PotatoFi

• Content Count

• Last visited

Profile Information

Recent Profile Visitors

1911 profile views
  1. PotatoFi

RaSCSI Development Thread

If the design gets to a point where it's fairly locked-down, I'd be happy to design a 3D-printed enclosure for it. I'll post the files when I'm done. I would just need a PCB and parts list. Here's my resume!
  2. PotatoFi

Corroded Chip

Wow, this is the only post I've ever seen on these forums of a machine being used in production. That is just awesome.
  3. PotatoFi

DON’T TALK TO ME OR MY SON EVER AGAIN

Challenge accepted. Of course, I’d have to borrow one to 3D model.
  4. PotatoFi

Corroded Chip

Yeah... and leaky capacitors certainly will cause problems. All machines of this age are due for new capacitors.
  5. PotatoFi

Possibly Awesome Haul Tomorrow

Hey @Unknown_K and @Juror22, unfortunately the entire machine has been claimed. Sorry about that!
  6. PotatoFi

Macintosh SE/30 Restoration

Me either, ha! Yeah, I would have too if I had a hot air station! Thanks! This project almost convinced me to look into a hot air station... but I decided that I could get it done with just an iron. Or could I? Read on... First, I decided to clean up the "junk" board for some practice. It will be great to keep around both for parts, and for reference. Next, on the good board, I went crazy with the flux paste. I gotta admit that this part took awhile, and was a bit scary. I had a hard time getting the desoldering alloy to evenly coat each side of the chip. At this point, I was pretty convinced that I had permanently destroyed my SE/30. Why did I mess with it? Would not having sound been that bad?! What was I thinking?! Eventually I removed it all and started from a clean slate, and the IC popped off a lot faster. Here's the supposedly bad ASC, removed. Next, I cleaned up the pads. I thought a couple of them were gone, but I scraped away at them for awhile and sure enough, there were pads! That could explain why the first ASC failed. I am pretty sure that there was continuity... pretty sure. I'll keep the old ASC around. Maybe it's still okay. Next, I tinned a couple of pads. In this photo I have only tinned one; I ended up removing that and tinning a couple of pads on another side that was easier to get to. I ran the iron over each of the pins to make sure it was clean. Next I set the IC in place, and flowed the two tinned pads. The IC settled down on the pads. Next I soldered a pin on the opposite corner, and double-checked that everything was straight. Then, I hit all of the pins with liquid flux, and started soldering the rest of the pins. I thought I could drag-solder everything, but I really struggled with bridges so eventually I just soldered every pin, one at a time. At this point, I was REALLY convinced that my SE/30 was dead for good. Totally hosed. After cleaning it with alcohol and hitting it with the air compressor, here's what it looked like: I reassembled it, flipped the power switch, and... There was a nice, clear chime! Woohoo! I am doubting the fix a bit - I booted from the ROM and fired up Sim City from a floppy disk. The sounds all work just fine but are pretty bad quality. I think that's just because they're just low-quality samples. Curiously my Bolo or Microsoft Flight Simulator sounds didn't work. I'll get System 7.5.5 booting next, and play some more sounds to confirm, but I am 90 percent sure that the sound issue is fixed. Thanks for identifying the problem, @techknight!
  7. PotatoFi

