). I think the PT actually had some NEC drive in it, but it probably was still a Toshiba, just with a different case/HW appearance. SCSI termination might also be a factor here. When it was still consistently working, I was able to connect it (4x) to my Quadra 700, but …not in a traditional way. I had originally intended to use my non-working Bernoulli's case to house is, because what is it other than a PSU and SCSI connections. I stopped when the very tight-fitting SCSI ribbon wouldn't attach. But I actually had to remove termination to get the drive to work after Jerry-rigging it and the HDD (spinner) with the case open. (The quantum drive has the resistor pack termination) I have a working 600i that I snagged for a low price, so that should hopefully make a better base. I've decided if I was to attempt this (external case solution) again, I'd be sure to connect everything in an external case with the term switch and everything, and pay a bit closer attention to how each piece is interacting with the others. Incidentally, here's where my patchy experience will kick in: Example, my Quadra 700: the SCSI2SD has termination enabled. Can I still use external SCSI devices? My fleeting memory from using it in my IIsi was that external devices would not work. I know they're different Macs.
  3. jessenator

Quadra 700 fuzzy video

Hrmmm. The Quadra 700 had tantalum capacitors from the factory. Not saying there might not be a failure there, but they aren't the electrolytic kind, which leak over time. From what I've gathered, when tantalum caps go they GO and take a lot with them, similar to, but not quite like, a Maxell clock battery bomb. I would wonder though if it is a power issue or something else on the board— @VMSZealot have you tried removing the VRAM simms to see if the artefact persists? That might be a good, simple place to start. It has 512K soldered, so you should be able to get a display signal still, with the SIMMs removed. The only other shimmering experience I've had is on a IIsi (which incidentally uses the soldered RAM for VRAM), but that was somewhat cap-goo related. The other instance is the logic and analog boards on my SE/30 causing the screen to have issues. Since the arch of those two are very different from the Quadra 700, I would try the dedicated VRAM first, and then perhaps give your board a good visual inspection (any battery, or other misc spillage/goo) and perhaps give your board a good clean and rinse with 91%+ isopropanol before thouroughly drying. A power supply re-cap or replacement (ATX mod or mAcTX adapter) is definitely good due diligence with something nearly 30 years old. The board should be labeled, but here's a diagram of what RAM is what:
  4. So I'm asking this more as a maintenance type of question thread vs 'I have an emergency' kind of help query, but figured I'd try to get some answers as to why I've been having similar symptoms across a number of optical drive, and why they keep crapping out in the same ways. My drives are mostly non-Sony/Apple drives—Toshiba drives—all supported with FWB CD-ROM Toolkit drivers, and have at one point or another worked. I make a point of calling them out, as I've heard that Apple/Sony drives have issues, e.g. caps on the 150/300 e models etc. But if recaps are a necessity on these other drives, I won't shy away from that now I feel a bit more confident in SMD work. As far as condition, these drives are essentially lightly used or NOS drives, seeing limited use and have none of the dust cakes typical of the average vintage Mac/Clone. What is happening are these, usually in this order: Drives won't boot compatible media on the first or second tries (OEM or 1x burned), but will function somewhat normally once in the Finder Drives are unusually slow, intermittently slow (what I mean is these are 4x + speed drives and are acting slower than a boot floppy)—they kinda boot, but get halfway through the loading screen or finder load (not consistent when it hangs), and then just keeps going. I hear the drive seeking, or at least spinning and the head moving, kind of making a repetitive pattern of sounds, but nothing jarring, like a grinding noise, etc. Drives ultimately fail at loading media; refuse to mount I'm wary of attempting a lens clean, even with lint-free cotton and 91+% IPA, and have been using air in most cases. And I don't want to keep purchasing "working pull" specimens of drives if they're really going to meet the same fate. SO far, the 12x Toshiba (1997) I recently bought has been working fine, but then again, so was the 4x (1996) replacement I bought earlier last year, which is now on stage 2 of the failure path above. Are there general upkeep/maintenance items that one should attend to with optical drives of this vintage? I'm wondering what would cause these kinds of errors that isn't solved by an air-de-dusting.
  5. Now here's where my noobishness will truly shine. I tried using the interrupt/programmers button but I didn't get anything to display. Was I doing that correctly? Is there another way to work MacsBug?
  6. I'm wondering if there's a way to get a more precise level of information on random system/mouse freezes that don't coincide with a bomb/error message. I saw one of Netfreak's videos where they did that for Copland, using a Powerbook as the dump location for whatever would happen on the Copalnd-end machine. Is there a process laid out there that documents what a lay user would need in order to diagnose a seemingly error-less crash? E.g. with my Quadra 700, I was having some wiring issues with my fan power splitter, so while I wait for it to arrive I've been using a SCSI2SD (so the Molex can be solely dedicated to the fan), which may end up being the final destination for it. When I did the simple copy drive contents from the spinner and copied those to the SCSI2SD, the system would give me a strange error I'd never seen, something about an unresolved alias or something I wasn't able to get a 1:1 search result for on Google anyway. But thinking that wasn't a good idea anyway, I went back to a clean slate and put 7.1.1 on the SD card, just to weed that copy crap out of the equation. However, after the computer has been on a while even my fresh install will have freezes, and it's never the same operation (that I'm doing) or the same time. I've run the Apple Personal Diagnostic on loop (checking logic board and RAM) almost 10 times in a row with no ill effect. I'll go to restart the machine, and it hangs after loading the Finder. I'll hit the reset and it hangs at startup. I'll hit it again and it boots fine, until I go to move a window. I'll even start up from a FloppyEmu image (APD Emergency image) and it'll hang on boot. <-That's just one example series, so my assumption is that it's a hardware problem, not a software one, hence my desire to get a better understanding of what is triggering that error under the hood. In further detail, my 700 is overclocked to 33 MHz: a fully qualified MC68040RC40 CPU in the slot, and a 66.666 MHz clock oscillator in a socket. But up until now (swapping out the drive), I've had it on and operating for quite long periods of time with no ill effects that I've noticed. I have a fan mounted atop the heatsink pulling air through it for some bonus thermal management, even though the CPU can handle 40. But maybe it really is the OC, I don't know.
  7. jessenator

