Garrett

• Content Count

• Last visited

Everything posted by Garrett

1. Garrett

Garrett's Finds

Is there a good place to purchase blank 800k/Double Density disks? I went ahead and ordered the 6.0.8 system boot floppy, but just realized all my software is on High Density disks that will only work in my Classic. All of the ones on eBay I could find had the system software already installed. Obviously, it's not a huge problem because I plan to get the FloppyEmu. But I think it would be nice to have at least some software on floppies, and have some blank floppies as backups.
  2. Garrett

Garrett's Finds

Recently in a couple posts I found a Macintosh SE on my local Facebook Marketplace. I wasn't going to go for it since I'm already sinking a bit of money into my (superior) 1991 Macintosh Classic, but I wanted to see it go to a good home instead of a landfill or electronics recycler. Last night I ended up shooting the seller a (honestly low-ball) offer to see if she'd bite. This morning she responded. Tonight, a 1988 Macintosh SE followed me home. For $45, I wouldn't say I underpaid for this machine - but it did come with some accessories. First, a carrying case - which I've been thinking about a lot lately. I wanted one to tote my Macintosh Classic around when I get it operational. The SE also came with the original ADB Extended keyboard and original ADB "Cybertruck" mouse. Which is great, because the peripherals I have for my Classic are much later. (The ADB Extended keyboard, if I'm not mistaken, has mechanical key switches as opposed to the membrane used in my Apple Design Keyboard.) Also came with cords (two power cords) and a Cal Poly mousepad. (Strange considering I'm in Missouri.) However, they're not in the greatest shape. They were obviously in the home of a smoker, because the cigarette smoke/nicotine smell is pungent if you're close with the machine or bag/accessories. The computer, keyboard and mouse are all extremely yellow. The computer itself only has two floppy drives - no hard drive. My Classic is a vastly superior machine, but once again I just didn't want to see it go to waste. The bag itself is extremely dirty and could use a good cleaning. Computer also needs a good cleaning to remove writing on it. It does work and the CRT appears to be bright, and can't see much burn-in. I don't have a system floppy (or a FloppyEmu) to boot it.
  3. Garrett

Garrett's Finds

I thought macOS dropped support from writing to floppies way back before APFS. I guess to write it I would need to transfer the file to my Macintosh Classic, then copy it over to a 800k disk. But it sounds like 800k disks can be quite rare. I went ahead and purchased a 6.0.8 boot floppy for the SE on eBay. Which is actually one version newer than what's on my Classic - which is 6.0.7. I've thought about this but these are the only two vintage Macs I have at this point, and I plan on getting a FloppyEmu at some point in the (hopefully near) future. With that said, I think there's a serial cable included in the bag that I could possibly connect between my Classic and SE. I'm not sure what I'm going to use the SE for yet. I know I want to use the Classic for some word processing and playing vintage games, but I've been scratching my head thinking of a purpose for the SE. (I was hoping my next vintage Mac would be a modular Mac of some form, like a LC or II/Quadra, so I can play around with System 7 and a color display.) I'm thinking about possibly using the SE as the one I can tote around, and keep the Classic here.
  4. Garrett

Garrett's Finds

I have not lubricated or cleaned the floppy drives on both machines, though I'd like to do it. Both drives in the SE seem to work really well (I believe the seller said the machine sat in storage for 10+ years) and the drive on the Classic also seems to work well. How do you clean/lubricate the drives? If it's okay, could I PM my address to you? I don't really mind if the boot material is original or not, but I'd really like to get the SE booted into an operating system like System 6. I can cover the cost of postage, although I don't think it'd be that much considering it'd likely just be a floppy. Kinda sad/annoyed that macOS doesn't support writing to floppies. AFAIK, Windows still supports it but I've heard Windows can "corrupt" the files or something along that line. Also, many files from Macintosh Garden are archived in StuffIt packages, which I expand on my MBP. Oh well... I plan to get a FloppyEmu at some point in the future, which will simplify things a bit and allow me to easily transfer files between my modern Mac and these old Macs. I don't have a USB floppy drive or any blank diskettes anyways. As for the display, yes. Despite being in relatively poor cosmetic condition, the display on the SE seems to be in really good condition. It needs a good cleaning, as with the rest of the computer. But it's bright and I can't see any burn-in.
  5. Garrett

