Tempest

• Content Count

• Last visited

1 Follower

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

1. Tempest

Mac Plus or Mac SE?

Ah ok. For some reason I was trying to push it in, not pull it out. Not my brightest moment...
  2. Tempest

Mac Plus or Mac SE?

BTW how on earth are you supposed to get those black 'rivet' things that hold the cardboard on back in?
  3. Tempest

Mac Plus or Mac SE?

I just redid the flyback and the two connectors. It seems ok now, but we'll see what happens when I leave it off overnight and then turn it on.
  4. Tempest

Mac Plus or Mac SE?

Yes.
  5. Tempest

Mac Plus or Mac SE?

Looks like my repair job on the analog board wasn't thorough enough. I'm still getting occasional screen dimming/flickering issues. Is there a picture that shows the most problematic solder points that should be inspected? I did the connector areas but there must be something else.
  6. Tempest

Mac Plus or Mac SE?

Turns out my friend has a spare keyboard and mouse that he's going to let me have. Given what everyone has said, I'll probably keep the SE out and keep the Plus as a spare. My current spare is a Classic that even after recapping has an issue where the top right corner flickers and 'wobbles'. I think a bad battery may have caused some damage years before I got it. I should see if I can find a better board for it some day as the rest of the unit is good.
  7. Tempest

Mac Plus or Mac SE?

I have a SCSI2SD as well but I have it in an external enclosure so I can swap it between my Macs. I keep thinking I should put it inside the SE, but it's a pain to get out if I ever need to update the firmware or take the card out. Plus the enclosure raises the height of the screen to a better level for me (I'm kind of tall).
  8. Tempest

Mac Plus or Mac SE?

Yeah that's what I figured. So other than the look there really isn't any advantage. I might just get that keyboard and keep it as a backup Mac just in case. Then again after all the repairs I had to do on the Plus there's no guarantee that it won't die on me.
  9. Tempest

Mac Plus or Mac SE?

I have a perfectly good working Macintosh SE that I use as my compact Mac (mostly for gaming), but this week I was given a free Macintosh Plus. The Mac Plus had issues that I fixed (resoldered the analog board, replaced the disk drive, replaced bad memory), and now it's up and running, but it does need a keyboard (thankfully I can use my IIe mouse with it). Unfortunately Mac Plus keyboards are kind of pricey ($100 seems to be the going rate), and I'm wondering it it's worth dropping that kind of money on a free Mac when I have a nice SE sitting right here. I'm inclined to do it because I've always liked the 'classic' look of the Plus over the updated SE, but I'm working if there are any major disadvantages when using the Plus. Like I said, I use my compact Mac for gaming so that's what I'm mostly concerned with. As far as I can tell the only advantage the Plus has is that it's quieter as it doesn't have a fan. Of course that may actually be a liability as I hear they tend to overheat, especially when you have the full 4MB of RAM in them. But my game room is in a cold basement so maybe that won't be an issue? The Plus also has a slightly different keyboard layout (arrow keys mostly), and I'm not sure if any early games take advantage of that or not. Were there any games that would only play on an early Mac like the Plus and not an SE? Usually it's the OS that makes the difference, but maybe there were hardware dependencies?
  10. Tempest

Original Battery in my Mac SE

I'm not sure actually. It's a mid-range SE so it's not too early and it's before the Super Drive was added later on. When I crack it open again I'll have to see.
  11. Tempest

Original Battery in my Mac SE

After opening up my Mac SE I noticed that it still has the original soldered in battery in it. Amazingly the battery still appears to work as the time and date settings are stored properly. Eventually I know I'll have to replace it, but if it's not leaking is it safe to leave it in until it stops working (I assume it won't leak until after it stops working)? Also, is there an easy to install battery replacement for the soldered battery or should I just solder another one in?
  12. Sigh, looks like I'm not the only one with MacCaps issues. I dropped off my Mac back in June and after several delays he said he was going to work on it but then he said he had a flood in his office when the ceiling collapsed and that my Mac had been sitting in water for a bit. I had asked him if there was any damage to it and he told me he didn't know but he'd look at it when he opened it up to be recapped. Then he stopped responding to emails. I'm kind of surprised at all of this because last time I used him he was really fast and even let me drop it off at his house to save shipping cost. But now I'm out money and my beloved Mac Classic. I hope he comes through still, but I've seen this sort of thing before on other forums and it never ends well.
  13. Tempest

Mac Classic Video Issue

Anyone heard from MacCaps? I gave him my Mac back in June to recap and after several delays he said he was going to get to it but then stopped responding to emails. Did something happen to him?
  14. Tempest

iMac G3 and DVDs

I found Tiger on CD so I'm just going to use those. I actually do own a copy on DVD so I think I'm ok.
  15. Tempest

iMac G3 and DVDs

I have a PowerBook G4 that has Firewire. I guess I'd need to find a FireWire cable. Would a usb dvd drive work on the iMac? I think I have one of those somewhere.