Macintosh SE/30 screen "shimmering" issue

I would also look into re-capping the analog board. I had a very similar issue to what you're describing in my own SE/30. Re-caps across the board solved that little irritation for me.
  8. jessenator

PowerPC overclocking and limitations

Well a little bit of an update, laterally. Since discovering a RAM-specific testing tool, I wanted to run it on this StarMax board overclock. When I was getting it up and going, I noticed that I had some odd system freezes, which I thought had been resolved due to me not using the funky IBM 64MB RAM that only registered as 32 MB per DIMM. I tried multiple configurations from what I had (minus the original config which is in the pristine , stock 4400) and even went so far as to buy new RAM for this second working unit. However, even the new RAM would freeze in a different manner than as I was experiencing during this recent bout and during initial testing—very odd. I swore that the 275 MHz setup would be completely stable full loaded and during operations, but looks like that one is out of reach as well. While doing the Apple Personal Diagnostic (on the RAM short test), I got 93% before a freeze and then only 17% before a freeze on restart. I swapped pins to bump it down to 250 MHz and it's looped almost 10 times now without a crash or freeze. I didn't note what I was using, so I don't recall if I had the full compliment or if I was running just a single chip, but I'm leaning on the full population, as my config of 7.6.1 uses 11 MB. Well, a bit of a bummer, but at least it's working. I only halfway feel stupid for buying new RAM, but at least it's more or less standard vs those weirdo IBM DIMMs I bought a while back.
  9. jessenator

Transplanting 9-inch CRTs - A Journey

Yes! since the pin header on the SCSI2SD is large enough (space-wise) to actually take whatever size connector, really. For my other 68k machines, I have only 2 still-working SCSI spinners, and while they're both Quantum, they're non-original(Apple), so the LED connectors don't fit either my IIci or Q700 connectors . They just sit there ...lifelessly unblinking I'm personally liking the amber phosphor quite a bit. Does it look Mac'ish? Not strictly speaking, no. But apart from liking it, I also like the invisible, anonymous schadenfreude I'm getting because of its existence
  10. jessenator

