cheesestraws

• Content Count

• Last visited

Everything posted by cheesestraws

1. This would be fun. I am very likely interested.
  2. cheesestraws

cheesestraws' conquests (cheesequests?)

I feel terribly irresponsible because a reasonably large pile of hardware and software has just arrived, but most of this is stuff I was storing at a friend's place in California and brought back with me, which I bought over a reasonable period. So perhaps it's not so irresponsible. An HD20. Was sold as "untested but stored in good conditions". Was expecting trouble from it, partly because it was rattling, but that just turned out to be the light pipe for the LED and actually it works fine! A couple of SCSI/Ethernet boxes, an Asante EN/SC for use with compact macs etc, and a Dayna Pocket SCSI/Link (don't the random slashes in product names look charmingly dated?) to be a companion to PowerBooks. An Apple Ethernet LC Twisted-Pair card, still sealed in its box. I got this because I want to use it but I find myself oddly, almost superstitiously reluctant to actually open it. A boxed, sealed copy of Farallon Liaison Internet Router, which seems to be an alternative AppleTalk routing product that is controlled via the Chooser (?!). This doesn't seem to be available on the garden or on mac repository. The price ticket on it says it originally cost $395, which might go towards explaining it being a bit unusual. This one I really must get over my superstition about and unwrap it, or at least open it. An LC II logic board that doesn't work, to add to my other LC II logic boards that don't work. Sigh. Probably just a recap job but I don't have the time or facilities set up now to do it. *Was* sold as 'untested, but probably works' so I deserve what I get. I really could do with getting a working one (or two, preferably) though. Sigh again. Two PowerBooks I got from slomacuser on these forums
  3. cheesestraws

cheesestraws' conquests (cheesequests?)

And here's the gatorbox in context at the bottom of my rack. It's not a permanent addition there (yet), but I've got it plugged in ready to try out transatlantic AppleTalk networking with @lisa2 , which is going to be cool! It's over in the rack away from my LocalTalk stuff (sigh) because I'm hoping to get some packet captures or at least metadata using port mirroring on that switch, and the little switch on my desk doesn't have that feature. (I always think network equipment looks really cool with all its lights going, but perhaps that's just me)
  4. cheesestraws

Corroded Chip

asking questions is almost never a bad idea, especially when you want to know about systems you're relying on . I didn't mean to sound at all dismissive, so I hope I didn't — perhaps more I should have said "I would be surprised if 'acting a little odd' was a result of CPU damage, but I wouldn't absolutely rule it out'.
  5. cheesestraws

Corroded Chip

I stand to be corrected here, but if the CPU were noticeably damaged, I'd expect rather worse than 'acting a little odd'
  6. cheesestraws

Corroded Chip

The one labelled MC68030? That's the CPU.
  7. GEM and GEMDOS, which are perhaps best known from the Atari ST series, were also ported to the Lisa. Both were designed to be portable, and DRI sent the source for the Lisa port to OEMs that were considering porting GEM as their 'example implementation'. When Caldera/SCO open sourced GEM, part of the random dump of stuff they threw at the folks requesting it was this porting kit. The FreeGEM folks were mostly interested in PC GEM (I was on the periphery of this, fiddling with programming language bindings), and Atari GEM had gone its own way anyway. Bits of it did end up in EmuTOS, though. The practical upshots of this, though, are: the code for Lisa is out there, and so is the original toolchain to build Atari GEMDOS. And @gilles already did a bunch of work to get GEMDOS booting on the Lisa. My "discovery" of the last few days is: not only can you use an Atari emulator and the GEMDOS-on-Atari toolchain to build application code for GEMDOS on Lisa (in fact, for at least my simple applications so far, there's not even a need to recompile), but you can use it to build the OS itself (after a little mucking about - one component was completely missing and I had to hack a replacement together from a combination of Atari GEMDOS and CP/M code). I'll write up instructions for building it soon, but if anyone wants the files let me know. This is a photo of GEMDOS running on my Lisa. You'll have to take my word for it that it's a new build of the code, rather than the GEMDOSFI.SYS that DRI shipped. Now, this is supremely useless, except for historical interest. But I'm kind of tempted to see if I can get GEM itself to run and whether, if so, I can try to run some old Atari software on it, or backport some of the FreeGEM goodies to it. Can anyone else think of fun things to do?
  8. cheesestraws

GEMDOS on the Lisa can be built again!

