RC14

• Content Count

• Last visited

Profile Information

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

1. RC14

Apple ][ Plus Woes

I have soldered the joint and it now appears to be solid (the joint no longer twists), but the computer still doesn't output a signal. Any other tips? I'm rather confused because it was working for the first day or so in my possession, so it seems natural to me that the video jack would have failed after I plugged it in a few times. I actually learned to solder specifically for this and I may have messed up, so attached is a photo of the connection - please excuse the dust! !
  2. RC14

Connecting a Newton to a Raspberry Pi

I'd be interested in seeing how that works!
  3. RC14

Performa 575 Issues

Firstly, I have no prior experience with these systems and couldn't find a manual (or really any information at all) online. That said, my 575 boots to a question mark. I've been trying to boot from a CD-RW in the CD-ROM drive, but that doesn't seem to work (and when I eject the CD, it's still in the same position as when I put it in). I'm assuming then that the CD-ROM drive is non-functional. How would I go about fixing that, and is the only other way to install an OS using a floppy disk? I found this link but have no real wish to write to 21 floppies (I'd much rather just fix the CD-ROM drive and boot off of that if possible). Also, what is the best OS to run? Thanks - I'm sure much of this is common knowledge, but I just for the life of me couldn't find anything!
  4. Apologies in advance if this is just rehashing common knowledge - I have done research but I'm honestly paranoid that I'll break the computer or that there's some info I've missed that is essential for working on older machines. A while ago I got an Apple ][ Plus which, despite being working before it was shipped, wasn't working upon arrival. I posted here, and some helpful people told me it was likely the video solder joint that had broken. Now, a few months later, I'm sheltering in place and bored, and have decided to finally get it working again - but I haven't ever soldered before. I'm going to get equipment and practice boards, but does anyone have any advice about equipment to buy (I have a soldering iron in mind, recommended by someone else on these forums, but I don't know what other equipment I need), soldering that video joint in particular, or even soldering in general?
  5. RC14

which macs need recap

Not what @TheMrKocour was asking, but what about the early macs (128k, 512k, Plus)? I've seen conflicting information - both that they need recaps and that they don't (the analogue board does but not the logic board maybe). Does anyone have a definitive say on that? I fail to see why they'd be different from the other, later macs.
  6. RC14

Price Check: Classic II

I have one - it's considered the second best compact mac after the SE/30 (it's the last in the lineage). Personally, I don't understand why it would be second best, but then again I have no experience with the SE/30. Was this what you were asking for (apologies if I misunderstood)?
  7. I also transfer files like this, but I write a blank floppy image to a disk with Balena Etcher, which I can then natively write to. I got a zip file of blank floppy images somewhere that I just unzip as needed for more . I've attached the zip just in case someone in the future is researching and finds this thread (I know the pain). blanks-1.0.0.zip
  8. I don’t have a IIc, but I’d love to subscribe to your newsletter! Where could I find that?
  9. RC14

Apple ][ Plus Woes

Thank you for your help!
  10. RC14

Apple ][ Plus Woes

It does beep and the light goes on, so it’s probably the video connector. How would I go about fixing it?
  11. I just got an Apple ][ Plus, but the monitor doesn't work - I need to hold the v-sync dial further than it actually goes in order to see a picture (Comrex video monitor). So I connected it to a projector and got it to show Apple ][, but nothing else. I also couldn't get the disk drive to work - it just showed that it was in use and nothing else. And then the computer died on me, and it no longer shows a picture with the projector (but it does beep and show a light - the projector just shows a no source found message). Having no experience whatsoever with these machines, I don't know what to do. Tips? Why would the computer be working one minute and then dead another? Is the monitor dial just broken and there's nothing I can do about it? I read somewhere that orienting the disk drive connector wrong can break it - what is the right way to orient it (I'm worrying that I broke it already)? And how would I boot into BASIC once I get it working again? Thank you for bothering to answer what are probably obvious questions!
  12. RC14

Is the Wiki dead?

If I can contribute in any small way, I'd be happy to - I do a fair bit of coding in my free time.
  13. This is likely a very dumb question, but I got a PowerMac G5 without a power cord and was wondering if I could use any power cord with it (I have a couple of generic power cords that fit). Is there anything special about the apple power cord?
  14. RC14

Value of Apple IIc?

Thanks, everyone! I've been offered $280, so I'll think about it a bit more.