Thanks! yeah, I think I shouldn't have messed with the case, but there's some quality about the botched brite job that I don't mind Overdue, but some decent amber-screen shots (linked thumbnails) :
  11. jessenator

3D-Printed Objects

A couple of people asked about these specifically, in reference to my adventures in CRT swapping land, so I finally got them up on Thingiverse: trim pot adjustment tips. These are long enough that one could potentially use them freehand, but are also designed to fit into 4mm hexagonal toolkit driver handles. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4499563 FYI, on my analog board, most of the trim pots the flat blade worked fine, but the width coil adjustment needed the 2.5mm hex.
  12. jessenator

3D-Printed Objects

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4494947 Finished the flip-out foot for the Dekstop PCI Power Mac line. My 7200's ...let's just say I underestimated just how brittle these plastics can be. I thought I was being gentle, but apparently that wasn't gentle enough, so I mocked this up last weekend. Just curious, MarNo84, you're looking for just the plastic piece itself, right? I haven't seen anything (at least on the consumer level) that can do the 3D object printing and the screen printed text. I think the best one could hope for is a 3d print, with a clear printed label, similar to what Maceffects did for his SE/30 clear case purchasers— i.e. a clear label set in Apple Garamond. As far as making an STL. I could probably do it, but this is one of those pieces I'd need to have in-hand—a bit impractical in the current climate When I duplicate parts I constantly take measurements with my micrometer. I'm not saying all of this this to completely put the idea down, but just expose the reality, if you haven't already been thinking about that yourself. The pain points are really the curve/bevel on the bottom. Another is the shape—that gentle curve across the face of it— getting the resolution on that will be a tall order for the average consumer printer. I'd really need to have it in-hand to be able to take the subtle measurements and refer back to it, without having to have the back-and-forth of camera angles, etc. Finally, the color. Unless you don't mind white or a gray that doesn't quite match, it's going to be very tough, nigh impossible, to color match it.
  13. jessenator

Finally got around to installing the amber CRT tonight! My first snag was that the wires used on the Classic were (strangely) a thicker gauge of wire than the SE(/30)'s, so I had to take a different tack when soldering the longer wires to the spare SE neck board I bought: Thankfully the board is a simple, one sided (layered?) variety so I just went right onto the pads, vs through-hole Here's a view of the CRT in place and the full length of the new neck board connector: Did run into a tight, but not tugging fit with the ground wire. I would have spliced another wire, but I misplaced my heat shrink tubing, annoyingly. Cheesey StartupScreen, I know There is some distortion on the bottom (top) of the CRT that I wasn't able to correct with the yoke magnets (what I could reach anyway), but I'm pretty satisfied with it! I did have to adjust the rings quite a bit to get it right on center. Let's just say I'm thankful for the more modern controls of the other Macintosh monitors that don't require such manual operation.
  14. jessenator

Mac iisi monitor problem

Well it might boot system 6.0.7 all the way to the finder, but it uses part-to-all of that 1 MB for video. Another thing to try for no sound is check the contacts on the board for the speaker, they were notoriously terrible for the original LC as well, so they switched to a pin header for the LC II. You can usually clean them with a mechanical pencil eraser or some cotton swabs and alcohol. The white screen is a symptom of a larger problem, though. I'd check the traces on the board, front and back, to see if any of them are broken. So was it ever booting properly since you've had it?
  15. jessenator

Mac iisi monitor problem

Are you sure they're different values and not just different configurations? I.e. number of chips per SIMM? In the event they're actually different values, that would definitely pose a problem. Here's the IIsi' page from the memory guide: You do need to install all identical (value) SIMMs. You could try to pull the RAM and see what happens. It might not boot into the os all the way, but you could see if that solves the video issue. If it clears up, your ram is probably the culprit. Edit: i should also ask, has the board been recapped? Does it still chime?