s_pupp

• Content Count

• Last visited

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

1. I’ve never been able to get my Rocket to work in 32 bit mode. Thanks for the info; I’ll try reducing RAM on the IIfx I have it installed in.
  2. I am wondering where people obtain parts for repairing PowerBooks. My sources have been: 1. eBay (of course) - a mixed bag, but tonyzz has been reliable consistently. 2. www.PowerBookmedic.com - running low on supplies. I‘ve had mixed results from them, but have found customer service to respond quickly and satisfactorily to problems. I recently ordered their last two blowers for the 867MHz/1GHz TiBook. One of the items was a fan for the 800MHz TiBook. Mere hours after contacting them about it, they had refunded half the order and shipping costs. 3. www.DVwarehouse.com - sent hinge covers missing a lot of paint described as “like new;” similarly great customer service as above. 4. www.impactcomputers.com - mixed results - an lcd in like-new condition contained a couple faint white spots. I realized this after installing it into a case, so cannot assess customer service. Some items listed as being in stock are not. Other purchases have been great, though. 5. www.usedmac.com - I placed an order for Pismo bare LCD, TiBook bare lcd, and TiBook case, They sent an entire Pismo display assembly (in excellent condition), an entire TiBook display assembly in unusable condition (I harvested the hinges and bezel, but had to trash the rest), and a TiBook case in excellent condition. Are there any other sources out there? What have your experiences been?
  3. It was bit of a pain to do, and involved the almost total disassembly of the Powerbook. ifixit.com is very helpful for this. I stuck a flat metal tool under the speaker and gently pushed until the speaker was free. I then rubbed the adhesive off the speaker, and applied 3M 300LSE transfer tape to adhere the speaker to its new speaker grille.
  4. In my case, it turned out that the known good replacement speaker was, in fact, also bad; perhaps a casualty of the extraction from its previous case top.
  5. I could use some advice regarding what steps to take in the following problem: I have a TiBook G4 1GHz board in a banged-up case that I want to put into a new case (sold as new by Sunshine Express on eBay). In the old case, both audio channels work. In the new case, only the left channel works; there is no sound at all out of the right channel. Two other logic boards do the same thing in this new case. Steps taken: Step 1: Replaced both speakers with known working ones (the logic board connects to the left speaker which then sends a signal to the right, so a problem with the connector on the left speaker could affect the right) Step 2: Replaced the wire connecting the right speaker to the left speaker with a known working one (although the old one tested OK with my multimeter) So: It's not the logic board, not the speakers, not the wire connecting the speakers...I'm out of ideas. With there being no problem at all with all the same equipment in the old case, I'm stuck with the possibility that the case is haunted, and just *&*#ing with me. I could use a rational mind to convince me otherwise.
  6. Two sets of four for me too, please!
  7. Posting a year after the prior post for the sake of posterity: Operation Headgap sells feet for PowerMacs of the 7200/7300/7500/7600/8600/9600/first generation G3 variety. They are black, and have been cut from a piece of rubber. The ones I received were somewhat irregularly shaped, and needed further trimming. If you don't want to do the research or work yourself, it's one way to go.
  8. s_pupp

Grayscale for Turbo 040

I agree. However, since I am the first person to respond in 13 years, I doubt it will come about.
  9. Try a different formatting software. In experiments back in 2012 with as many formatters as I could find, I had the best luck formatting CF, SD, and PCMCIA cards with FWB Hard Disk Toolkit version 2.02. I downloaded it from the Daystar website days before the website disappeared, but later found the website on web.archive.org. Unfortunately, my work on 68k Macs has been on hold since 2012. If I can find my notes from back then, I’ll update this post with an actual website.
  10. s_pupp

SE/30 socketed - Which processors?

Be very careful if you try this. I ruined a beautiful SE/30 board attempting this. I ended up pulling out about a dozen vias.
  11. If you are willing to replacing only the LCD part of the screen, a replacement LCD is available at www.impactcomputers.com. I bought a refurbished 14” LCD (model LT141X2-124) for a total of $27 including shipping. The screen is bright, but there is a slightly yellow discoloration of the bottom 1/2 inch - just a bit paler a discoloration than the screen it replaced (and just a bit disappointing; I was hoping for a perfect screen). The fix isn’t difficult - just remove the rubber stops and the round stickers from around the screen, gently pry off the back, unscrew four screws holding the screen in place, unplug the screen’s data and inverter cables, then put the new screen in place and reconnect/reassemble. No need to disassemble the computer or remove the entire screen assembly from the computer.
  12. s_pupp

Auto inject floppy lubrication

I'm very glad to read this post - through sheer coincidence, this is the stuff I've been using for the past couple years. It is a plastic-safe lubricant. I've been very pleased with it.
  13. Where can one buy replacement eject gear, and what are the specifications of these gears?
  14. s_pupp

Se/30 have to bang the box to get a screen

It's frequently the flyback transformer solder joints on the analog board. I'd start with these first.
  15. s_pupp

Fast 'n Dumb question about SE/30

If you do decide to desolder the cpu and replace it with a socket, be very careful when you pull up the cpu chip. Despite careful use of a Hakko desoldering tool, I pulled up a number of vias when I extracted the cpu, destroying a perfectly good logic board.