Garrett's Finds

I'll clip out the battery next time I have it apart. That speaker connector really threw me. I think I'm going to leave the battery out of the SE, since it's probably not going to be used as much, and it doesn't have the brightness settings in software. (Which is nice.) Does anyone have a system software boot disk that I can use for this machine? I don't have a floppy drive (or 800k floppies, either) and it didn't come with any floppies. (Strangely, it did come with the two yellow floppy drive protector inserts and the original mouse pad.) I plan on picking up a FloppyEmu in the future for the Classic and the SE, but that probably won't be for another couple months. I know you can still buy 1.44 MB "high-density" floppies, but is there anywhere you can still purchase 800k floppies for a reasonable price? If my thinking is correct, I can still write to 800k floppies using the SuperDrive in the Classic.
  6. Garrett

Memory expansion on Macintosh Classic

Did you make sure the jumper was configured properly? There's a jumper for selecting whether additional SIMMs are installed or not on the expansion board.
  7. Garrett

Garrett's Finds

I actually made a similar meme back on Twitter after the Cybertruck announcement. Anyways, after getting back home I removed the logic board from the SE to look at the battery. It has a Varta battery that appears to be in decent condition, but I can't remove it since it is soldered on. Which is somewhat scary because I don't have a soldering iron (or skills) and this computer probably isn't going to be recapped for a while, since my 1991 Classic is currently being recapped. This is my first time working on a compact Mac other than my Classic, and the logic board is a royal pain to reinstall. That speaker connector had me for a little while, and unfortunately I bent the pins when removing the logic board. (I didn't know it was a thing.) I was able to bend the pins back and everything seems to be working fine since. I wish I had a system boot disk so I can get it working. I plan on getting a FloppyEmu in the (hopefully not so distant) future for my Classic, so I may be able to either use the FloppyEmu on the SE or create a floppy for booting so I don't need to bring the FloppyEmu with me. I'm not sure if the SE will get used a lot - I was intending on not having any more computers (esp. compact Macs) until this all happened, and I was planning on using the Classic for word processing and gaming. (Classic has a 40MB hard drive with Word 4.0, Excel, MacWrite, MacPaint and a couple games already installed.)
  8. Garrett

Beyond repair?

I have no experience with fixing boards, but it looks better than some others I've seen online. The video ROM, crystal, capacitor and ROM card (especially the connector) looks toast, though. As a side note, it seems like every 1 out of 2 (or 3) SE/30s I've seen has an exploded battery inside. It seems like it's not as prevalent as an issue with other models. Maybe the Classic/Classic II is a close follower, but still.
  9. Garrett

Removing CRT Neck Board Glue

I got the analog board removed from the computer. I tried the alcohol method, and it seemed to work. I was able to get the neck board removed without any problems. The real pain was actually the anode cap on the side of the CRT. It took a good 10-15 minutes for me to get it removed. I hope it goes back in much simpler. Here's more: Thanks to everyone for your input. It is greatly appreciated. And thanks Eric for that video.
  10. Garrett

Strange question today... I found someone who can recap my Classic's analog board. I noticed there is a little bit of hot glue keeping the neck board connected to the CRT base. They suggested I could use some rubbing alcohol to dissolve the hot glue, so I don't have to worry about using a box cutting knife to cut through the glue. Does this work well? Could it damage anything? I'm assuming I just take a cotton swab or Q-tip and douse it in the rubbing alcohol, then rub it on the glue? When removing the neck board, should it just pull on off?
  11. Garrett

Power Supply takes a while to reach full output voltage

I read something on one of the FB groups about a diode (specifically DP6) going bad, which can cause issues you're noticing. It's a MB4 1045 S. Perhaps that diode has gone bad?
  12. Garrett

Thanks, @erichelgeson. The video helped a lot. When replacing the board, do you feel when the board is completely on?
  13. Garrett

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, it shouldn't take much force at all to remove the board? I guess I'm not understanding the "keep motion perpendicular to the neck board" part - you just pull straight up on the board, right? Do you need to wiggle back and forth slightly, or can you just pull off? I may try to cut as close to the plastic connector as possible, if needed. Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill? It's just the CRT in this machine is in pretty good condition, so the last thing I want to do is accidentally destroy it.
  14. Garrett