Yup. But now that I'm using a newer GEMDOS than the initial demo, there is FAT16 support, allegedly, controlled by a flag on the BPB of the drive. So I might try setting that flag and seeing if it works. That will at least get me to a reasonable volume size, certainly more than reasonable by '80s GEM standards... It's probably going to be easier to do it in the BIOS—I already have @stepleton's lisa_profile_io library (stylistically massacred to assemble with the ancient assembler, but programmatically intact) linked into the BIOS, so it would make sense to use that as a basis for this, too. I think squeezing anything else into the bootloader would mean sacrificing the fish, and I like the fish. This was going to be my first stop, definitely
  9. cheesestraws

Homebrew PRAM Batteries

Oh, this is a very clean and neat approach. I like it a lot.
  10. cheesestraws

attachments

11. cheesestraws

Analog board test spare overhaul

I mean that looks kind of like a common mode filter thing, but what on earth is the earth wire also doing wound around it?
  12. cheesestraws

Yeah, GEMDOS already does this. It's one of the things I was planning to fix. It also hardcodes the hard disc to use FAT12 which is perhaps also not ideal. I was slightly afraid this was going to be the answer. Oh well, time to learn!
  13. cheesestraws

Here's a question: is there an approved method of detecting what hard discs are attached to the Lisa, or at least a method that is known to work? If worst comes to worst I will have a look at the boot ROM source, but it slightly scares me.
  14. cheesestraws

RaSCSI Development Thread

This looks fun. I've been meaning to have a play with this for some time...
  15. cheesestraws

DON’T TALK TO ME OR MY SON EVER AGAIN

They look so funny sitting next to each other like that
  16. cheesestraws

Orange PC software

No: go here http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.3/previews/1.3-rc3/ and download FD13-x86.zip. This contains six floppy disc images which you can install from.
  17. every time I feel both guilty and proud at the same time of a hack, I think about the relationship between the sound system and the floppy drive for 400k discs, and I feel not-alone.
  18. cheesestraws

Orange PC software

if you look at the release candidate towards the top of the page, it has a floppy only installer. FreeDOS is probably the option I'd go for, personally. Alternatively if you want to be more period-correct (but legally questionable, which may also be period-correct depending on how disreputable one's friends were at that period, I suppose), there are loads of abandonware places that you can get MS-DOS from. If you want the eccentric option, I probably still have OpenDOS discs somewhere If the card boots OK off the FreeDOS boot disc, to the point of trying to install off the CD, probably about any DOS boot disc out there will work.
  19. cheesestraws

JRL's Conquests

Very nice!
  20. At @Trash80toHP_Mini's request, a thread about the HDMI scaler I found myself using to do vintage Mac stuff on a modern screen. It works, at least for me, really well and I'd recommend it to other folks as well. It is also not *that* expensive. The model is Extron RGB-HDMI 300 or 300 A. I spent about £55 on mine from eBay UK, second-hand of course. At time of writing the cheapest on eBay US looks like about $35, so I may have slightly overpaid, but most seem to be $70ish. This, for me, is pretty reasonable given that I am going to use it a lot. The usual chancers are trying to sell them for hundreds, and I get the impression this may have been quite pricy new. A number of the cheaper ones don't seem to come with a power supply brick. Do not be put off. It just takes 12v, and the pins at the back are helpfully labelled with polarity, so I just knocked a power cable up with a couple of female header cables and a 12v power supply from the random wires drawer. It has a VGA-style input at the back. I say VGA-style because I tried it with traditional Apple resolutions and it worked fine, as well as with PC resolutions. In fact, it seems remarkably un-picky. My Quadra is using a standardish 10-dip pin adapter pretending to be a 21" screen at 1152x870, and all I needed to manually set was the number of horizontal pixels in total and in the active area, and tweak the phase knob until it stopped shimmering. A feature I suspect will be useful for many people is that you can set the image size and position on the output, it doesn't just automatically fill the screen. So, if your screen's native resolution matches one of its output resolutions, you could set the output size to the same as the input size and center it in the screen, and you would get 1:1 pixels where 1 Mac pixel is 1 on-screen pixel. My own screen does not have a native resolution matching any of its output resolutions, so I can't speak to how well that works, but it is possible. In terms of output, it will output up to 1900x1200, but my screens are 16:9, so I ended up using 1920x1080. This isn't the native resolution of my screen but even so the result is pretty decent (I suppose the screen must also have a reasonably decent scaler). Here's a photo.
  21. cheesestraws

Mac Plus or Mac SE?

There's also a number of mouse alternatives available. The magic search term is 'quadrature mouse', the Amiga, Atari and Acorn Archimedes also all used them but with different pinouts/connectors. I built an analogue stick mouse replacement out of junk drawer bits here: And I am really, really not a hardware person.
  22. cheesestraws

Project to install LC575 Analogboard on Color Classic

This thread has been really interesting. Thankyou!
  23. cheesestraws

Great! I'm pretty sure the port was originally designed for the 2/5 (hence the "25" in "LISA25.SYS"). This is one of the reasons I get a strong feeling that this wasn't ever really finished; it was a demo platform, rather than a serious port. Error handling is nonexistent (if you get an abort/retry/ignore prompt and press 'r' for retry, it actually restarts the machine, at least here). I have found so many ways to crash this so far
  24. cheesestraws

Mac Plus or Mac SE?

Agreed; the Plus is lovely as an æsthetic object, but the SE is a markedly better computer for normal use and, as noted above, not really less compatible. I have a Plus out all the time with an HD20, but honestly, primarily as ... almost like a small sculpture, rather than for regular use.
  25. cheesestraws

... it would help if I actually attached the files, wouldn't it. gemdos11-apps.dc gemdos11-boot.dc