1 Follower

About AichEss

• Birthday August 7

Profile Information

Recent Profile Visitors

418 profile views
  1. AichEss

Bondi Clamshell!

With an active Wi-Fi available just keep the 'Book with the Date and Time Control Panel (OS 9 nomenclature) set to use the Time Server. You get an almost immediate correct clock set when you start up.
  2. AichEss

Bondi Clamshell!

Just right. That has BOTH tips. It would be good for the G3 & G4 'Books. Good luck.
  3. AichEss

Bondi Clamshell!

The pic on the right top has the two PowerBook tips. The pic on the left bottom is from eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kensington-Univ-AC-CAR-AIR-Adapter-APPLE-MAC-33079-power-charger-case-F-Ship/254210700745?hash=item3b302375c9:g:OGkAAOSwgspZubzm . I don't know anything about the seller
  4. AichEss

Bondi Clamshell!

The "this" isn't the right one - the DC end is the smaller one for the G4 'Books. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kensington-Univ-AC-CAR-AIR-Adapter-APPLE-MAC-33079-power-charger-case-F-Ship/254210700745?hash=item3b302375c9:g:OGkAAOSwgspZubzm has the correct DC connector. It seems that most of the eBay listings in this category are by (sorry) yard sale/junk collectors that don't have a clue about what they list. If you have a bit of time and patience new, unopened, complete packages pop up pretty often. That way you will know what you are getting. Don't fall for this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Kensington-Notebook-Power-Universal-AC-Car-Air-Adapter-for-APPLE-33057/392755809348?hash=item5b72120c44:g:itgAAOSwp2xej2UN It has been listed like forever and does NOT have AC capability. Let me try to do this right. These adapters come with the AC-to-DC converter and a whole lot of interchangeable DC tips for the different connections. The listers aren't knowledgeable or particular about whether or not the tip you need is in the package.
  5. AichEss

Bondi Clamshell!

I've given up on trying to find a reasonably priced yoyo adapter and don't really trust the Asian generics. Kensington had a replacement at one time. Try model number K33079 on the Bay. AichEss
  6. AichEss

Apple IIgs Bodge Wires Normal?

FWIW I have a ROM1 board that has exactly the same mods and it checks out 100% good with any of the IIGS diagnostics I have. Do you have an Apple Diagnostics 4.x disk to home in a bit on the problem area? I'm going to guess that the 607-1073-B is the modded revision. AichEss
  7. AichEss

Identify This Apple II Card?

THANK YOU NJRoadfan. I had googled "Sequential Systems" and got many, many pages of logic, circuit design and other non-helpful stuff. I didn't go all the way thru' the search results (88,800,000 hits) and might not even have recognized those pages if they came up. AichEss
  8. This card came to me in a IIe. It was in Slot 4 if that's any help. Thanks, AichEss
  9. A different mSATA to IDE adapter should be a first choice. I've had good results from the generic Asian-sourced adapters on the Bay. And they are jumperless. Good luck. AichEss
  10. AichEss

A few random Newton questions

For your Item 1: In your download and moving around process your Mac changed the .pkg extension from the Newton type to that used by OS X. See the first pic Here’s my procedure to undo this on a PowerBook G3 with MacOS 10.4.11 1. Do a "Get Info" on the downloaded pkg file - The second pic 2. Change the “open with” box from Installer to Package Inspector - The third pic 3. When you make the change the file automatically becomes a Newton .pkg file - The fourth pic What I do not remember is how the computer knew about Package Inspector (or the other Newton-related applications) shown in step 2. All I can come up with is that they were on the USB drive I used to transfer the Mac pkg file to the PowerBook and the computer found them there.
  11. AichEss

web browser

Here is Frank's text-only website http://www.pda-soft.de/textonly.html If you, like me, have trouble with this page your browser install needs tweaking. Please let me know what you do/did to make it work. AichEss
  12. AichEss

PB 3400c Startup Issue - It Doesn't

Thanks papichulo and AlpineRaven The PRAM battery is the first thing out of a 3400. On this one I don't see any obvious signs of leakage. Most often the PRAM leak hits at least the video connector on the logic board but the joinings (whatever you call them) are nice and shiny and getting the backlight encourages me to look for something else. I have the carcasses of several 3400s which are now lacking the logic board (recycled). It seems that PRAM leakage can affect most any function of the computer with the weirdest results. I'd basically given up on the project until you two brought it up again so let me try something out. I only have a basic notion of the mechanics of the startup sequence from what you can see and hear in a normal startup: chime, RAM check (beeps/no beeps), IDE activated (HDD/CD motion noises), video activated (backlight), Happy Mac appears, HDD/CD read sounds, and away it goes. It seems here that something doesn't happen between the step where the video is activated and the arrival of Happy Mac and I wonder if there could be a ROM chip issue. That the nvram reset (command-option-P-R keys at startup) doesn't work (no restart) also points my thinking in that direction. And here I am in way over my head; I don't even know which is the ROM chip. Does this sound at all logical? Thanks again, AichEss
  13. AichEss

web browser

Steve Weyer released Newt's Cape as freeware a couple of years ago. It is supposed to be the best Newton browser. You can get it here https://communicrossings.com/html/newton/regnewtscape.htm
  14. AichEss

PB 3400c Startup Issue - It Doesn't

Thanks cc I've switched HDs, keyboards, RAM modules, displays, power unit ... tried about every key combination I can hold down at the same time searched "the literature" (aka Google) for guidance all to no avail Incidentally, I miswrote in the original posting - the PRAM Zap does not work at all. Holding the 4 keys down does not cause the startup recycle as it should so whatever is messed up is apparently before the nvram loads. Still a NF PowerBook, still puzzled.
  15. As I continue to unpack a 3400c/Kanga stash stuff comes up that I don’t remember from when it all was put away. Comes now a 3400c with a startup issue. It chimes, the HD spins up, it takes some time to check the RAM and the LCD backlight comes on - and that’s it. No Happy Mac, no HD reading sounds, nothing else. When I do the startup with a CD in the drive, the same routine; chime, the CD spins up and the activity light sometimes flickers early (as in to find if the drive is occupied) but no Happy Mac and not the first reading sound. There are no beeps during the startup sequence. The 4-key PRAM Zap works as it should but doesn't make any difference, the cursor moves with the trackpad just fine, holding down the power key doesn’t produce a shutdown. Are there any tricks to reestablish the startup sequence so it will go all the way? Thanks