My main worry is accidentally breaking the nipple on the tube. I just pull straight up on the neck board, correct?
  15. Garrett

I've heard people mention that you should cut the glue. I even noticed in the service manual for the Classic/C II that it says you need to cut the glue using a craft knife. But, then again, I'm guessing after 29 years the glue probably isn't nearly as strong as it was when new. So I should just be able to pull straight up on the neck board and it should disconnect from the CRT base? I obviously don't want to damage anything or break the CRT.
  16. Garrett

iPhone 6 64GB

I still use an iPhone 6s on a daily basis. I've been thinking about possibly upgrading to the SE (2) and letting my dad use the 6s to replace his cheap/flaky Motorola Android, but I don't know. The 6s is still a really competent phone... I'd say it's probably the best phone I've owned. But that bar is pretty low considering I used to use cheap Android phones. After a year and half of using it, it's still snappy and works almost as well as the day I bought it. Mine has 32GB storage and I've never filled it up. About the only problem is it drops calls from time to time, but I don't know if that's a problem with the phone itself or the signal/AT&T. I use the camera on my 6s for taking a lot of pictures. Most of the time, they turn out really nice. I'm interested in how good the cameras on the modern iPhones are, considering the camera in my 6s is pretty good and they've made strides since then. I'd rather pay ~$200 for an older iPhone model than pay $100 for a "new" cheap Android.
  17. Garrett

This newcomer's latest conquest

I knew that machine looked familiar because I remember the Micah sticker on the front. It showed up for sale a while back, but if I remember it was out of my price range. (Though not badly priced for a 128k/512k machine.) Plus I wanted something a little bit newer to start my collection with. I haven't really heard of Micah or APS, so I'm not sure of their history. Though I am a Missouri native - born, raised and still live in Central Missouri.
  18. Garrett

This newcomer's latest conquest

@TAinKC I looked at your username - do you happen to live in the Kansas City area? I remember someone had one of those Micah Macs up for sale here in Jefferson City a while back but I passed on it.
  19. Ever since I received and installed my freshly-recapped logic board for my 1991 Macintosh Classic, the machine has been reliable and working wonderfully. (Besides the 1-2 minute delays on startup, where it displays a pattern on the screen. It supposedly is something related to the ROM.) I should say the machine was working great... until tonight. One of my fears was finally realized: the analog board is obviously going to need to be recapped soon. (Although I knew it was going to happen at some point, I was going to procrastinate on it.) Upon starting the machine tonight, it took a couple seconds for the display to come up. When it did, the image appeared to "wave" around the screen. When the machine chimed, it gave me a flashing question mark icon. The hard drive wasn't spinning. After rebooting the computer, the hard drive spun up and everything was good. However, I noticed some pincushioning on both sides of the screen. After about 1-2 minutes of the computer being on the pincushioning went away and the machine ran perfectly fine. So my question is: how difficult is it to remove and re-install the analog board? Specifically, I'm worried about the CRT and the neck board. The CRT on this machine is fairly crisp, so the last thing I want to do is to accidentally ruin it by breaking the neck or the tube itself. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
  20. Garrett

Removing the analog board/CRT neck board

In the photos I took of the machine before reassembling it last Friday, none of the electrolytic capacitors appear to be domed or leaking. Obviously, that doesn't mean anything. If the caps are not causing the issue, what else could be causing the issue? My electronics troubleshooting skills is near zero...
  21. Garrett

Should simply having the analog board bring the machine back from the dead? When I got the LB recapped, I was considering also having the AB recapped. But I decided against it because it wasn't showing any signs of failure, and I wanted to avoid/put off having to mess with the AB because of the risks of removing the neck board. (Am I being too anxious over the neck board?) On a silver lining, recapping the AB would mean that this machine is 100% recapped... nothing to worry about. While I don't believe it is an issue on these "newer" compact Mac models, no more paper/RIFA/filter caps to worry about possibly going bang.
  22. Garrett

