elemenoh

• Content Count

• Last visited

Profile Information

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

1. Sorry I hadn't been paying attention to the thread. It's great to see additional feedback! I updated the master, but wasn't sure how to deal with merging your fork. Please PM me and we can work on details. I definitely do not want to hold up progress, so let me know what you think would be best to keep things up to date without it getting chaotic.
  2. The GND connections have been fixed, but would need more info to help with the second issue. I just copied what I saw in the original drawings. If you can provide more detail and another member can help to validate that it's correct, I'm happy to integrate it.
  3. Yeah it has a heat sink. I just took it off to try to determine the processor model. I did try setting the switches to 1, 2, 4, 6, 7 - 9 ,1 2 but got the same result. I hope the processor isn't toast.
  4. @ttbthanks for catching those issues. I've corrected them all and updated them on GitHub. I'm new to GitHub so hopefully I updated and merged correctly. Please let me know if you see other issues. https://github.com/mishimasensei/macse30mlb BTW, I'm not surprised about the IOR/IDR thing. The scans were hard to read and I'm not familiar enough with the components to know which pin should have which label. I tried looking up data sheets but found that the schematic drawings often used differing labels for the pins.
  5. The recap on this LC went OK (no lifted pads), but video is distorted. The area around all the caps was thoroughly scrubbed with IPA several times. I also removed and cleaned underneath the ICs near the cluster of caps near the audio I/O. Removing the extra VRAM/DRAM doesn't change the symptom. The distortion will change in pattern a bit when switching between color modes and B/W. I haven't noticed any obviously broken traces, but also haven't looked super closely yet. Is there any area of the board that should be focused on to hunt the issue down?
  6. Found more info. I lifted up the foam around the processor and found it's a "PPC750L-EB0A466". I'm assuming that means it's a G3 466MHz processor. If that's the case the dip switches on the card seem very wrong. Pic below of the current settings and a table of settings from the manual. It looks like they should be set to 1, 2, 4, 6, 7 - 9 ,1 2. I'll try that out tomorrow, but if anyone here has other advice, please let me know.
  7. After a little digging the card seems to be their "Universal adapter for installing Standard Power Macintosh G3 ZIF upgrades into PCI PowerMacs" If the processor itself is toast I guess it's just a matter of finding another G3 processor to toss into the ZIF socket?
  8. I have a 9600 with an XLR8 MACh Speed processor card. It's unclear what speed or generation chip is installed. The Mac gets power (LED lights) but no chime. After a few minutes the processor card gets extremely hot. 5v/12v rails are okay. I don't have another card handy to swap test. Is this likely to be an issue with the card, the processor itself or something else? The markings on the card are pretty generic. If you know which processor/speed this is please let me know. Thanks!
  9. elemenoh

Color Classic floppy needs a rebuild- gears?

@mraroid FWIW, the gears on the CC drives I serviced were fine and they were able to be cleaned and greased like other older SuperDrives without issue. It would be nice to get a replacement gear design for that revision of the drive for the future though.
  10. elemenoh

Is there a guide to servicing manual-inject drives somewhere?
  11. elemenoh

I have a bunch of gears from shpaeways which work great in all the older drives. I recently serviced several color classic drives and found that they do not fit! The color classic gear hole/shaft is a bit smaller and has a different number of teeth so the replacement gear just wobbles around and doesn't mate correctly. The same replacement gear works fine in all of the older drives. Anyone know if there's a shapeways file for this other size?
  12. elemenoh

Question mark over checkerboard pattern on SE

This is a regular SE board in a SE/30 case. Yes it works fine with the jumper off and 4MB RAM installed. It doesn't work with the jumper on and 2.5MB RAM installed.
  13. elemenoh

When to give up on a 1.44MB floppy drive

Update on the problem drive: First, I'm a dummy and was using a 1.44MB "Superdrive" on an older SE MLB that didn't support it. So at best I'd have been able to only format as double density. I switched out to an SE/30 MLB for testing. I was originally testing with a disk that had worked fine recently. I tried another disk and after some more adjustment of the track 0 sensor it did successfully format. After tweaking the stator motor it started reading other disks okay. While the test rig was set up, I tried a couple other problem drives that I previously gave up on. Both started working after adjusting the track 0 and sensor motor as well. Dead Mac Scrolls recommends adjusting the track 0 sensor until you can get a disk to format, and then the stator motor until it reads other known-good disks. This didn't work in my case. No matter how much the stator motor was adjusted, the drive wouldn't read known-good disks even if it could format them OK. What did work was adjusting the track 0 sensor until the 'minor repairs' dialog would display for known-good disks, and then fine tune the stator motor. With that method I was able to get each drive dialed in within maybe 5-10 minutes. I hope this helps anyone else in a similar situation. Also, I burned a drive in the past the same way @OsvaL describes. Since then, when testing, I always put them in their bracket (without screws) to avoid shorts or rubbing stuff against the motor.