tokyoracer

• Content Count

• Last visited

Profile Information

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

1. tokyoracer

How many Mac's saved

Here's what I have so far Mac-wise: • Plus • SE/30 • Classic II • Colo(u)r Classic • IIci • IIsi (2 for parts 1 working) • IIvx • Quadra 650 • Quadra 840AV • LC • Performa 460 • Performa 475 • Performa 630 (DOS Compatible) • PowerMac 6100/66 • PowerMac 7600/132 • PowerMac G3 Beige • PowerBook 145B • PowerBook 165 • PowerBook 180c • PowerBook 520c (x2) • PowerBook Duo 230 • Mac Pro 3,1 (too new?) Past machines owned that I can remember (most in disrepair): • Early Mac Plus • Mac SE • Mac II • Mac IIcx • LC II • LC III • Centris 650 • PowerMac 7100/66 • PowerMac 7200/##
  2. My Plus is immaculate, so a box for that would be a dream, but probably way out of my price range.
  3. tokyoracer

Macintosh II Video Cards - expansion ram?

Depends which video card you have. If you got the type that uses SIMM style V-RAM then yes they exist and are often sold on eBay for not very much if you ignore the "lol price" sellers. The 512K flavour which carry a bit of a premium compared to the 256K's. They're probably the easiest and most cost-effective cards. In my experience, probably the speediest too in terms of performance. The ones that rely on DIP chips are probably not so easy. The chips may still exist new if you can find out what the card is compatible with, but would likely be a bit of a minefield finding out unless someone here has experience or documentation. I wouldn't know where I'd start looking as I sold off all my official Apple NuBus video cards, and only one of them was the DIP type.
  4. tokyoracer

Goofy Line on PowerBook 180c Display

Agreed. Liberal use of some tin foil to reflect heat might be worth your time. Better yet, if you can get hold of a sheet silicone that's heat resistant (like them futuristic oven gloves).
  5. tokyoracer

Goofy Line on PowerBook 180c Display

If it means anything, pretty much all my PowerBooks have this artifacting both colour and B&W (apart from my PPC 500). I would assume this is almost certainly a cap issue as opposed to a cable issue. One would imagine the lines would be fixed on the screen if the cabling was damaged. But please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that assumption.
  6. tokyoracer

PowerBook 190 not powering on after reassembly.

Even though it has the I/O power symbol? Terrible choice of logo to use for a reset switch if that is true. It's pretty secure. If it was lose, the LED probably wouldn't be active. Also the laptop is immaculate and has barely any signs of use so I doubt wear and tear is at play here.
  7. tokyoracer

PowerBook 190 not powering on after reassembly.

Pretty certain it's a 'hard' power switch. (Picture of a PB 5300 but basically the same thing).
  8. My word, old laptops can be an absolute pain in the ass. I fired up the lowly 190 today (yes the one everyone seems to hate) only to find the trackpad stopped working (buttons were fine). Figured I'd check the connections, clean them and reseat them, then hope and pray the thing would work again. Well what I got was way worse, nothing. Well almost nothing. The green led lights up when the AC adapter is plugged in but that's about it. The light goes out if you press the power button from behind but goes immediately back on. Soft power from the keyboard does nothing though. Anyone got any ideas what might be wrong here? Maybe I missed something stupid. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  9. For the price of a cheap meal at a fast food joint, it really wouldn't hurt and offers piece of mind. I have one on my Perfoma 475 and although it doesn't cover the entire surface area, it definitely helps somewhat. Doesn't need to be anything fancy, just something low profile obviously, but do spend some money on decent thermal adhesive.
  10. Somewhere I have a IIci cache card that you're welcome to have for cheap. Should speed up the machine noticeably. I'm based in the UK too. Sadly I have no other spares as I gave the bits away a few years ago.
  11. tokyoracer

mAcTX - ATX to Classic Macs

I'm stoked about a possibility of a 630 series PSU solutions. Already had 3 of them buggers blow in quick succession. It's also one of my very favourite 68K models too being mine is the DOS version with all the AV/networking gear. Oh and IDE, which saves a lot of headaches.
  12. tokyoracer

68040 Insertion Force

It it works, leave it well alone. In my experience, no it shouldn't take that much force. If a bunch of pins are misaligned and causing friction, perhaps. Sometimes they have a slight gap between the socket and ceramic but it really depends on the machine and what socket they installed from factory. But it should definitely be level unless you're unlucky and got a "Friday night job".
  13. tokyoracer

PowerBook external SCSI CD not working.

Well it had a jumper on "Term Power" on the 300e. Tried removing it and still the same outcome. Tried both passive and active terminators, various SCSI ID's and on different PowerBooks. All same old. I can understand in your case not working on XT's, that's a completely different kind of beast, but one would think that if it works on desktops should work on PowerBook's since they speak the same language logically. Also found and tried using my external SCSI HD. As remembered, it booted and saw that just fine.
  14. tokyoracer

RaSCSI Development Thread

Finally, an excuse to use a Pi. Price permitting, please do consider me officially interested in a populated board!
  15. tokyoracer

PowerBook external SCSI CD not working.

Well there is only one cable going from the CD to the laptop which is a 50-25 pin Apple branded cable and it's probably about 20-30 CM long. That is in turn being converted from a 25-pin to an HDI connector. I wouldn't know for certain how they are jumpered without opening them up, but since the drives work fine on my desktop machines, shouldn't it also be plug-n-play on the laptops? I have used an active terminator on both drives for certain (has an LED on it too). I have one other which is just housed in a metal shell with no text on it (assumed passive). Both seem to have the same outcomes on both drives.