All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Is this the one that popped up on eBay recently? It is definitely cool, looking forward to the video.
  3. Today
  4. reukiodo

Best ROM disk for ROMinator / GGLabs?

I'm not familiar with the Performa 550 to know if it is 32bit clean, but from a quick search, I think it should be, so the boot image should work. How are you attempting to boot from this image?
  5. Yesterday
  6. motosega

Macintosh Classic (XO) Custom Rom Disk?

i think i have some 27c400 and 27c800 16 bit eproms too (used for amiga kickstart) hopefully the pinout is the same. i've made a few adapter pcbs like that recently as i've been reprogramming the sound Roms on old drum machines, sometimes they have mask roms with non standard pinouts. i made an adapter with a zif socket with a load of jumpers so i can test adapter wiring before making pcbs, maybe that will come in handy.
  7. BadGoldEagle

How to Install System 7 onto SD Card for SCSI2SD using BasiliskII?

Basically, you need to find a blank image, use Basilisk to install Mac OS onto it (plenty of guides online on how to do that), and then use dd (terminal) to write it onto the previously set up SD card (standard procedure, use scsi2sd-util for that).
  8. Hello Everyone, Following up on everyone's extremely helpful information yesterday, I'm going to try and replace the HD inside my Macintosh SE/30 with a SCSI2SD. One person told me that you can install System 7 directly onto the SD Card using BasiliskII, and that removes the need for all the floppy disks. I've looked around online, and I can't seem to find any tutorials telling me how to do it. I have BasiliskII set up and working on my MacBook Pro (2018), so how can I put System 7 onto the SD Card so the Macintosh will boot up with the SDSI2SD? Also, would this SCSI2SD work with a Macintosh SE/30? Thank you!
  9. Dog Cow

.dsk raw floppy format?

I run Mac OS X 10.5 with MFS Lives! filesystem kernel extension so I can mount MFS and HFS disks using DiskImageMounter. MFS is read-only with this OS X kernel fs extension, so I use mini vMac if I need to modify MFS disk images. I don't "write out" disk images to physical floppy disks. Small files get XMODEM transferred via a serial line from the Mac OS X machine directly to the vintage Mac. Large files get put on a Zip disk for sneaker-net transfer.
  10. maz

Bootable SC20 with IBM disk

Yeah, but I can both read and write once I've booted from a floppy. It's not a hardware/formatting issue. I am pretty sure I need a special driver to boot of the drive as it's a nonstandard 80MB IBM disk and not a 20MB miniscribe as I gather was shipped in the original 20SC. How do you guys boot from a SCSI device configured like this? -- maz
  11. Just picked up a 1400c with (you guessed it) dead PRAM batteries. I've ordered some replacement VL2330 cells and will attempt a replacement. Tearing the 1400c down wasn't that bad actually. Just be sure to get a decent spudger with a flat end for prying apart the monitor hinge brackets.
  12. Hey everyone, I recently bought a Macintosh SE/30, which I use practically every day. The hard drive inside of it is 40MB and is the same HD that’s been there for 30 years. Over the past three/four days, I’ve been getting suspicious that the internal HD is about to fail (or at least will fail eventually). I’m going to get some floppy disks to get all the stuff currently stored on the computer off of it. But, I’m going to get a SCSI2SD drive to replace the current HD inside of it. I do have some questions about it though, so all help would be great! 1. Is there an in-depth guide that’s easy to understand for this process for a Macintosh SE/30? I want to make sure I do everything perfectly as I love this machine to pieces and want to keep it going as long as I can. 2. Someone on Reddit told me that you can install the system software directly onto the SD via an emulator (Basilisk II, which at the moment I’m trying to get working on my MacBook Pro), which is apparently easier than floppies. I have never used an emulator, so what would I need to get the emulator up and working? Some basic research I did said you need to copy the ROMs from the computer. I have no idea how to do that, so a guide would be great. I saw that there is an app called “copyROMs”, but I have no idea how to get that onto my Macintosh SE/30. Any advice on doing that would be great! 3. How can I copy the system software onto the SD card using Basilisk II? It is just a simple case of dragging and dropping from the emulator to the SD Card? 4. Did the Macintosh SE/30 have a ROM file? I couldn’t find any on the internet, and the only model I could find that is similar is the Macintosh SE and SE FDHD. I think that’s all my questions for the moment! All help and answers are greatly appreciated! Thank you!
  13. Quick update from my side. The repaired drive is able to format disks and to go through countless check runs. However, disks are not readable by other drives. Means: zero track alignment issue. Means: a sea of pain. I'm giving it a shot, I've been successful with some 800k drives, but this one seems to be particularly nasty and difficult, as you need to rotate the entire motor... Any suggestion is welcome.
  14. nglevin

.dsk raw floppy format?

I'm confused about this conclusion: This is incorrect. MFS and HFS are both well supported by System 6; HFS support was supplied in the ROM of the Mac Plus (wikipedia). HFS is readable and writable on Mac OS X from 10.0 to 10.5, before the support for writing to HFS disks was dropped in 10.6. You might be confusing "HFS" with HFS+ aka HFS Extended, which was introduced in Mac OS 8.1 with some limitations. Are you using a Mac 128k? That would be the only situation where you need to transfer data as MFS back and forth between your Macs, which is a fair bit more tricky than the HFS route. Otherwise HFS is probably what you want.
  15. PaulM

.dsk raw floppy format?

Hi maz, I am not saying this the easiest way but it works for me....I had this stuff laying around anyway so it didn't cost me any extra money.... -- Get a raspberry pi running linux (debian) on your local network (same network as the modern mac) ... this is a $50 or so investment -- Does your vintage mac have an ethernet connection? If not - you can find Asante SCSI Ethernet adaptors readily on eBay -- now you can ftp from modern mac to the pi, and from the pi to the vintage Of course you may be able to set up an FTP server on your modern mac, and then ftp directly, without the pi. For whatever reason I could not get that to work in my situation -- it may be because my modern mac is a corporate machine and I could not get the ftp server working, I can't recall.
  16. What emulator are you talking about ?
  17. bibilit

IIRC something to do with the way the drive is formated. Interleave should be set to 3:1 and a terminator is mandatory. http://www.ccadams.org/se/hard_disk.html
  18. maz

Yeah, used both Lido 7 and the patched HDSC Setup (for non-Apple disks)... it still won't boot. I can read and write to and from fine after booting from a floppy.
  19. maz

.dsk raw floppy format?

Hi quorten, thanks for your reply. Couldn't get Executor to run, looks like an experimental/unsupported port from 10 years ago. I have been trying to mount those old disk images using standard tools (hdiutil, diskutil) - if it is an HFS volume inside, they can be mounted and read (not written) by hdiutil, however vintage 68k macs with OS6 can't read those volumes. I really want to avoid setting up a windows PC to move a file from the interwebs to my old mac. What software are you using on your vintage mac to transfer files over serial?
  20. Byrd

PowerCD repair

It's a great piece of tech - I'm getting around the intricacies of the drive and a few quirks with the driver installed on a PowerBook 540C running OS 8.1. Burnt data CDs surprisingly mount - slowly - while burnt audio CDs refuse to play under Mac OS yet play tracks perfectly in "standalone" mode when the computer is off. I burnt the audio CD in iTunes 12.9 and it thinks it's a data CD, I'll perhaps need to burn audio CDs on old authoring software that doesn't add fancy things to the burn. Once again, thanks!
  21. bibilit

PowerCD repair

Good to know my repair solved a similar issue. Another Apple liberated
  22. dochilli

Would these Floppy Disks work on a Macintosh SE/30?

If you are interested in generating floppy disks by yourself, here you can find some useful links: http://spt0010a.sport.uni-oldenburg.de/bycmac/index-Dateien/Page661.htm
  23. dochilli

Would these Floppy Disks work on a Macintosh SE/30?

I would buy a SCSI2SD as soon as possible. Connect it to the external SCSI. I think the 5.1 has the option for an external connector (DB25). Format the drive, then you can copy your files. Or buy an external SCSI case and install the SCSI2SD inside. Then you have the chance to change the sd card and use the case with different macs. For fomatting scsi disks you can use Lido. May be good to have this on a bootable floppy disk with system 6.0.8 or 7.1. Here is a description, how to install a SCSI2SD:
  24. corgski

Connecting 68k Macs to LCD Monitors

The Visio E221A1 21" TV which is native 1920x1080 and has VGA in has managed to sync with every resolution and frequency I've been able to get out of my 68k macs, including oddball ones like 832x624@72Hz. It's also been able to display the 800x600x95Hz video output on my iMac G3.
  25. Scott Baret

LC/LCII/LCIII power connector

Chances are good it was proprietary, albeit given to three manufacturers of the PSU. I believe Apple designed it alongside TDK, at least from what I recall of early notes on the LC. I'd say about 90% of LCs have TDK PSUs. The other 10% were made by Astec and Delta. Delta PSUs are easy to spot, as they have black switches. (They also are more reliable from my experience, as are the Astecs, but any LC PSU should be re-capped regardless as preventative maintenance). I've worked with countless computers over the years and have yet to find any other connector which even remotely resembles the LC PSU connector.
  26. Byrd

PowerCD repair

Another PowerCD working! Thanks to the advice of @bibilit The grey disk/motor spindle on mine had seized or someone pushed it in firmly when trying to put a CD in. This resulted in a spindle with lots of friction that the CD motor couldn't spin freely to read a CD, the CD refused to move. As my PowerCD was pretty rough I took it apart, it dismantles fairly easily. Be aware of there are three cables to disconnect along the way (which are fairly hard to yank out); and the lens laser --> PCB ribbon cable is very short and fragile. With the unit apart, you get get better access to the lens and grey disk, and there is also a cut away of metal allowing you to get a very fine screwdriver in (not really visible with just the tray open). I lubricated penetrating oil around the front and back of the grey disk/motor, left it be for a while then gently shuffled the the flat screwdriver head under the disk, and heard a satisfying "pop" as it came out a fraction of a mm. The grey disk/spindle could now be moved smoothly. Packed it all up, and it fired up an audio CD straight away I'd never seen this unit working, so it was great to fix something vintage and Apple without it taking days and finding other issues along the way! JB
  27. Last week
  28. Trash80toHP_Mini

Takky power supply mod. Help please!

Dunno, but here's another diagram from the .jp CC hackers: Maybe looking at it a different way might help?
  29. Jaek_3

Takky power supply mod. Help please!

Actually thinking about it, is it possible that installing just the voltage regulator will stabilize the board’s performance?
  1. Load more activity