That was precisely my speculation, but unfortunately I don't have a multimeter to test any voltages on this machine. My guess is that there simply isn't enough voltage for the hard drive to spin up. When I boot into the ROM operating system and insert a floppy, the drive's current brings down the voltage and crashes the machine. Then, as the machine tries to eject the floppies on boot, it brings down the voltages again causing the machine to reset, rinse and repeat until you break the cycle by turning the machine off. The logic board in this machine was very recently recapped. In fact, I just received the freshly-recapped board and installed it last Friday (May 29.) What's odd is that between May 29 and June 4, this machine worked flawlessly except the delay and pattern, which I and the member who recapped the board think is related to the ROM. (He tested it in another machine with a separate analog board and got the same issue... both before and after the recap. He said reseating the ROM helped the problem, but it persists. I'm thinking perhaps the ROM socket needs some DeoxIT?) I guess the "computer Grim Reaper" visited overnight because this machine was literally working perfectly fine one day, the next day it was acting up, and now it's unusable. And, of course, it all had to happen just as I was beginning to have fun with the machine.
  23. Garrett

I will try to remove the anode cap by hand once I can cobble together a tool to discharge the CRT. An flathead screwdriver (with an insulated handle) and an alligator clip running from the screwdriver to the metal chassis should be sufficient to discharge the CRT, correct? (That's what I've seen in almost every video showing someone discharging a CRT.) I'm assuming it's crucial to remove the logic board from the computer before doing any work on the CRT. As mentioned, I'm mainly worried about the neck board and reinstalling everything. Last thing I want to do is either break the neck of the CRT or reinstall something wrong and let the magic smoke out of something else or, worse, catch something on fire. As for now, I've made a video depicting the behavior this machine is currently going through. I was able to get it to boot into the ROM operating system, but it instantly crashed as soon as I loaded a floppy disk. When it came back up, it went into a "chime cycle" where the machine would crash (thus chiming again) when trying to eject the floppy. I ended up having to manually remove the floppy using a straightened paper clip. Here's the video:
  24. Garrett

Thanks for the tip on the logic board molex connector. However, I normally have the computer set normally when I reinstall the logic board, so I can't really put my hand below the logic board. As for the anode cap, I always thought you could simply squeeze the fingers holding it in place from the outside. Guess I was wrong, though. Tried powering up the Classic today and it was acting up again. I was able to get it to a flashing question mark icon ... hard drive doesn't seem to spin up. (I'm assuming it isn't getting the proper voltage.) On a couple of tries the machine chimed multiple times, one try it chimed probably 5-6 times. Also noticed the pattern slowly goes away. Unlike last night, I couldn't get it past the flashing question mark icon. Guess I'm going to have to have the analog board recapped. I knew it was just a matter of time though... I've heard that the Classic/Classic II are notorious for having bad caps, although any old computer isn't immune. I have a video of the behavior, but it's shaky.
  25. Garrett

I already know to discharge it at the anode cap. I've heard most CRTs from this era (should say the driving circuitry) are pretty good about discharging the CRT itself, but never a good idea to rely on that. When reinstalling the logic board in this machine, I was careful to keep my hands in the bottom part of the machine. The biggest problem for me is plugging in the molex plug coming from the analog board... sometimes I have to put a little bit of force on it to get it to snap into place properly, which makes me worry whether I'm putting too much force on the connector/board. As for the floppy/hard drive connectors, I've found that I can pull the logic board out and feed the cables through the bottom of the frame. Usually there's just enough slack in there that I can plug them in and slide the logic board back into its proper place. But, of course, the Classic has a smaller logic board and is built different from the earlier models. That sucks about accidentally breaking the neck. That would be my worst nightmare... accidentally breaking the neck and hearing the hissing. These old Macs are extremely rare around here (at least for a decent price) so it took a couple years just to find this one. Plus, its CRT is in really good condition. It appears to have been a low-hours machine. Will do. I'm assuming the big cable going to the CRT is the high-voltage one that goes to the anode cap? Also, isn't there a ground screw on one of the CRT mounts that must be removed? Thanks everyone for your replies. This is making me extremely nervous, because I'm afraid I may use a little too much force or may accidentally jostle something wrong and snap! hiss! It might be a while before I'm able to actually get the analog board recapped.