Great news! Despite his screen name, @EvilCapitalist has sent me a parts SE/30 board to scavenge an ASC from. Thank you very much, @EvilCapitalist! Let's have a look at the damage. Yep, Maxell bomb. How about the ASC? That's what we're after here. A bit of corrosion was present, but it looked salvageable to me. I decided to scrub down the whole board with some vinegar to try to stabilize things a bit. I was a bit too vigorous with the toothbrush though, and knocked an IC right off the board. I think this is a RAM muxer? After a rinse under tap water, and hitting it with the air compressor, it was time to desolder the ASC. I don't have a hot air station, so we'll have to use another method. First, a generous amount of paste flux. There's a lot of corrosion to burn through. Next, I heated up the pins with the iron, and fed in a generous amount of desoldering alloy. A brand name of this stuff is Chip Quik. It's basically solder, except the melting point is super super low, so it stays molten for a very long time. Here, you can see it in a molten state, even though I've put down the iron and grabbed my phone to take a photo! One lesson I did learn with this: you need to get the pins nice and warm before adding the desoldering alloy. If you don't, the alloy will just follow your iron around instead of sticking to the pins. After coating each side in desoldering alloy, I began raking my iron back and forth across all sides. I kept the iron moving pretty quick, rake-rake switch. Rake-rake switch. Rake-rake switch. After a few passes... pop! Suddenly, the IC moved off of the pads and was free to pick up with some tweezers! I used the iron to reheat the pins on the chip (super fast and easy) and the solder sucker to remove the excess from the pins. A quick scrub down in some Isopropyl alcohol: The board looks pretty good too! Here's what it looked like. After this is cleaned things up with some desoldering braid. Not that this board will ever work again... but it's great for practice. You may have noticed that I removed the caps earlier - I will certainly keep it around for parts, or for a reference board, so I wanted it to be stable for storage. Hopefully tomorrow, I will desolder the ASC from the good board, and solder down this new ASC. I sure hope it works!
  8. PotatoFi

Color Classic Restore

Congrats on the Color Classic! I think this is a moot point since you have a hot air station... but I now exclusively use the "twist and push" method to remove caps. On the ~6 boards I've done like this, I've only broken one pad off. But like I said, moot point for you... Looking forward to seeing how this one comes together. Would love to see lots of photos (with surrounding context) as I haven't actually seen a Color Classic in person since I was in kindergarten! I've been watching for one... it's the "unicorn" that I've been trying to track down to finish up my compact Mac collection!
  9. PotatoFi

While @switch998 said, "Don't worry about cleaning it", I couldn't help myself. This is the 6115CD after dishwasher detergent, scrubbing with a brush, a lot of Goo Gone, and some paper towel + baking soda scrubbing. The only thing I didn't do was bust out the flat razor to try to scrape away all of the crusty sticker residue that the Goo Gone didn't cut through. I figured I'd share, just for closure.
  10. PotatoFi

3D Printed SE/30 ROM Clips

Yeah, I've considered this! I do have some RAM slot clips as well. I'll post them soon (another thread). Acknowledged! I'll get a set shipped out for you shortly.
  11. PotatoFi

My new SE/30

Fantastic! Thank you!
  12. PotatoFi

Yes, absolutely. Yours for the cost of shipping. I'll scrub the top case down and take some good photos, so we can evaluate whether it is worth it to you or not. I'd be happy to ship the whole machine, or just the parts you need out of it.
  13. PotatoFi

My new SE/30

Congrats on getting an SE/30! Seeing alkaline batteries in there makes me cringe, a bit. I've seen far too many Alkaline batteries leak inside Game Boy consoles to trust them. If it were me, I think I'd remove those, get a proper 1/2 AA PRAM battery holder, and solder it in. Whether you actually want to install a battery is completely up to you. I have yet to hear of a modern PRAM battery blowing up, and if I plan to store a Mac for more than a few months, I pop the battery out. I question whether modern 1/2 AA batteries even have the right chemistry type to blow up, but that is probably best discussed in a separate thread. Side note: A PRAM battery eliminator application for these old Macs would be pretty cool... read the PRAM values, write them to a file on shutdown. Read them again on boot. Time would drift, but whatever.
  14. PotatoFi

The search is on. --- A few more developments! My wife bought me a Mac ROM-inator II! I wasn't happy with the paperclip or rubber band solutions, so after a handful of little prototypes, I came up with this! I also went ahead and boosted it to 128mb of RAM. Yes... it's silly. But it's done. Next, I'll be installing System 7.5.5 on it, and installing my Ethernet card. Until I can find a donor board to harvest an ASC from, that issue is going to have to go on the backburner.
  15. PotatoFi

3D-Printed Objects

I've created some 3D printed "ROM Clips" that hold a Mac ROM-inator II in place on the SE/30. More info (and discussion) here: